PDA

View Full Version : Building a city

Master TT
2013-11-16, 11:27 AM
Hey again everyone

This time I'm here looking for inspiration

We have recently gotten a city in our campaign (it has been 4 ingame years, but we time skipped a lot of it)

In this time we have gotten a totally unknown city with no citizens, but a capacity of 2000, and one that is only 4 days from the capital city of the land to grow into a city of nearly 12000 citizens.

We have almost no unemployed and those who can't sustain themselves dissapear mysteriously (they end as slaves or are eaten by a dragon).
They city is really happy and is at 70 something % happiness (yes it can go above 100%) and our prestige is also getting up there at 230 something % (for reference the capital has over 3000%)

There is something unique about our city as well:
Through spell failure 8 layers of permanent fog has appeared with permiating from the city center. The fog keeps growing and is more than 18 meters high and more than 60 hours (2.5 days) of travel in any direction (straight line). In this fog outside of the city there is a ring of jungle that is 36 hours (1.5 days) of travel in any direction (straight line). In the part of the fog that isn't jungle or city there is flat plains filled with scattered boulders.
All this make travel neigh impossible unless accompanied by a patrol of our guards trained to the fog (Hero class level 1 fighters with blindsense 30 feet)

There is a lot more to say about our city, but that shall be it for now.

We had trouble naming it however when we claimed it 4 years ago in it's empty state.

I would like some inputs on city names in common using symbolism such as:

The City of Fog
The City hidden in the fog
The fog city
The city concealed by fog

Our unique traits to use for symbolism are:

The permanent VERY thick fog
The freedom of the city (everyone is welcome, we've got the only ban rascism on the plane as everyone else embraces it, women are no different from men and we also got religous freedom though we've mostly only got netral temples as paladins rule the plane and good and evil religions are in open war)
The acceptance and acknowledgement of magic (mostly everyone think there is divine magic and demon-worship, so what isn't divine is demon-worship)

Edit:

For those who asked here is a bit more detail about the city:

First of there's the fog that is so thick that normal people can't see more than about 30 cm. If the setting followed normal physics you would be drowing because of the water amount. No one needs to drink in the city and they have an unending (albeit hard to collect) water supply. We have access to fog laterns in the setting which provides visibility in a sphere with a radius of about 3 meters. We have put up around 6500 lanterns which was enough for lighting up the city at around 7000 citizens
We have 2 unique products developed and sold only in our city and spread by caravans going through our city. The first is a "Potion of Non-rust" which makes anything it is aplied to unable to rust. We don't know the actual lifetime of it yet but it is estimated a longer lifespan than a human. The second is magma rocks which provides heat and the possiblity for stable fire in any condition (this is our primary fire source for furnaces)
Because of the high humidity in the city it's built mostly of stone and use only very little wood in long term projects.
We have the only caravan in the regions we know about that travels the planes and it only makes a stop at our city on this plane. We can order magical items from it and it is run by a djinn
We have a very high security for our city and our guards are so strong they can be used as an army. Our crime in the city is so low it's unnoticeable.
We have a very specialized city with lots of craftsmen. At this point we have about 8 grandmasters in the city and normally you don't have any at all before reaching capital size.
We also have doctors and massues in the city and therefor no disease or sickness with an extremely low chance of a disease outbreak in the city

Anything else just put in the comments if needed :smallsmile:

PS: The reason why I'm asking for symbolism in common is because we plan to name the city in elven or draconic. We would just like the name to mean something or have some nice symbolism for those who actually know the language

Thanks in advance
Master TT, signing off :smallcool:

Uncle Pine
2013-11-16, 11:51 AM
What about the "Ominous Sea City"? With "ominous sea" clearly referring to the fog.

EDIT: Btw, cool concept!

Lightlawbliss
2013-11-16, 12:01 PM
how about Airstrip One (from 1984)

Edit: London might be fitting as well

Ravens_cry
2013-11-16, 12:20 PM
One of my favourite place names maker is simply to consider the real world cultural analogue I am somewhat basing it on, even if only where I am taking the architectural and fashion cues from, and using that language for a descriptive name, perhaps altered a little to be easier to say and written down phonetically.
There is thousands of real world examples.

HaikenEdge
2013-11-16, 12:42 PM
I will jokingly suggest the name "Daly City", after the real-life city in the San Francisco Bay Area nicknamed "Fog City" by its own inhabitants.

Otherwise, I suggest "Mlha", which is (A) Czech for "fog", and (B) likely to be incredibly difficult to pronounce, making it a possible running joke in the campaign, the city whose name nobody can pronounce properly.

Coidzor
2013-11-16, 02:58 PM
Can a person see in the city without having blindsense?

XmonkTad
2013-11-16, 03:13 PM
"Fogtown" already exists on the 45th layer of the abyss. Best not get it confused with there.

A synonym for fog could work: mist city or vaporholm etc. Maybe the locals don't call it fog. Maybe they have a special name for it like "the cloud" or "gas". That way you could have an ostentatious formal name and a colloquial name.

I like "gastown" as an informal name.

Sarison
2013-11-16, 03:15 PM
Haiken, I think you mean Pacifica, Daly City's neighbor to the south, home of the Fog Festival, coffee shops like Fog City Java, the drink called the Fogcutter, etc. We have a population of 45,000, larger than OP is using.

I suggest Mystvayl, spelled strangely to make it cool.

Ravens_cry
2013-11-16, 03:29 PM
I suggest Mystvayl, spelled strangely to make it cool.
The trouble I see is Pen and Paper RPG, despite the name, are largely a verbal medium. Which means efforts to make something look cool by spelling it oddly is only going to really be seen by the DM.

Gavinfoxx
2013-11-16, 04:56 PM
I have a handbook on some of this stuff... don't think it's relevant 100%, but it could help:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1aG4P3dU6WP3pq8mW9l1qztFeNfqQHyI22oJe09i8KWw/edit