PDA

View Full Version : Finest Swordsman build

gooddragon1
2013-11-15, 03:28 PM
xxxxxxxxxxxx

Emperor Tippy
2013-11-15, 03:56 PM
Why are you putting Swordsage so early in the build?

gooddragon1
2013-11-15, 04:11 PM
Why are you putting Swordsage so early in the build?

Faster shadow blade access.

gorfnab
2013-11-15, 04:27 PM
Here is a Swordsman build I came up with awhile ago. Maybe you can salvage something out of it.

Human or Strongheart Halfling
1. Cobra Strike (UA) Decisive Strike (PHBII) Monk - Carmendine Monk, Combat Expertise, B: Dodge
2. Cobra Strike (UA) Monk - B: Mobility
3. Swashbuckler - Deadly Defense, B: Weapon Finesse
4. Swashbuckler
5. Swashbuckler
6. Thief Acrobat - Combat Reflexes
7. Thief Acrobat
8. Thief Acrobat
9. Thief Acrobat - Einhander
10. Thief Acrobat
11. Warblade
12. Warblade or Duelist - Ironheart Aura
13. Duelist
14. Duelist
15. Duelist - Robilar's Gambit
16. Duelist
17. Duelist
18. Duelist - Stormgaurd Warrior
19. Duelist
20. Duelist

Levels 10 through 12 can be rearranged depending on your needs. The current setup gives you Improved Evasion and Uncanny Dodge at these levels. However if you don't need Improved Evasion take one less level of Thief Acrobat and move the first level of Warblade to level 10. If you don't need Uncanny Dodge don't take the 2nd level of Warblade and instead go into Duelist a level early. If you don't need either abilities take Warblade at level 10 and enter Duelist at level 11.

If flaws are available pick up EWP: Broadblade Shortsword (pre-errata version if possible) or Versatile Unarmed Strike and Snap Kick (may need to rearrange later feats). If traits are available pick up Cautious.

The Monk and Swashbuckler levels (levels 1 through 5) can be switched around to taste. I personally like Swash 1/ Monk 2/ Swash 2

Morithias
2013-11-15, 04:29 PM
I don't see any Bard levels.

After all everyone knows Tandum is the greatest swordsman in the world.

....i'm sorry. I'll leave now, I couldn't resist.

herrhauptmann
2013-11-15, 05:19 PM
If you're only taking dodge for prereqs, I'd recommend taking one of the alternate dodge feats instead. Desert Wind or Expeditious dodge. Also Midnight Dodge, but I'm pretty sure that's an Incarnum feat.

Those feats count as dodge for purposes of prereqs. Unfortunately, they don't always work well with other feats in the dodge line. For instance any feat that only works on your Dodge Target, and well, if you haven't declared a Dodge target, obviously that feat won't work.

Don't go above a +3 on your weapon. If there's no weapon crystals, you really don't even need to go above a +1.
Your weapon needs warning and eager. Maybe +1 bootblades of warning and eager.

For defense, AC is a mugs game. It's better to get miss chances. Or, at least stack dodge and deflection modifiers to AC. That's a lot better than just trying to jack your regular AC up. Check 'smoking' in lords of darkness.

It seems like you're going down the line for a Jack B Quick build. (http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-character-optimization/threads/1062806)
"That's him? That's the notorious Jack B. Quick?"
"Indeed, sir. Have a care...you may be a fine swordsman, but he's the fastest sword in the duchy!"

"Bah." Kothos sauntered forward, his greatsword slung casually over one massively-muscled shoulder. He eyed his opponent scornfully. The man didn't look like much. Average height, not particularly muscular, armed with a plain longsword and handaxe. "You, there! They say you're the fastest sword in the duchy."

The unassuming-looking swordsman smiled thinly. "In the world," he replied, quietly.

Kothos sneered. "Let's find out. Come at me!"

As Kothos assumed a fighting stance, Quick stepped in and struck, once...a stinging, insulting blow. Kothos growled. "That's it? So much for the fastest sword in the world. Goodbye!" So saying, he raised his greatsword for a lethal downswing.

A split-second later, Kothos lay sprawled on the ground, bleeding from half a dozen wounds. His opponent nonchalantly considered a small gash on his shoulder--barely a scratch. "Like I said," he addressed the air. "In the world."

In the spirit of Snow Savant's Chain Gatling Tripper, I offer Jack B. Quick.

Human Fighter 20

1. TWF, Dodge, WF (Longsword)
2. Combat Expertise
3. Improved Trip
4. WF (Handaxe)
6. Improved TWF, High Sword Low Axe
8. Combat Reflexes
9. Karmic Strike
10. Double Hit
12. Robilar's Gambit, Mobility
14. Elusive Target
15. Power Attack
16. Overpowering Attack
18. Improved Unarmed Strike, Defensive Throw
20. Sidestep

The basic notion of the character is simple: for every strike of the opponent's, he will get repeated strikes in return. Early in his life, he's a fairly straightforward two-weapon fighter. Once he hits level 9, though, he begins to shift to his trademark fighting style--his opponent hits him, he strikes back with sword and dagger, trips, and hits again with the sword.

By level 12, he's a full-fledged menace. For every hit by the opponent, Jack will get the following attack sequence: sword-axe-trip-sword, sword-axe-trip-sword. Theoretically, this is eight attacks; however, since most DMs won't allow a player to trip an already-tripped opponent, realistically Jack is going to get six hits to his opponent's one.

At level 16, Jack gets the icing on the cake. He takes a single attack per round (at double damage.) Any attack against him provokes the retaliation above, ALSO at double damage.

While I'm quite happy with the rough build, I'm not as happy with the sequence of feats. Some important feats get left until late in the build. I'd especially like to get Elusive Target earlier, to prevent opponents from out-damaging Jack with one massive shot. I'd also like to find a way to squeeze in Deft Opportunist.

Thoughts?