PDA

View Full Version : Elemental Infiltrator - How do I naturally continue this build?

Zethex
2013-11-16, 12:14 PM
After seeing The Giant's Elemental Infiltrator (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9623257&postcount=8) I got the urge to (ab)use its special movement in a build. I went back and forth between several builds for several elements and have now settled on this:
Swordsage/Planar Ranger/Sneak Attack Fighter/Sworsage/Air Elemental Infiltrator 3.
Using a homebrew Trait made by the DM I am allowed to make one skill always a class skill in exchange of having another one never be. Thus this is the best way I saw to get where I wanted as soon as possible, because the campaign starts at level 1.

Now my questions are: a) Where do I go from there? b) How would be the best way to fight while on the way? c) How should I invest those few Feats I have (I am Human and allowed two flaws but two feats must be Combat Reflexes and Dodge and I don't get any bonus feats)?

Here are a few builds I was thinking of:

The Sneak Attack Sniper
I invest heavily into Hide from my first Elemental Infiltrator level onward and use flight and a shooting weapon to harass my enemies. Maybe take a second level into Planar Ranger for the archery Feat. I could also take another level into the Fighter variant and/or dip a level into Rogue to cheaply increase my Sneak attack. Other than that, I guess sticking to the PrC itself is probably good enough, although if you have other suggestions I'm all ears. Also, I have no idea what weapon would be best to use.
Pros:
Dealing damage while untargetable by melee.
Flight allows easy positioning and +1 height bonus to attack.
Cons:
Style not advantageous during low levels.
Sneak Attack only useful if I have initiative or terrain to hide behind.
Sustained damage low.
Swordsage Maneuvers not used to potential.
The two mandatory prerequisite feats are spent uselessly.

The Desert Wind Warrior
I use the Desert Wind attacks and a two-hander (maybe even one with range) to do sustained damage from above. Investing directly into Swordsage after level 7 seems best for this build. I also have choices ranging from Spring Attack builds to AoO builds with perfect positioning.
Pros:
Doesn't need as many feats to be viable.
Style can be used before flight.
Great mobility.
Cons:
Sneak Attack used sub-par.
The PrC seems to make it weaker instead of stronger.

The TWF Rogue
I stick to normal Rogue melee fighting, using two weapons for double sneak attacks. Similar dips to the archery build for increased sneak attacks are also possible. This build is the one where I have the least clue on how to continue at level 7 though.
Pros
Good use of sneak attack and maneuvers.
Cons
Either MAD or Weapon Finesse.
High feat cost.
Less flight shenanigans.
Many maneuvers don't benefit from using two weapons.

I essence I am asking for any suggestions regarding build, feats, optimization or play style, the only constant being the ability to always fly as early as possible due to the PrC (as opposed something like playing a Raptoran).

Zethex
2013-11-16, 05:20 PM
I'll try a single bump. Previous topic name was lackluster and didn't really indicate what this was about.

Werephilosopher
2013-11-16, 07:55 PM
By special movement, I'm guessing you mean the Air EI's flight. There are other ways to get flight, some of which could be easier than taking those 3 levels. But if you're set on that...

Unless I'm mistaken, the first Planar Ranger sub level is level 4, and it alters your familiar. Are you planning on taking 4+ levels in Ranger?

Taking two levels of Martial Monk (Dragon mag 310) can give you Combat Reflexes and Dodge as your bonus monk feats.

Rather than taking the Sneak-Attack Fighter variant, take the Hit-and-Run variant from Drow of the Underdark. Initiative bonus AND Dexterity to damage against flat-footed enemies in exchange for Heavy Armor Proficiency.

I'd say pass on the Desert Wind Fighting idea. I believe Tiger Claw is the discipline built on jumping (for you, flying) and two-weapon fighting; it is your friend. Remember Assassin's Stance, and other goodies from Shadow Hand.

I hope this helps!

Zethex
2013-11-16, 09:42 PM
By special movement, I'm guessing you mean the Air EI's flight. There are other ways to get flight, some of which could be easier than taking those 3 levels. But if you're set on that... Like what for instance? I'm all ears for a way to get it with Good or better maneuverability no later than level 7. Except if you mean expensive items, upon which I'd rather not rely.

Unless I'm mistaken, the first Planar Ranger sub level is level 4, and it alters your familiar. Are you planning on taking 4+ levels in Ranger? Nope. The first Planar Ranger level is the first, which alters Wild Empathy into a, strictly speaking, worse version. The only reason I am taking it is because it is the only dip I found which grants Knowledge (the Planes) as a class skill while also giving a +1 BAB at 1st level. (There is also some Paladin variant, but it locks me into NG and doesn't really fit my fluff).

Taking two levels of Martial Monk (Dragon mag 310) can give you Combat Reflexes and Dodge as your bonus monk feats. Sadly, he's missing the BAB, which I need if I want to start my PrC as early as level 5.

Rather than taking the Sneak-Attack Fighter variant, take the Hit-and-Run variant from Drow of the Underdark. Initiative bonus AND Dexterity to damage against flat-footed enemies in exchange for Heavy Armor Proficiency. Again, awesome suggestion, but sneak attack is one of the prerequisites our Giant decided to give to his PrC. It's already skirting the edges that I am taking a Rogue PrC without a single Rogue level.

I'd say pass on the Desert Wind Fighting idea. I believe Tiger Claw is the discipline built on jumping (for you, flying) and two-weapon fighting; it is your friend. Remember Assassin's Stance, and other goodies from Shadow Hand. That's how I'd probably go for the TWF build, which I am kinda leaning towards at the moment.. But do you mean that you suggest more Swordsage levels after taking flight, or are the two I am getting enough? As I said, I am really fuzzy on what the best way to expand that build would be.

I hope this helps! Thank you for answering :smallsmile:!

Werephilosopher
2013-11-17, 10:35 AM
Like what for instance? I'm all ears for a way to get it with Good or better maneuverability no later than level 7. Except if you mean expensive items, upon which I'd rather not rely.

I probably should have been thinking better when I said that... most of the methods I know are items or soulmelds, and there's no way for you to get melds without sacrificing feats or levels.

Nope. The first Planar Ranger level is the first, which alters Wild Empathy into a, strictly speaking, worse version. The only reason I am taking it is because it is the only dip I found which grants Knowledge (the Planes) as a class skill while also giving a +1 BAB at 1st level. (There is also some Paladin variant, but it locks me into NG and doesn't really fit my fluff).

:smallconfused: Where did you find that? The Planar Ranger I'm thinking of is from the Planar Handbook.

Sadly, he's missing the BAB, which I need if I want to start my PrC as early as level 5.

Ok, but the earliest you can enter Elemental Infiltrator is level 6, because you need 8 ranks in Tumble before you enter.

Again, awesome suggestion, but sneak attack is one of the prerequisites our Giant decided to give to his PrC. It's already skirting the edges that I am taking a Rogue PrC without a single Rogue level.

Assassin's Stance will give you your sneak attack. It's also the go-to stance for sneaky swordsages, so best to have it anyway.

That's how I'd probably go for the TWF build, which I am kinda leaning towards at the moment.. But do you mean that you suggest more Swordsage levels after taking flight, or are the two I am getting enough? As I said, I am really fuzzy on what the best way to expand that build would be.

Personally, I'd consider jumping into Rogue for more sneak attack, as well as more class features available. A few more levels of Swordsage won't hurt if you want more options in combat. I'd also suggest looking at other Rogue prcs; Guild Thief gets bonus feats from a set list, and Telflammar Shadowlord is awesome if built right (although it may strain your feat selection too much).