PDA

View Full Version : Force powered Factotum?

CIDE
2013-11-15, 05:27 PM
This is something of a hypothetical. Let's say it's an "anything d20" game. As in any game that uses a primarily d20 system is allowed into the game but each build is still gone over by the DM with a great deal of scrutiny. Some of the differences are houseruled such as vitality with star wars d20, skill points with pathfinder, etc. That way the systems actually work together within reason.

That said... we can have Factotum and Force Users essentially in the same universe. And a Factotum's skill list just grew a great deal more. Could a Factotum, theoretically with the right feats, be built using force powers/skills alongside their existing impressive class features?

No, no one's trying to build this. It's entirely hypothetical. Could it work though?

Slipperychicken
2013-11-15, 08:12 PM
Do you mean replacing Arcane Dilettante with force-use?

CIDE
2013-11-15, 08:59 PM
Do you mean replacing Arcane Dilettante with force-use?

No, but IIRC (It's been a while since I read the SW books in depth AFB right now) Force usage was selecting the appropriate feats. Once you had the feat then the skills tied to that that is available for you dump points into to operate the skill, etc.

Basically, could the Factotum use said skills (with or without the feats) in order to use force powers? Basically, cheese to get force powers on top of the already semi-potentially-brokeness that is the Factotum?

Particle_Man
2013-11-16, 01:13 AM
Technically Factotums have skills: All as class skills.

On the other hand, I think to use specific force powers you need some class ability that lets you access the appropriate feats, so that might be the bottleneck there. Then again, it has been awhile and I could be wrong.

LordConcrete
2013-11-16, 03:12 AM
My answer is:
Yes, if there is a skill governing force use. If there is, a Factotum can definitely pick it up and pump the skill to hell and back.

If not, no.
Unless you homebrew alternate class features or something.
But, if one is in a game with D&D Force skills, then its already homebrew, so...:smallamused:

Sith_Happens
2013-11-16, 08:47 AM
1. Take Force Sensitivity feat.
2. Max out Use the Force Skill.
3. ???
4. Profit.

AstralFire
2013-11-16, 09:49 AM
You need actual feats to use Force Powers; the skill alone does little (though it's not useless.)

There is a Force Sensitivity feat. It makes Use the Force a class skill for you.
Then there are the Force Training feats. Each one grants you 1+Wis Mod Force Powers. Every time you use a Force Power, you roll Use the Force as an attack and expend that Force Power for the encounter. There are no really effective ways to recover in an encounter that don't depend on luck and spending some time on talents. So you'd need significant feat investment.

Most feats are less powerful than in D&D, but you got a ton of them in your classes, so spending a few Character Level feats on Force Training wasn't a big deal. I suspect it's much more of an issue for the Factotum.

There's also the fact that power in SWSE is quadratic growth, including Force Powers. Growth in optimized D&D is Quadratic or Cubic, and in some cases Exponential. You will probably end up weaker trying to build Force Powers, especially with no Condition Track for them to use.