PDA

View Full Version : [3.X] How to: Dart of Death.

Yael
2013-11-15, 09:28 PM
I read a week ago that there's a combo (with Crusader I think) of a blowgun of infinite damage. I would like to surprise my DM the next session, but I don't know how to do so. Didn't read any way of how to do so. Only remember that there's a stance that threats every 1's as 2's, and another stance (or maneouver) that rolls again if maximum damage is hit with every die you roll. Any help?

Alex12
2013-11-15, 09:35 PM
You're looking for the 1d2 Crusader, I believe.
There's a stance you can get that explodes any dice that deal max damage, and there's a Luck Domain Cleric ability from Complete Champion that turns your 1s into 2s. If you use an attack that rolls a 1d2 while under the effect of that ability, bam, infinite damage.
If you want to be able to do this by yourself, you need 11 levels of Crusader and one level of Cleric with the Luck Domain and the appropriate feat.

Kevingway
2013-11-15, 10:00 PM
Hey, I'm glad to see that one of my threads could get these kinds of ideas across. :)

Note: You CANNOT do the 1d2 Crusader with a ranged weapon. The suggestions for that combination with the Blowgun were misplaced. The only way I've found to utilize this combination with ranged is by using thrown weapons and taking levels of Bloodstorm Blade, which will allow you to make melee attacks with thrown weapons and thus qualify you for the benefits of the Crusader stance in question.

Edit: You could, in theory, throw your actual blowgun, not the dart, and use it with the Bloodstorm Blade PrC for the purposes of the 1d2 Crusader, as well.

Vanitas
2013-11-16, 12:40 AM
I read a week ago that there's a combo (with Crusader I think) of a blowgun of infinite damage. I would like to surprise my DM the next session, but I don't know how to do so. Didn't read any way of how to do so. Only remember that there's a stance that threats every 1's as 2's, and another stance (or maneouver) that rolls again if maximum damage is hit with every die you roll. Any help?

This is why we can't have nice things.
You want to "surprise" your DM by breaking his game with some trick you fouynd online? Really? And people are actually helping you with that?!

Kevingway
2013-11-16, 12:48 AM
This is why we can't have nice things.
You want to "surprise" your DM by breaking his game with some trick you fouynd online? Really? And people are actually helping you with that?!

A counter-optimizing DM could get around this... it really depends on the nature of the campaign. The most the DM can say is "no" and move on.

TuggyNE
2013-11-16, 01:22 AM
I would like to surprise my DM the next session

This sort of "surprise" is not a pleasant one and will probably end poorly for all involved. I recommend against it unless you're doing so purely for exhibition with no lasting game consequences.

Zanos
2013-11-16, 01:48 AM
You're looking for the 1d2 Crusader, I believe.
There's a stance you can get that explodes any dice that deal max damage, and there's a Luck Domain Cleric ability from Complete Champion that turns your 1s into 2s. If you use an attack that rolls a 1d2 while under the effect of that ability, bam, infinite damage.
If you want to be able to do this by yourself, you need 11 levels of Crusader and one level of Cleric with the Luck Domain and the appropriate feat.
I'm actually interested in this ability for something other than abusing 1d2 weapons, anyone got a page number? Can't seem to find it.

Yael
2013-11-16, 06:22 AM
This sort of "surprise" is not a pleasant one and will probably end poorly for all involved. I recommend against it unless you're doing so purely for exhibition with no lasting game consequences.

Maybe it's not the funniest of the ''surprise''s, but he has been doing weird stuff that's ''legit'' among his 600+ HP 11th level human Monks, sorcerer Kobolds winning Strength contests against the 44 die result of our barbarian, stuff like those. Even if it break the game, I'll not use it right away, I'll save it for a nice time, there. Like facing some enemy that needs to be killed.

Edit: Thank you, Alex12 for the information about the Domain Feat.
Edit2: Also, thank you, Kevingway, for pointing out that melee/ranged fact.

TuggyNE
2013-11-16, 06:30 AM
Maybe it's not the funniest of the ''surprise''s, but he has been doing weird stuff that's ''legit'' among his 600+ HP 11th level human Monks, sorcerer Kobolds winning Strength contests against the 44 die result of our barbarian, stuff like those.

Wouldn't it be more useful to confront such odd apparent abuses of DMing power and get him to tone it down instead of escalating further?

Spore
2013-11-16, 06:36 AM
Go ahead. 'Surprise' your DM. It will be fun!

http://cdn-www.airliners.net/uf/121371/phpGi8o90.jpeg

Darrin
2013-11-16, 07:44 AM
This is the original d2 Crusader (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3300686&postcount=38) post by Bassetking.

He doesn't suggest a weapon, but a small-sized character wielding a tiny-sized dagger should work.

Here's a list of more "famous" surprises (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=258580).

(Why do I feel like I'm handing someone a fire extinguisher full of gasoline?)

Yael
2013-11-17, 06:46 PM
awwww yissss~~~~~~

Studoku
2013-11-17, 07:08 PM
I'm actually interested in this ability for something other than abusing 1d2 weapons, anyone got a page number? Can't seem to find it.
The Cleric part that turns the 1 into a 2 is the Luck Devotion feat from Complete Champion, p61.
The stance that explodes dice is Aura of Chaos and is in Tome of Battle, p57.

Grod_The_Giant
2013-11-17, 07:10 PM
(Why do I feel like I'm handing someone a fire extinguisher full of gasoline?)
More like rocket fuel, methinks.

Also, be warned: your DM will probably declare that because you didn't actually roll the max value, the stance won't work.

animewatcha
2013-11-17, 07:21 PM
Imbued healing feat. Luck domain power. Treat 1 as 2s IIRC.

Still is there any particular reason as to why your DM is being this way?

Vanitas
2013-11-17, 07:28 PM
Still is there any particular reason as to why your DM is being this way?
He's probably as mature as his players.

Studoku
2013-11-17, 07:36 PM
You realise that a dubious combo won't do anything against a DM who's willing to bend, break or ignore the rules for his own amusement, right? All that will happen is the enemy will suddenly be immune whatever weapon is dealing infinite damage.