PDA

View Full Version : Mineral Warrior Constructs?

unseenmage
2013-11-16, 01:50 AM
I slowpoked and just found the Mineral Warrior template and it's accompanying spell, Mineralize Warrior spell. And I, of course, had some questions.

- Greater Humanoid Essence (RoE186) to change a Construct's type to Humanoid
- (some means of making Greater Humanoid Essence last an hour)
- Mineralize Warrior (Un59) on the temporary Humanoid.
- Profit.

a) I have no clue how to make Greater Humanoid Essence last an hour.

b) I'm not sure but Mineralize Warrior might overwrite the creator's control over thier construct after its 'year and a day' servitude is up.

And c) Would the Mineralize Warrior spell also increase non-intelligent Construct's Int up to at least 1 by RAW? Cuz that'd be cool too.

For added fun the Mineralize Warrior spell can be put into a Runic Guardian (MM2182) and repeated every day.
If the spell doesn't free the changed Constructs from their creator's control then even if the Runic Guardian goes over its allowed limit, control of the Construct Mineral Warriors just reverts back to their creator. If the spell doesn't free them.

Edit: If the Mineralize Warrior spell would indeed free a changed Construct it could be a very nasty trick to use against enemy Constructs, if you could immobilize them in a stone sarcophagus for an hour. (Or use shenanigans to drop the Casting Time down to a standard action somehow.) Edit: And make them willing recipients for the spell.
Not only would they be compelled to serve you for a year and a day but after that they wouldn't be under anyone's control. If the spell frees changed Constructs from their creator's control.

lsfreak
2013-11-16, 03:08 AM
Without knowing the details of the spells (which usually turns out poorly, but I'm about to go to bed), you don't have to specify a target until the spell is finished casting. If a spell had a cast time of 1 year and could only effect a target during a single round, that's fine - the spell simply needs to finish casting during the one round the target qualifies as a target. Similarly here, just start casting Mineralize Warrior first, and cast Greater Humanoid Essence so that the duration includes the time when Mineralize Warrior finishes casting (EDIT: though obviously this requires two casters, which may be less-than-ideal.)

If there is a separate requirement beyond targeting there's always persist. Incantatrix or DMM: Persist on an already-divine spell are always the easiest, and if those aren't available there's chaos shuffling/psychic reformation into Arcane Thesis (Greater Humanoid Essence) with a few reducers and then shuffling/reforming back into a useable build. I want to say some of the dragonwrought shenanigans could possibly do it by turning an arcane spell into a divine one and making it qualify for DMM:Persist, but I've never actually sat down and learned how they work.

ShurikVch
2013-11-16, 06:57 AM
I think, by RAW, it must work.
But in real game it's depend on DM's opinion (like everything else).

- (some means of making Greater Humanoid Essence last an hour)
an hour. GHE is on cleric list. DMM Persist it.

unseenmage
2013-11-16, 01:50 PM
Without knowing the details of the spells (which usually turns out poorly, but I'm about to go to bed), you don't have to specify a target until the spell is finished casting. If a spell had a cast time of 1 year and could only effect a target during a single round, that's fine - the spell simply needs to finish casting during the one round the target qualifies as a target. Similarly here, just start casting Mineralize Warrior first, and cast Greater Humanoid Essence so that the duration includes the time when Mineralize Warrior finishes casting (EDIT: though obviously this requires two casters, which may be less-than-ideal.)

If there is a separate requirement beyond targeting there's always persist. Incantatrix or DMM: Persist on an already-divine spell are always the easiest, and if those aren't available there's chaos shuffling/psychic reformation into Arcane Thesis (Greater Humanoid Essence) with a few reducers and then shuffling/reforming back into a useable build. I want to say some of the dragonwrought shenanigans could possibly do it by turning an arcane spell into a divine one and making it qualify for DMM:Persist, but I've never actually sat down and learned how they work.

Mineralize Warrior does say "(the subject)...must be restrained in a coffinlike enclosure of stone for the duration of the casting."
So yeah DMM Persist would seem the way to go.

I noticed while rereading that the spell also requires a willing subject so using it offensively is out unless one could get their Warforged Domain (FoE) Construct turn result to last an hour or just use the Rod of Construct Control (AaEG).

Kazyan
2013-11-16, 01:53 PM
You could just drop Mineralize Warrior's casting time to a standard action via Dweomerkeeper supernatural spell or Uncanny Forethought.