PDA

View Full Version : M&M Variable issues

Joval
2013-11-16, 12:25 AM
So, I'm working out this campaign with my family, and my wife brought in the Shinto Pantheon with her character (She's basically Raijin [Raiden] incarnate). We are starting out at a fairly light with a Power Level, a meager 5, but I wanted to generate Hachiman, their version of Ares.

I couldn't think of a way to properly portray a God of War at that level, but then I thought about maybe doing a Talent/Skill Reaction Variable. I am fairly new at this, and I want to know if this is a mistake. It seems like a waste of points to not go for a variable sometimes. What do you guys think? I don't want to get cheasie or cheap with my techniques. Please, let me know what you think.

prufock
2013-11-16, 12:46 AM
I don't know what kind of powers this character is meant to have, but this seems like an abuse of the Variable effect. Variable is meant for characters who change their power suites regularly (shapeshifters, mimics, etc), not as a cheap way to save points. For example:
- Variable 1 (advantages only, reaction) would be 9 points, but essentially gives you access to all the advantages in the game. There are about 70-80 advantages in the game, and this even allows you to use ranked advantages up to rank 5.
- Variable 2 (skills only, reaction) would be 18 points, but would give you +20 to all skills basically whenever you use them. There are 16 skills in the game (assuming only one type of Expertise, Close Combat, and Ranged Combat). A bonus of +20 to any one of them is worth 10 points, so that's worth 160 points right there.

It's fine to do this for NPCs, but too powerful for a PC.

Joval
2013-11-16, 12:57 AM
Thank you for the input. This is an NPC. It's the Japanese Shinto God of War. When I say it is a Skill/Talent Variable, I don't mean just to add points to his skill. I more mean that I would be adding powers with the Skill descriptor, but enable him to do strike attacks, or trip attacks or something like that.

A good example, in the books, is where the speedster has an area strike attack, a numerical representation that he does one punch against every person in their burst area. The variable I am describing, with a Skill descriptor, would more be a numerical representation of their ability to just use martial attacks on wide scale.

With that clarification, is that too powerful?

Jlerpy
2013-11-16, 08:06 AM
Probably. PL 5 is pretty wussy.

prufock
2013-11-16, 11:27 AM
If it's an NPC it literally doesn't matter at all because you aren't limited by power points for NPCs.

Joval
2013-11-16, 07:24 PM
I know, but I want to keep the baddies within the rules. I've never had much luck when overpowering baddies, but for some reason, when I make them play according tot he same level, baddies are always more formidable.

Thanks for the input, guys.

Tengu_temp
2013-11-16, 08:05 PM
"NPCs are built on as many points as you need them to be" is the rules. Rather than abusing Variable and giving the players a precedent to do the same if they find out, just buy all the talents and skills you need for the NPC. Most of them probably won't come up in play anyway.

Beleriphon
2013-11-16, 09:56 PM
I'm just going to leave this here (with a link to a thread on atomicthinktank.com (http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=47027)):

Yahata no Kami the Eight Bannered God - PL 15

Strength 3, Stamina 3, Agility 4, Dexterity 8, Fighting 6, Intellect 3, Awareness 3, Presence 2

Advantages
Close Attack 8, Defensive Roll 3, Diehard, Improved Aim, Improved Critical 2: Hachiman-no-Yumi, Power Attack, Precise Attack (Ranged, Cover), Quick Draw, Ranged Attack 6, Ultimate Effort: Aim

Skills
Acrobatics 8 (+12), Athletics 12 (+15), Close Combat: Spears 6 (+12), Deception 8 (+10), Perception 17 (+20), Persuasion 14 (+16), Ranged Combat: Bow 8 (+16)

Powers
Bird Speech: Comprehend 2 (Animals - Speak To, Animals - Understand; Broad Type: Birds)
Hachiman no Daisho (Easily Removable)

Strength-based Damage 3 (DC 21; Affects Insubstantial 2: full rank, Penetrating 3)
Suti ashikubi (Ankle strike): Affliction 6 (1st degree: Hindered, 2nd degree: Immobile, Resisted by: Fortitude, DC 16; Limited Degree)

Hachiman no O-yoroi (Removable)

Impervious Toughness 3
Protection 5 (+5 Toughness; Impervious)

Hachiman no Yari (Easily Removable)

Mabayui bakari no sutoraiki (blinding strike): Affliction 6 (1st degree: Impaired, 2nd degree: Disabled, Resisted by: Fortitude, DC 16; Limited Degree)
Strength-based Damage 3 (DC 21; Reach (melee): 5 ft.)
Hachiman-no-Yumi (Easily Removable)
Hikou no Ya: Strength-based Damage 3 (DC 21; Extended Range 4, Increased Range: ranged)
Ten no Tetsuno Ame: Burst Area Damage 3 (DC 18; Burst Area: 30 feet radius sphere, Extended Range 3, Increased Range: ranged)
Yajiri: Strength-based Damage 3 (DC 21; Extended Range 2, Increased Range: ranged, Penetrating 3)
Yajirushiwo teishi (pinning arrow): Affliction 8 (1st degree: Hindered, 2nd degree: Immobile, DC 18; Alternate Resistance (Dodge), Increased Range: ranged; Limited Degree)

Hatowo shoukanshimasu: Summon 2 (Active)

Offense
Initiative +4
Grab, +14 (DC Spec 13)
Hikou no Ya: Strength-based Damage 3, +22 (DC 21)
Mabayui bakari no sutoraiki (blinding strike): Affliction 6, +14 (DC Fort 16)
Strength-based Damage 3, +20 (DC 21)
Strength-based Damage 3, +14 (DC 21)
Suti ashikubi (Ankle strike): Affliction 6, +20 (DC Fort 16)
Ten no Tetsuno Ame: Burst Area Damage 3 (DC 18)
Throw, +14 (DC 18)
Unarmed, +14 (DC 18)
Yajiri: Strength-based Damage 3, +22 (DC 21)
Yajirushiwo teishi (pinning arrow): Affliction 8, +22 (DC Dog/Fort/Will 18)

Languages
Japanese

Defense
Dodge 16, Parry 19, Fortitude 13, Toughness 11/8, Will 17

Power Points
Abilities 64 + Powers 35 + Advantages 25 + Skills 37 (73 ranks) + Defenses 49 = 210

Hero Lab and the Hero Lab logo are Registered Trademarks of LWD Technology, Inc. Free download at http://www.wolflair.com
Mutants & Masterminds, Third Edition is ©2010-2012 Green Ronin Publishing, LLC. All rights reserved.

That is my version of Hachiman, or as a full title Yahata no Kami the Eight Bannered God (Hachiman means eight-bannered god). Note that as a PL 15 character he actually has less than the suggest points for his power level.

Grod_The_Giant
2013-11-17, 11:27 AM
I don't know what kind of powers this character is meant to have, but this seems like an abuse of the Variable effect.
Reaction may be a bit much, but it really depends on the group. If the other players' concepts are Green Lantern, the Flash, and Wonder Woman, and you want to play Batman, go ahead and take a power like that-- you'll need the help.

@Joval-- don't count points on your NPCs. No, really, don't. It'll save you a huge amount of time and effort over the course of the campaign. It's not an issue of power, as long as you obey the PL caps-- those are what determine raw combat ability. More points just means more versatility.

Also... why are we statting the god of war at PL 5? PL 5 is a guy on the SWAT team. PL 5 is gorilla.

Joval
2013-11-18, 05:53 PM
Also... why are we statting the god of war at PL 5? PL 5 is a guy on the SWAT team. PL 5 is gorilla.

It's complicated. It's a story arc that has been brought in with one of the characters, Raijin, who wanted to be a new incarnation of the Shinto God, Raijin. Basically, I am playing it as though their whole Pantheon is in a similar situation, and they are all racing to achieve Godhood, which will be achieved once we reach PL 20.

Grod_The_Giant
2013-11-18, 07:10 PM
It's complicated. It's a story arc that has been brought in with one of the characters, Raijin, who wanted to be a new incarnation of the Shinto God, Raijin. Basically, I am playing it as though their whole Pantheon is in a similar situation, and they are all racing to achieve Godhood, which will be achieved once we reach PL 20.
If they're just guys at this point, don't go for high-martial-artist superpowers like that Variable, I'd say. Let that come in much later on, as more skill and power are obtained.

Joval
2013-11-19, 03:43 PM
Sounds good.