PDA

View Full Version : Chameleon Class in a Single Encounter

Tevesh
2013-11-16, 09:47 AM
I was thinking of building a Factorum/Chameleon for a single encounter against the PCs. The issue I found was this:

Why bother?

A Chameleon can change into whatever type of class/per day. As this is D&D and all the monsters blow their "dailies" without consequence (because they will only ever be in one fight), why bother with Chameleon and why not build whatever type its going to mimic but better.

The strength in the Chameleon is in its diversity but if the PCs are only ever going to see this guy once, why not build a better Wizard/Fighter/Cleric/Whatever instead of the incredibly versatile guy.

Perhaps someone can help me with this one. You guys have been absolutely amazing at getting my campaign holes filled up.

prufock
2013-11-16, 01:39 PM
At higher levels they get double aptitude, which means you can do 2 things at once.

Rapid Refocus means you could make a decent skirmisher-type foe, who pops in, fights them for a bit, then pops out to recalibrate his aptitude focus in 10 minutes and come back with different tactics and abilities. For added fun, add some binder levels in there with Expel Vestige and Rapid Pact Making.

Mimic Class Feature can also be a nice surprise for characters who aren't expecting it, but nothing spectacular.

If you're going Chameleon, factotum isn't necessarily the best entry. Factotum would be better going on in factotum. Depending on how high a level you are, though, the mix can work ok. Once you have Cunning Surge, all your disparate abilities can come into play in the same round, making an odd sort of nova. Still, factotum is probably better going all factotum for more inspiration points.

Flickerdart
2013-11-16, 01:44 PM
You might actually do quite well with a psionic entry - psychic reformation coupled with Chameleon's rapid refocus would let this guy change basically his entire build, attack the party to land some nasty status conditions, and then disappear while they burn short-duration buffs in anticipation of his return.

Tevesh
2013-11-17, 08:39 PM
I don't use Psionics in my games.

I read through the Chameleon and Factotum Handbooks and I came up with something. The ability to spit out extra Standard Actions is amazing.

I have a question regarding that though:
If I get a Move Action, such as from a Belt of Battle, and I spend 3 Inspiration points to gain a Standard Action, am I able to do a Full Attack?

Chronos
2013-11-17, 08:42 PM
No. You can swap a full-round action for a move and a standard, but you can't go the other direction.

Tevesh
2013-11-17, 09:20 PM
While that does limit the Combat Potential, it sort of brings it back from absurd to good.

I am now seeing why everyone and their mother likes Factotum 8/Warblade 12 builds. Spitting out two Maneuvers per round is just wrong.

mabriss lethe
2013-11-17, 09:38 PM
A Chameleon NPC is better as a recurring foe than as a one shot enemy. It's mutable ability set lets you drastically change tactics between every fight and keep your players guessing.

Tevesh
2013-11-17, 09:57 PM
I definitely agree there, especially after seeing the flexibility a Chameleon/Factotum build can bring, but unfortunately, the flavour for the opponent called for a one-shot that was a Chameleon/Factotum.

I think it would also make a great pairing with Inevitables for class levels, like the Kolyarut, who would change ways to attack the PCs. Every time they killed it, it would come back stronger and change its arrays to beat the PCs. The problem is that crappy racial Int.

Thrawn183
2013-11-17, 10:12 PM
A Chameleon can change into whatever type of class/per day. As this is D&D and all the monsters blow their "dailies" without consequence (because they will only ever be in one fight), why bother with Chameleon and why not build whatever type its going to mimic but better.

As a one off, the only advantage a Chameleon has is throwing out absurdly varied abilities.

I'm thinking riding a dinosaur while healing with divine spells and using arcane battlefield control spells, only to switch to stealth after his mount dies. Don't forget that a significant portion of a Chameleon is how they actually qualify for the class (ranger or swordsage levels really take people by surprise.)

GreenETC
2013-11-17, 10:22 PM
I definitely agree there, especially after seeing the flexibility a Chameleon/Factotum build can bring, but unfortunately, the flavour for the opponent called for a one-shot that was a Chameleon/Factotum.

If it has to be a one shot enemy, I'd recommend not using it until you get the Double Aptitude, then making the build X 2/Duskblade 3/Chameleon 7. That X can be Rogue, Bard, or Cloistered Cleric with Trickery Domain; you just need the Bluff and Disguise. This gives you the ability to pick the best arcane and divine touch spells up to 5th level and channel them into your party's face.

Tevesh
2013-11-17, 10:29 PM
Already built the guy, I don't want to look into any more builds because I don't want an "ooh, shiny" moment and rebuild. This was the last fight I needed to make for that particular level, now I can concentrate on other levels.

The build ends up as:
Factotum 8/Iaijutsu Master 1/Master of Masks 1/Chameleon 3
HP 178
Init +15
AC 38 T 32 F 16
F +8 R +19 W +13
BAB +9/+4

Katana +22/+17 (d10+7)
MW Fey Quickrazer +21/+16 (8)
MW Fey Cresent Blade +21/+16 (7) (Every Attack is twice)

Factotum
Inspiration 14
Cunning Insight - 1 Inspire to +8 to Atk/Dmg/Sav
Cunning Knowledge - 1 Inspire to +8 Skill
Arcane Dilettante - 3 spells - 1 Inspire (Grease/Ref 19, See Invisible)
Cunning Defense - 1 Inspire to Add +8 to Dodge 1 Rd
Cunning Strike - 1 Inspire to Sneak +d6
Opportunistic Piety - 1 Inspire Heal 24
Cunning Surge - 3 Inspire for Standard Action

Skills
Iaijusu Focus +6d6
Bluff +20
Sense +12
Spellcraft +22
Tumble +30
Intimidate +23 (Never Outnumbered)

Chameleon
Mimic Class Feature 1/D - Evasion, Smite (+2 Atk/+3 Dmg), Sneak +1d6

Cast: Cat's Grace, Fox's Cunning, Greater Mage Armor

Spells
1st - Haste x2, Dispel Magic +6
2nd - Dimension Door, Silence (Will 21), Stoneskin, Hold (Will 21)
3rd - Bestow Curse (-4 Atk, Saves, Chks/Will 22)

Feats
- Burst of Speed (6/D - Move Action)
- Dreadful Wrath (When Atk, Shake/Will 18)
- Combat Expertise 5
B Improved Feint

Poss: Monk's Belt, Gnomish Twistcloth, Weapons, +3 Resistance (Trans), Wyvern Gladiator Mask, Eternal Wand of Dispel Magic +10 (2/D)

Edit: I delete things I don't need to know once I'm done, so there are quite a few numbers you aren't seeing here. This is probably one of the most "Plug In" builds I've done, probably due to the SAD.