PDA

View Full Version : Looking for price of this sword any recommendations?

Suzaku
2007-01-10, 04:49 PM
Although this would be a planed loot but I was wondering roughly the price for wealth by level reasons.

Sword of Tu’La
Medium Bastard Sword
+1 ~ +3
Good align weapon
Bonus Feat: Exotic Weapon Proficiency Bastard Sword
Made of Star Metal (For damage reduction it is considered to be Cold Iron, Adamantine and Sliver and weighs as much Mithral)
+0~2d6 Holy damage on evil creatures and additional 0~2d8 on successful critical hit on evil creatures
Any evil creature attempting to wield or carry it temporarily suffers two negative levels until they no longer carry it.

Lore:

High above in the floating island known as Tu’La lays a legendary sword known as The Sword of Tu’La. Its blade halfway embedded into the ground where it laid for many millennia after the fall of the Zerdians (Ancient civilization that was highly advance in both magic and technology) its power slowly began to fade to the point it became a +1 good align star metal bastard sword.

Notes: Taking it to two special Zerdian ruins would restore the sword back to its full power. Taking it to one special ruin would add 1d6 holy damage and additional 1d8 with critical on evil creatures and finally when fully powered it will do 2d6 and 2d8 respectively.

Star Metal is metal manufactured by Zerdian Empire, which was highly durable and lightweight, and because most of it comes from falling satellites it’s often referred to as star metal. There are no known ways of manufacturing star metal and star metal is highly sought after and because of rarity it’s impossible to find star metal in the open market.

X15lm204
2007-01-10, 04:55 PM
Hmmmmmmmm...
This sounds rather like the Master Sword in Wind Waker...

Seffbasilisk
2007-01-10, 06:24 PM
Just make it an artifact. Artifacts don't go by WBL. Give it some smarts, and make it empathic so it just urges them to do things, IE: Rescue the princess! Wear a stupid hat! Deal with a boat that talks!

oriong
2007-01-10, 06:45 PM
Agreed, it doesn't really look like something that falls easily into the WBL, but it also isn't something you need to worry about that much either, WBL isn't a straightjacket and it's 'basic' power level is fairly obvious.

main problem is the fact that you haven't set the abilities. The difference between a +1 sword and a +3 sword is pretty big.

Let's go with +3 in this case, so it's a +3 sword, holy, and made of mithral, so that's 53,035 gp (35 base + 3,000 mithral, +50,000 enhancement).

It's also got something like a 'holy burst' effect, so we'll take a page from the elemental bursts and increase enhancement bonuses by another +1, that makes it 75,035 gp.

Now, the 'treat it as everything' is a bit tougher, but there's an enhancement called 'sure striking' that makes the weapon act as though it is any given alignment. just in theory let's say this enhancement is just as powerful (it's probably actually stronger). That's another +1, so it's 101,035 gp.

Now, the auto-proficiency, I'd drop it honestly, but if you feel the need I'm fairly sure a 'proficient weapon' enhancement exists or existed at some point. Let's say it's another +1 making for a final cost of 131,035. This also breaks the '+5 special ability' maximum, meaning it's either an artifact or epic.

Ikkitosen
2007-01-10, 06:50 PM
This also breaks the '+5 special ability' maximum, meaning it's either an artifact or epic.

Where's this rule? I thought the only rule was that you couldn't go past +10 without some Epic cost. +1 sword with +9 abilities should be fine. Am I wrong? And if so can you quote a reference please?

oriong
2007-01-10, 07:10 PM
looks like you're right, the only +5 limit is on enhancement bonus, not special abilities.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-01-10, 07:16 PM
The only restriction is on enhancement bonuses, which must be between +1 and +5.

Magic weapons have enhancement bonuses ranging from +1 to +5.
A single weapon cannot have a modified bonus (enhancement bonus plus special ability bonus equivalents) higher than +10. A weapon with a special ability must have at least a +1 enhancement bonus.

EDIT: I am really slow, sorry oriong.

Fizban
2007-01-10, 11:50 PM
Hmmmmmmmm...
This sounds rather like the Master Sword in Wind Waker every Zelda game ever made...
Fixed your post.

Suzaku
2007-01-11, 12:01 AM
Wind Waker is only Zelda game I know where sword power is water down and needs to goto temples to restore its power.

Behold_the_Void
2007-01-11, 12:55 AM
By the way, it's "rune", not "ruin."

Skyserpent
2007-01-11, 01:01 AM
Um... Starmetal is an actual material that stuff can be made out of. It was in Complete Arcane, which I do not have with me at this moment...

Mewtarthio
2007-01-11, 01:01 AM
Incidentally, Crystal Keep's document of Artificer Infusions contains a big list of various special abilities. According to that, Underdark contains Metalline weapons (+2 price bonus) that can change metal type to, say, adamantine or cold iron. Your "Star Metal" seems similar, though it's automatic.

Ontomancer
2007-01-11, 03:05 PM
For the record, there is an auto-proficiency enchantment you can add to a sword, it's in CA and it's a +2 bonus (Clearly intended to save a wizard a precious feat at the cost of weapon power), and also in CA there is Star Metal, even a PrC that revolves around it, the game treats it as identical to Adamantine for DR purposes, so you might want to change the name to avoid confusion.

On a whole other tangeant, has anyone else noticed that Adamantine seems to be a fancy name for Stainless Steel? I mean, solid nickel-Iron meteorites are well-documented, and the first Bowie Knife is even reputed to be made from one, according to the unconfirmed legend. Since such a weapon would cut an iron sword in half irl, as well as make much better armor, you have to wonder if the DnD world is just about to end the iron age.

Or maybe I'm a huge dork for giving it that much thought.

Nah, it can be both.:smallcool:

Everyman
2007-01-11, 03:12 PM
Um... Starmetal is an actual material that stuff can be made out of. It was in Complete Arcane, which I do not have with me at this moment...

Ah, but what you are referencing is actually GREEN Starmetal. It's entirely possible that this is homebrew material or inspired by the apparent properties of Rich's starmetal in the comic.

Suzaku
2007-01-11, 03:14 PM
If that's the case I rather change name of the CA's star metal, I've always thought Rich made custom metal for his Star Metal ^^'

Suzaku
2007-01-11, 03:28 PM
Ah, but what you are referencing is actually GREEN Starmetal. It's entirely possible that this is homebrew material or inspired by the apparent properties of Rich's starmetal in the comic.

Not really I imagined my metal to similar to the metal in the game Home World. A civilization lost their technology discovered they did not come from the planet they were on and this starship had metals that was superior to their own.

However in my world everyone did evolve on the same planet but the manufacturing techniques of developing star metal were lost. So now majority of the star metal are in satellites that occasionally fall back down onto the planet. For example lets say we launched large amounts of titanium into space in the form of various kinds of space stations or satellites. And then our technology regress far enough back to medieval times and we lost the ability to manufacture new titanium and occasionally some of these satellites fall back down to earth and our medieval ancestors called this metal star metal instead of titanium.

SpiderBrigade
2007-01-11, 03:39 PM
By the way, it's "rune", not "ruin."

Only if you're talking about mystical symbols.
In this case I"m pretty sure he means ancient temples or similar, in which case "ruins" sounds exactly right.

Norsesmithy
2007-01-11, 03:54 PM
On a whole other tangeant, has anyone else noticed that Adamantine seems to be a fancy name for Stainless Steel? I mean, solid nickel-Iron meteorites are well-documented, and the first Bowie Knife is even reputed to be made from one, according to the unconfirmed legend. Since such a weapon would cut an iron sword in half irl, as well as make much better armor, you have to wonder if the DnD world is just about to end the iron age.
Not really, Stainless steel is high Cromium, Nickel steel is very different.

Cromium steel is quite hard, but it is excessively brittle, Nickel steel on the other hand, for instance most meteoric steel, is excessively heavy, but less brittle than Carbon steel of similar hardness. Other typical alloys resulting from the use of meteors as ore are high in colbalt, which also increases ductility and durability, at expense of lightness. Some meteorites even contain significant alloys of tungsten, which can massively increase density, while improving edge retention, and brittleness.

I don't really know if any of these are analagous to adamantine, as few, except the Tungsten steel mesurably affect cutting ability, compared to temper method, and the Tungsten Nickel Steel made from some meteorites isn't really more durable than standard Nickel Colbalt Steel.

Yakk
2007-01-11, 04:48 PM
Damage:
1d10 damage
+3 to hit
+3 to damage
+2d6 Holy damage
+2d8 Holy Burst damage
Attributes: Cold Iron, Adamantine, Silver, Good

2d6 damage to evil critters and the Good attribute is worth +2.

A damage reduction type is worth, say, 1/2 of 1 plus. 3 damage reduction types is 1.5 plusses.

+3 to hit +3 to damage is 3 plusses.

1d10 damage is about the same as 1d8+1 damage. That is less than 1 plus.

+2d8 Holy burst damage... I'd say more than +1, less than +2. I'd call this, and the 1d10 over the standard 1d8 damage, and 3 damage types to be worth a total of +3 to +4.

The negative levels is mostly flavour.

So:
+3 (base) +2 (Holy) +3 to +4 (other abilities)
+8 to +9 total

Say, ~150,000 gp total @ +3, 110,000 gp @ +2 and 90,000 gp @ +1.

It is a damn good weapon.

Behold_the_Void
2007-01-12, 01:12 AM
Only if you're talking about mystical symbols.
In this case I"m pretty sure he means ancient temples or similar, in which case "ruins" sounds exactly right.

Hmmm... upon rereading it that may be the case. Carry on :smallsmile: