PDA

View Full Version : Dragonmark of Death?

GoblinGilmartin
2013-11-15, 11:58 PM
So, I'm trying to formulate a plot for an Eberron game. I'm taking a little bit of everything from the setting's lore. An evil manifestation created out of the distilled sorrow of the Cyran refugees tries to create a body for itself, and then reawaken the 13th Dragonmark (Death) so he can kill them all.

I'm a huge stickler for things being consistant. I'm aware that the dragonmark has something to do with Vol, but I was hoping for some thoughts on what one would DO to reawaken the dragonmarks. They were brought into being from magic radiation, right? My only thought is it might have something to do with the 13th floor in the tower of the twelve.

And please, don't answer with "You're running the game, you make the rules.". I want it to seem to have a somewhat... logical progression that would fit with the setting. The less material pulled out of my butt, the happier I am.

VariSami
2013-11-16, 04:42 PM
As far as I understand, mistress Vol's plans circulate around the prospect of reviving her Dragonmarked lineage. As such, there might be hints available in published adventures and/or novels involving her and the Blood of Vol. However, her not having succeeded despite being among the strongest antagonists and an ancient lich with direct connections to the Dragonmark in question does hint at the possibility of someone not associated with her or the mark succeeding being minuscule.

As such, here is a small idea for modification. I am not saying that you should do as I tell you, and really, your original idea could create an excellent game. Here is the thing: How about he fails? In recreating the Dragonmark of Death, that is. But he does manage to create something else. Maybe a very strong aberrant Dragonmark manifests itself on him? (The book "Dragonmarked" has excellent feat trees for creating more powerful aberrant effects.)

The reasoning is simply that the character is attempting what Lady Vol has attempted for centuries to no avail, and at least my immersion would be broken somewhat by him succeeding in what she could not accomplish.

GoblinGilmartin
2013-11-16, 11:17 PM
As such, here is a small idea for modification. I am not saying that you should do as I tell you, and really, your original idea could create an excellent game. Here is the thing: How about he fails? In recreating the Dragonmark of Death, that is. But he does manage to create something else. Maybe a very strong aberrant Dragonmark manifests itself on him? (The book "Dragonmarked" has excellent feat trees for creating more powerful aberrant effects.)

The reasoning is simply that the character is attempting what Lady Vol has attempted for centuries to no avail, and at least my immersion would be broken somewhat by him succeeding in what she could not accomplish.

I am a fan of the Aberrant Dragonmarks. That is a little better. I'll take something like that into account. So, like, he ends up making some kind of 14th mark?

VariSami
2013-11-17, 04:39 AM
While the number 13 seems to have a peculiar ubiquity in the world of Eberron, and indeed there are 13 "institutionalized" Dragonmarks (if one counts the Dragonmark of Death), calling an aberrant the 14th could have interesting implications. While there are a multitude of aberrant marks which are seen as nothing but unfortunate mutations, something with powers similar to those becoming metaphysically associated with being the 14th would indeed be interesting.

One possibility which I could think if, would be having a connection to something beyond the numerous 13-numbered things in Eberron. For example, there are 13 planes (plus the material, astral, ethereal and shadow), as I recall. While Xoriat is normally seen as the plane of insanity, mayhap even its madness is contained somehow, at least in comparison to what lie beyond the 13 (something along the lines of the Far Plane, although Xoriat is *supposed* to represent it in Eberron)?

However, to return to the Dragonmark of Death for a bit... If you decide to run through with it, the Eberron Wiki page (http://eberron.wikia.com/wiki/Mark_of_Death) contains interesting info. For example, "In his [Keith Baker's] opinion it would not kill". As such, if creator intent is included, the manifestation would also fail in an interesting fashion by succeeding since its motivations would likely not be fulfilled by the actual Dragonmark of Death.

GoblinGilmartin
2013-11-17, 01:03 PM
However, to return to the Dragonmark of Death for a bit... If you decide to run through with it, the Eberron Wiki page (http://eberron.wikia.com/wiki/Mark_of_Death) contains interesting info. For example, "In his [Keith Baker's] opinion it would not kill". As such, if creator intent is included, the manifestation would also fail in an interesting fashion by succeeding since its motivations would likely not be fulfilled by the actual Dragonmark of Death.

Well, I'm sure you could get creative with any dragonmark to turn it into a weapon.

Prime32
2013-11-18, 07:17 AM
However, to return to the Dragonmark of Death for a bit... If you decide to run through with it, the Eberron Wiki page (http://eberron.wikia.com/wiki/Mark_of_Death) contains interesting info. For example, "In his [Keith Baker's] opinion it would not kill". As such, if creator intent is included, the manifestation would also fail in an interesting fashion by succeeding since its motivations would likely not be fulfilled by the actual Dragonmark of Death.Relatedly, all aberrant dragonmarks were meant to be destructive and sinister in nature, even if the ECS book seems to forget that at times (IIRC one of the SLA choices was floating disk).

Big Fau
2013-11-18, 08:29 AM
Relatedly, all aberrant dragonmarks were meant to be destructive and sinister in nature, even if the ECS book seems to forget that at times (IIRC one of the SLA choices was floating disk).

And Shield. And Resist Energy. WotC and their usual consistency.

On topic: Odds are the Mark of Death dealt with either spells like Status and Deathwatch, or spells like Animate Dead and controlling undead/deathless.

Lady Serpentine
2013-11-18, 09:56 AM
And Resist Energy.

Unfortunately, as they make you pick from a list, it won't work, but perhaps Resist Positive Energy on an enemy is the intent there? :smalltongue:

Beleriphon
2013-11-18, 09:46 PM
And Shield. And Resist Energy. WotC and their usual consistency.

On topic: Odds are the Mark of Death dealt with either spells like Status and Deathwatch, or spells like Animate Dead and controlling undead/deathless.

Resist energy kind of makes sense though. It functionally turns the wielder into Iceman or Pyro. If you think about X-Men superpowers anything that emulates one of those is probably a good aberrant mark. In fact looking to the X-Men is probably a good way to get inspiration for the Dragonmark of Death. Controlling or creating undead seems like a pretty good place to start.

Ignominia
2013-11-25, 07:10 PM
I've recently been working with another DM to resurrect the 13th mark ourselves...

Here's what we have come up with,
First off, all true dragonmarks (ie, NOT aberrant) are creative in nature NOT destructive. Initially we assumed the dragon mark of death would have spells like enervation tied to it... but according the Keith Baker himself, this was an incorrect assumption.

We went on to assume then that the dragon mark of death would be about creating/controlling/communicating with the undead. We used spells like animate undead, create undead, summon undead, speak with dead, hide from undead etc as the basis for the marks.

Also, it should be noted that Vols mark is something MORE powerful than a Siberys mark, putting her on par with the power of an Eldritch Machine. The Undying Court wiped out her entire line because "if a single member survived, he could wipe out every living creature on the planet" or something to that effect.

Check out this link for some GREAT insight from Keith on the topic... and please post what you have come up with when your done!

http://bossythecow.com/hdwt/2012/04/dragonmark-418-the-mark-of-death/