PDA

View Full Version : Would claws help you climb

Jgosse
2013-11-15, 09:57 PM
Just a thought but is it reasonable to give creatures with a natural claw attack a bonus on climb checks?

Flickerdart
2013-11-15, 09:59 PM
Not really - all bears have claws, but many are not very good at all at climbing trees. And having claws doesn't help you at all when the thing you're trying to climb is too hard to sink the claws into.

Zanos
2013-11-15, 10:11 PM
You could say that a creature with claws is treated as having a MWK climb tool, and gets a +2 circumstance bonus on climb checks.

Of course, you'd have to do that on a case by case basis. Lots of claws simply aren't as nimble as hands would be.

Manly Man
2013-11-16, 04:05 AM
Not really - all bears have claws, but many are not very good at all at climbing trees. And having claws doesn't help you at all when the thing you're trying to climb is too hard to sink the claws into.

Considering how much more common black bears are than brown bears, I would say that there are more of them that are able to climb trees than not. I used to live in Alaska, and damn near every bear that wasn't an overweight grizzly or a Kodiak could scale a tree, and most likely faster than you could.

Der_DWSage
2013-11-16, 04:08 AM
I'd have to say...not really? Like Flicker said, there's a big difference between...

1)Claws actually shaped to assist in climbing
2)Substances that are soft enough for the claws to give you a bonus
and 3)Claws that are meant for killing things rather than climbing.

It'd be a case by case basis, really. And most times that it would get a bonus would be circumstantial, such as climbing trees rather than a sheer rock wall.

IAmTehDave
2013-11-16, 04:37 AM
AFAIK any race that has claws that would help it in climbing either has a climb speed, or gets a racial bonus to the climb skill.

I forget if any spells/items/powers that grant claws give any bonuses to the climb skill, but they would have to spell that out for it to work.

Unless the claws were retractable or specifically designed for climbing, they might even grant a penalty to climb, because it's harder to grip a small handhold with a rigid claw than with more nimble fingers.

Though let's not bring up the topic of goats. They made pacts with demons to be able to climb like they do.

Curmudgeon
2013-11-16, 04:58 AM
Just a thought but is it reasonable to give creatures with a natural claw attack a bonus on climb checks?
Is it reasonable to give creatures with fingers a bonus on Climb checks? Fingers, in most circumstances, are much better for climbing than claws.

Spore
2013-11-16, 05:26 AM
Considering how much more common black bears are than brown bears, I would say that there are more of them that are able to climb trees than not. I used to live in Alaska, and damn near every bear that wasn't an overweight grizzly or a Kodiak could scale a tree, and most likely faster than you could.

Why am I picturing you like this?

http://overlymanlyman.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/overly-manly-man-weigth-of-being-man-580x580.jpg

Claws give an advantage there is no doubt. Still, check dog/wolf claws and cat claws. Their build is entirely different.

Feint's End
2013-11-16, 06:27 AM
meh ... in game terms they shouldn't and also realistically speaken they won't in most cases but it entirely depends on the type of claws.

For example the power Claws of the Beast lets your fingernails grow to claws and those won't assisst you in climbing ... you'll actually need more strength to climb since they widen the angle and pressure you have to put against a wall to stay on it. And for climbing trees you are in a disadvantage because you have longer "fingers" which aren't very flexible.

Claws of a cat? Sure why not ... but the reason they help you climb is not really because of the claws themself but merely because of the angle you can use them. Cats actually have some flexibility in how to move their claws. You should also note that cats just can use them to climb because they are very small and don't need to hold an exponantially higher weight with their claws.

Most claws in D&D (especially those made for combat) are not formed for the flexibility you need to climb. They are extensions of your arms so you can use them with optimal power and most of the time just aren't really flexible enough to make striking with the possible in the first place.

So conclussion? Some of them might do but they probably shouldn't in general since they are weapons and the difference between a weapon and a tool made for something is pretty harsh.

Jgosse
2013-11-16, 08:13 AM
Sorry I posted and fled but the bar got busy. The claws in question are half dragon goblin claws. I have this idea to have a group of these little monsters falling down from the ceiling, or running away up a tree or a wall.

Lyndworm
2013-11-16, 08:39 AM
Simple fix, then: use Jungle Goblins (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/environmentalRacialVariants.htm#jungleGoblins) as the base creature.

Yuki Akuma
2013-11-16, 09:14 AM
Do you know what the real life animals that are the undisputed masters of climbing have?

Hands.

If anything, humanoids should get a bonus to Climb checks.

Ruethgar
2013-11-16, 10:10 AM
Do you know what the real life animals that are the undisputed masters of climbing have?

Hands.

If anything, humanoids should get a bonus to Climb checks.

Squirrels are not humanoids and are probably the most nimble climbers. Apes and monkeys are also not humanoids and are much better climbers than humanoids. Lizards, whether clawed or padded, are often good climbers and among the only creatures that can scale glass.

I would agree with previous statements that sometimes claws help, sometimes they hinder and it would probably be a racial bonus already listed. In the case of a half-dragon, I wouldn't give them a bonus, but Spider Goblins and Jungle Goblins are fine climbers and might be better bases for your monsters.

awa
2013-11-16, 10:20 AM
snakes are also surprisingly good climbers.

But that said i dont think claws in themselves should give a bonus to climbing becuase like others have said the whole monkeys and related critters usually don't have claws and when they do they arn't for climbing.

that said if you are the dm and think that goblins scampering about the ceiling makes the adventure better then clearly the goblins claws are adapted for climbing.

Keneth
2013-11-16, 11:08 AM
Also goats (http://i40.tinypic.com/2ibc0hi.jpg).

Ravens_cry
2013-11-16, 11:22 AM
Squirrels are not humanoids and are probably the most nimble climbers. Apes and monkeys are also not humanoids and are much better climbers than humanoids. Lizards, whether clawed or padded, are often good climbers and among the only creatures that can scale glass.

Squirrels practically do have little hands on their front feet, and it helps they are quite small, so the cracks are much bigger in relation. The claws certainly help in their own way though. Also, gravity scales weird. The lizards that climb glass are exploiting Van der Welles forces, and we are actually becoming better and better at doing this ourselves (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthetic_setae). Claws have nothing to do with it.

Flickerdart
2013-11-16, 12:09 PM
I don't see what population counts have to do with this. We're concerned with species - if all claws help you climb, then all types of bears should be good climbers. Many are not, therefore all claws do not help you climb.

AlltheBooks
2013-11-16, 12:56 PM
If the claws were useful for climbing they would be reflected as a racial bonus to climb or a climb speed and all that entails.

As said, use jungle goblins, done. Giving clawed creatures boni to climb just because they have claws is not the way to go. Besides, as said already unless specialized for it claws kinda suck for climbing.

Dr. Cliché
2013-11-16, 01:08 PM
I don't think claws should give any kind of 'default' bonus to climb. It also comes down to the exact nature of the claws, the limbs to which they're attached and the surface the owner is attempting to climb.

On the other hand, if a DM thinks that a creature's claws would aid it in climbing, there's no reason why he can't just give it an appropriate circumstance bonus.

Basically, I think case-by-case is the best way to handle it.

Also, speaking of goats... (http://www.sillyhub.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Goats-on-trees-funny-pictures-2014.jpg)

Manly Man
2013-11-16, 02:15 PM
I don't see what population counts have to do with this. We're concerned with species - if all claws help you climb, then all types of bears should be good climbers. Many are not, therefore all claws do not help you climb.

My bad, I'd only misinterpreted what you had meant by 'many' in your post.

Renegade Paladin
2013-11-16, 02:17 PM
boni

This is not a word.

Keneth
2013-11-16, 03:08 PM
This is not a word.

It's both plural of the Latin noun and adjective "bonus" or the Italian adjective "bono". :smallconfused:

Yuki Akuma
2013-11-16, 03:11 PM
This is not a word.

Yes it is.

It's not the normal plural for 'bonus' used in English, but it is absolutely a plural for the word 'bonus'.

Comes from Latin, just like 'bonus'. And, despite it being uncommon, people do in fact use it in English.

Sorry.

Renegade Paladin
2013-11-16, 03:44 PM
Yes it is.

It's not the normal plural for 'bonus' used in English, but it is absolutely a plural for the word 'bonus'.

Comes from Latin, just like 'bonus'. And, despite it being uncommon, people do in fact use it in English.

Sorry.
English language forum. Sorry. :smalltongue:

Keneth
2013-11-16, 04:03 PM

Oh, well, then I guess everyone should stop using all Latin words and phrases immediately. No more "et cetera", "exempli gratia", "ergo", "bona fide", "ad hoc", "status quo", or any of the other common phrases. Better start using English counterparts only, lest we incur the wrath of moderators. :smallamused:

Red Fel
2013-11-16, 04:17 PM
In D&D, climbing often seems to be more a product of environment, training or natural agility than of physical structures such as claws. Take for example any of a number of creatures with climbing bonuses/boni/boosts/upgrades/whicheverwordwe'reusing, such as Jungle Goblins, who gain their climb speed due to environmental adaptation; Cloud Anchorites, who gain their climb speed due to training in high altitudes; and Vanara, who gain their climb speed due to being lightweight freaking monkeys.

The claws have nothing to do with it. Could you make the argument? Sure. But by D&D mechanics, the structural adaptations - as opposed to those arising from environment, training or natural ability - seem irrelevant.

Yuki Akuma
2013-11-16, 04:43 PM

You have no idea how English works as a language, do you?

Or languages in general, for that matter.

If several people speaking English begin to use a word, and everyone understands what they mean, guess what? It becomes English.

Jgosse
2013-11-16, 04:50 PM
In D&D, climbing often seems to be more a product of environment, training or natural agility than of physical structures such as claws. Take for example any of a number of creatures with climbing bonuses/boni/boosts/upgrades/whicheverwordwe'reusing, such as Jungle Goblins, who gain their climb speed due to environmental adaptation; Cloud Anchorites, who gain their climb speed due to training in high altitudes; and Vanara, who gain their climb speed due to being lightweight freaking monkeys.

The claws have nothing to do with it. Could you make the argument? Sure. But by D&D mechanics, the structural adaptations - as opposed to those arising from environment, training or natural ability - seem irrelevant.

My thought process was simple, a half dragon gets claws , I picture these claws to be thick, strong, and durable fingernails. If I did not have to worry about fingernails breaking that be cool for climbing. also sharp pointy claws dig into wood, soil, and even small cracks in a rock wall.

ericgrau
2013-11-16, 04:57 PM
If the claw damage is greater than [object hardness + object hp per inch * claw length needed to be inside the wall in inches] and they could feasibly support the climber I'd say this falls under the +2 bonus DM fudge rule. If you have 4 inch x 1/2 inch claws piercing a soft surface then hey bump it up to +4.

As for crevaces I'd say fingers can go in those too so that would only lower the climb DC regardless of the method, and the standard DCs for such surfaces are in fact lower.