PDA

View Full Version : The capabalities of nonliving, np's that might qualify as 'c's

GiantkillerJack
2013-11-16, 12:27 AM
Dear Playground,

I have been wondering for a while now about just what a minion-making character can accomplish. In the past I looked at the necromancer and artificer (with his homunculi and abilities pertaining to golem making). More recently I have heard playgrounders' questions such as "what can skeletons actually do?" (I lost the link to the page titled that).

I still do not understand what a construct, mechanically, is capable of.
Can it use a magic item? (That skill requires charisma, correct?)
Can one take class levels?
Am I capable of enlisting an awakened undead as a follower with Leadership?
Can I mentally command one using Rary's telepathic bond? Does this specifically require a mind?

These questions have grown in the way of my schemes, and I was hoping more experienced players could answer them for me.

Sincerely,
Jack.

TuggyNE
2013-11-16, 01:20 AM
Some constructs and undead are mindless. Others are not. Therefore there is no one answer to most of these that applies to all undead and constructs, since some of each may qualify, and others not.

All constructs and undead can benefit from most magic items; exceptions include spell trigger (wands, staffs), spell completion (scrolls), and alignment-, type-, skill-, or race-restricted. Non-mindless creatures of any type can get past those restrictions if they train UMD and succeed on a check for it. All creatures of any type have a Charisma score by definition (and very nearly all have a Wisdom score as well, also by definition).

Generally, creatures with at least 3 Int of any type can take class levels. Warforged and mummies are good examples of that, although one is playable and the other is not.

In theory, an awakened undead could probably become a follower if it chose to, although such are rare, and it would be non-trivial to attract even one. Non-mindless, non-awakened undead are even less likely, though there's a larger potential pool. However, given that there's a feat for Undead Leadership, it seems best to use that version instead for most such purposes.

Any creature with at least 3 Int may be included in a telepathic bond, as it is (technically) non-mind-affecting; the Int restriction comes from the spell itself.

GiantkillerJack
2013-11-16, 03:25 PM
Thank you much for your help.:smallsmile:

Now, to clarify that I understand you,
Suppose a homunculus is endowed with a reasonable int. score. It can use most magic items, is capable of being within a telepathic link, can plan and think out the consequences of its actions, and could learn to cast spells if it decided to take class levels and had the xp?