PDA

View Full Version : Undead immunities

Stitches
2013-11-15, 09:37 PM
Polymorph? Baleful?

Zanos
2013-11-16, 12:58 AM
Baleful polymorph cannot affect objects and is prevented by a fortitude save. Undead are therefore are immune to the spell.

There are not explicitly immune to polymorph, but it can't be used offensively since it requires a willing creature. They may use it on themselves or have an ally cast it on them, however.

Undead can be affected by polymorph any object. Although it provides a fort save, it specifically affects objects as well. Using PMO offensively is a solid way to get rid of undead. It's one of the few spells that can take advantage of their weak fortitude save.

Note that some specific undead, such as liches, have blanket immunity to polymorph effects that they have not cast themslves.

Deophaun
2013-11-16, 01:06 AM
Though spark of life will allow you to temporarily suspend their immunity to fort saves (and other things) if you absolutely positively have to turn a ghoul into a toad.

Karnith
2013-11-16, 08:31 AM
They may use it on themselves or have an ally cast it on them, however.
They generally can't even do that, since Polymorph targets a willing, living creature.

Mnemnosyne
2013-11-16, 09:29 AM
They generally can't even do that, since Polymorph targets a willing, living creature.
Wow...I never noticed that before, nor had anyone ever pointed it out to me. I had always assumed liches could cast polymorph on themselves.

Draconic Polymorph, I notice, has no such limitation (since its target line is 'you') so I suppose it's the go-to spell for undead trying to polymorph themselves.

Harbinger
2013-11-16, 10:16 AM
Wow...I never noticed that before, nor had anyone ever pointed it out to me. I had always assumed liches could cast polymorph on themselves.

Draconic Polymorph, I notice, has no such limitation (since its target line is 'you') so I suppose it's the go-to spell for undead trying to polymorph themselves.

Liches can cast polymorph on themselves.

Liches have immunity to cold, electricity, polymorph (though they can use polymorph effects on themselves), and mind-affecting attacks.

Sception
2013-11-16, 10:24 AM
They can use polymorph effects on themselves, but only if they're a legal target for that effect to begin with. Polymoph only targets 'living creatures', so they can't cast it on themselves. Polymorph Any Object is a polymorph effect that targets 'creatures or nonmagical objects', so they're a legal target and can cast it on themselves, though other creatures, friendly or enemy, cannot cast it on them.

Zanos
2013-11-16, 02:04 PM
That's actually hilarious. I wonder how many official WoTC liches have polymorph prepared and can't even use it.