PDA

View Full Version : What ignores hardness?

killem2
2013-11-15, 05:07 PM
I'm prepping for my party to enter the "A Gathering of Winds" module.

I'm a little worried because the average party level is 8.2. However that party is made of cleric, rogue, fighter, wizard, barbarian/warhulk.

Not exactly optimized, but not utter trash either. Middle of the road lets say.

Well, there are some nasty traps with particularly high DCs for them. That is just damage, and they have a cleric and a wizard and rogue who can use wands to heal, but the real kicker is this one room has a globe that can put Temporal Stasis (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/temporalStasis.htm) on them, DC 20 reflex save against it.

It could very easily, TKP the party.

However it has a couple weaknesses, disable device of 35, dispel magic check of CL 17, or...

Iron Spike: Hardness 10hp, 180hp, break dc is 36, but it hangs from the cieling.

So what ways can they by pass it?

I could scale it down, but I think they are getting to the levels where, they should be able to handle things like this a bit easier, and they might even gain a level before they even get here.

Malak'ai
2013-11-15, 05:17 PM
Adamantine (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialMaterials.htm#adamantine) ignores any hardness less than 20.
Might take a bit of time to get through the HP of the spike (unless the Barb/WarHulk is slightly optimized and has an adamantine weapon and can pull off a vertical leaping power attack (a lot of if in this but hey, it could happen)) but an adamantine weapon would make it a bit easier.

ShurikVch
2013-11-15, 05:18 PM
What ignores hardness?
Acid damage
Sonic damage
Adamantine weapon (less than 20)

Curmudgeon
2013-11-15, 06:22 PM
Acid damage
Sonic damage

No, to both of the above. All energy types deduct hardness normally. Acid and sonic attacks deal damage to most objects just as they do to creatures: roll damage and subtract hardness. (Animated Objects (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/animatedObject.htm) are creatures with hardness; they follow the normal subtraction rule.) Electricity and fire divide the damage by 2 before subtracting object hardness. Cold divides the damage by 4 before subtracting hardness.

Siosilvar
2013-11-15, 06:24 PM
No, to both of the above. All energy types deduct hardness normally. -snip-

To be fair, many forms of acid and sonic damage specify that they ignore hardness. It's easy to mistake that for a general rule; I know I have before.

Chronos
2013-11-15, 06:32 PM
10 hardness isn't all that much, if you're in no rush. The barbarian can almost certainly do more damage than that, the fighter likely, and the cleric possibly.

killem2
2013-11-15, 06:46 PM
Here's what they see.

SEE page 9, map with blue circle on it

http://paizo.com/dungeonissues/129/DA129_Supplement_hi.pdf

35' circle room (sort of) in the center is a globe maybe 15 to 20 feet. at the top extending down touching just the tip of the globe is this iron spike.

each round upon entering this SPIKE shoots lightning bolts at everyone each round. 8d6 damage each, dc20 for half, dc20 reflex to avoid the stasis.

It WILL NOT attack anyone who shoots at it from out side the room.

the dispel magic only works for 1d4 rounds. the disable device stops the globe and releases a wizard who you were looking for, but they are at -3 hit points and WILL die if you don't stop the lightning.

Pretty neat little adventure so far.

EDIT
I'm also asking because I don't mind dropping something that will help them with this task along the way. maybe a wand with 1 charge, couple potions, a scroll, whatever.

Metahuman1
2013-11-15, 07:49 PM
Mountain Hammer form Tome of Battle.

mabriss lethe
2013-11-15, 09:41 PM
It's on my mind since I just brought it up in another thread a little while ago, the Sonokineticist's damage dealing abilities all ignore hardness.

Rubik
2013-11-15, 09:45 PM
How about Maximized Empowered Greater Dispel + Shatter?

It's on my mind since I just brought it up in another thread a little while ago, the Sonokineticist's damage dealing abilities all ignore hardness.Psionic [sonic] abilities all have that disclaimer.