PDA

View Full Version : Stat modifier twise

Max Caysey
2013-11-16, 01:48 PM
Hello...

So... here is a good question: Is it possible to get the same stat modifier twise to armor class or attack? Or... anything?

Thanks!!!

Flickerdart
2013-11-16, 01:50 PM
Oh my, yes. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125732)

Karnith
2013-11-16, 01:55 PM
If you're asking whether stacking rules allow this, then provided that the abilities come from different sources and that the bonuses are of different types or are untyped, yes, this is possible.

An example: suppose that you have a character with levels in Fist of the Forest and Deepwarden. FotF gives you an AC Bonus ability, which adds a bonus equal to your Constitution to your AC when you are unarmored. Deepwarden gives you the Stonewarden ability, which lets you add your Constitution modifier to AC in place of your Dexterity modifier. The two abilities come from different sources (namely, AC Bonus and Stonewarden), and do not share a bonus type, and hence you would get your Constitution bonus to AC twice when you are unarmored.

Max Caysey
2013-11-16, 05:23 PM
Does it specifically say that this is possible anywhere in the rules?

Lets say that Im an elf with +5 dex modifier.
If I have 5 feat, all of them saying: "You may add your dex bonus, in any, to AC", I would not get: 10+ 5 dex, +5 dex, +5 dex, +5 dex, +5 dex, +5dex = 40??? would I??? Hopefully I would have AC 15!

It would have to specifically say, give a bonus equal to dex mod for them to stack... right?

Example: Battle Smith 1 and Shiba Protector 1... My wisdom is +4... do I now get + 8 to damage???

Chronos
2013-11-16, 05:30 PM
No, it doesn't specifically say it's possible. There are a lot of things that the rules aren't specific about. It also never specifically says that it's possible for an orc to throw an urgrosh at a centaur, for instance. But it's possible anyways, because the rules do cover orcs, throwing weapons, urgroshes, and centaurs.

Likewise, the rules cover Constitution modifiers, Fists of the Forest, and Deepwardens.

Lets say that Im an elf with +5 dex modifier.
If I have 5 feat, all of them saying: "You may add your dex bonus, in any, to AC", I would not get: 10+ 5 dex, +5 dex, +5 dex, +5 dex, +5 dex, +5dex = 40??? would I??? Hopefully I would have AC 15!
Of course you would have 40, if there were five different feats that did that. Such a feat would be rather pointless if it didn't stack, given that everyone gets their Dex to AC, anyway.

Melcar
2013-11-16, 05:37 PM
No, it doesn't specifically say it's possible. There are a lot of things that the rules aren't specific about. It also never specifically says that it's possible for an orc to throw an urgrosh at a centaur, for instance. But it's possible anyways, because the rules do cover orcs, throwing weapons, urgroshes, and centaurs.

Likewise, the rules cover Constitution modifiers, Fists of the Forest, and Deepwardens.

Of course you would have 40, if there were five different feats that did that. Such a feat would be rather pointless if it didn't stack, given that everyone gets their Dex to AC, anyway.

Im pretty sure, that if the bonus is a dex bonus, as your example shows, then NO. You cant have it more than once, just like enchantment dont stack. If it says a bonus( equal to dex modifier), or a circumstance bonus... then the 5 feats would stack!

Emperor Tippy
2013-11-16, 05:48 PM
Yes, there are a number of ways to get a specific stat modifier applied to something multiple times.

Factotum 1/ Swashbuckler 3 can get Int to Damage twice.

Factotum 16/ Monk 1 with Kung fu Genius can get Int to AC twice.

Those two are just off the top of my head.

Generally stuff stacks, the exceptions are below:
1) Multiple different abilities that say "X stat replaces Y stat in Z circumstance". For example, if you have two abilities that say "replace Str mod with Dex mod on melee attack rolls" then you only get Dex to attack once.
2) The abilities apply the same type of non stacking bonus. For example, you if you have two separate abilities that each say "add Dex as an Enhancement bonus on melee attack rolls".
3) The abilities specifically say that they don't stack. For example, the Monk and Ninja AC bonuses.
4*) The abilities have the exact same name and provide the exact same benefit.

*RAW on this one is a bit debatable, ask your DM.

Captnq
2013-11-16, 07:15 PM
Hello...
So... here is a good question: Is it possible to get the same stat modifier twise to armor class or attack? Or... anything?
Thanks!!!

I am afraid the twise modifier specifically is listed as not stacking with itself, regardless of what source you get twise from. In many ways it is like an inherent bonus. However, if you get a twise bonus to say, saving throws, or to hit, or even damage they would be considered separate from the twise bonus to armor.

TuggyNE
2013-11-16, 09:15 PM
I am afraid the twise modifier specifically is listed as not stacking with itself, regardless of what source you get twise from. In many ways it is like an inherent bonus. However, if you get a twise bonus to say, saving throws, or to hit, or even damage they would be considered separate from the twise bonus to armor.

Needs moar blue.

(What even would a "twise" modifier or bonus be?)

Chronos
2013-11-16, 09:23 PM
Obviously a twise modifier is equal to half your twisdom score minus 10.

Max Caysey
2013-11-17, 04:21 AM
Obviously a twise modifier is equal to half your twisdom score minus 10.

Ha ha... very funny, so my spelling is a little off. :smallredface: