PDA

View Full Version : Odd Question

Luna_Mayflower
2013-11-16, 02:39 PM
This is just something that's been bugging me for a while: Before she got Crystal's knife, how did Haley shave? I'm pretty sure arrows couldn't do the trick, so how did she shave?

Yuki Akuma
2013-11-16, 02:41 PM
This is just something that's been bugging me for a while: Before she got Crystal's knife, how did Haley shave? I'm pretty sure arrows couldn't do the trick, so how did she shave?

Why couldn't arrows do the trick?

Why do you assume she doesn't have a razor?

Why are you thinking of the shaving habits of a stick figure? Maybe she doesn't shave her legs. How could you tell?

Fates
2013-11-16, 02:42 PM
Most folks didn't shave back in medieval times, and what with every OOTS character having stick limbs, we can only assume that they're all rocking that lumberjack style.

DaggerPen
2013-11-16, 02:44 PM
I imagine she has a razor if she does actually shave, not that we could tell as this is, of course, a stick figure comic.

Luna_Mayflower
2013-11-16, 02:45 PM
Crystal says something about her borrowing her knife to shave after they get the bone golem back. I assumed she did.

Why are you thinking of the shaving habits of a stick figure?

Why not? I'm just caring about the details.

If she has a razor, why didn't she use it in combat when she had no bow?

Yuki Akuma
2013-11-16, 02:46 PM
Crystal says something about her borrowing her knife to shave after they get the bone golem back. I assumed she did.

Crystal both hates Haley and is less mature than a five-year-old. She was insulting her.

DaggerPen
2013-11-16, 02:49 PM

Crystal was trying to taunt Haley. She was rubbing in the fact that she'd taken Haley's ponytail as a trophy.

If she has a razor, why didn't she use it in combat when she had no bow?

I feel like you are dramatically overestimating the combat utility of a small shaving razor.

Luna_Mayflower
2013-11-16, 02:50 PM
But you'd think it must be something that's done, otherwise Crystal wouldn't have mentioned it, even if Haley doesn't do it.

And if she doesn't, why not?

DaggerPen
2013-11-16, 02:51 PM
It's probably one of OOTS's anachronisms, in that I'm sure there ARE people in the Stickverse who regularly shave body hair, but it's not clear that Haley is actually one of them, being a busy adventuring type who just spent quite a while on the road after hiding out and running a resistance group in which supplies were very hard to obtain, which may have been part of Crystal's taunt.

Luna_Mayflower
2013-11-16, 02:55 PM
It's probably one of OOTS's anachronisms, in that I'm sure there ARE people in the Stickverse who regularly shave body hair, but it's not clear that Haley is actually one of them, being a busy adventuring type who just spent quite a while on the road after hiding out and running a resistance group in which supplies were very hard to obtain, which may have been part of Crystal's taunt.

I just would have thought, if it is a common thing, someone else would have said something now she wears armour that shows her underarms?

Yuki Akuma
2013-11-16, 02:59 PM
I just would have thought, if it is a common thing, someone else would have said something now she wears armour that shows her underarms?

People might not comment because they don't find it weird, due to not living in a modern society where shaving is the norm?

Or maybe Rich doesn't give his characters' armpit hair any thought at all, because, seriously, this is a pretty weird topic to discuss.

DaggerPen
2013-11-16, 02:59 PM

It's a stick figure comic. They may well not have noticed (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0675.html).

And again, it's entirely possible that she DOES shave, with an actual razor that is too small to be useful in combat, and Crystal was just finding an excuse to taunt her about having taken her ponytail.

Luna_Mayflower
2013-11-16, 03:06 PM
I just find it odd she wouldn't at least try to use in combat if she's backed against a corner, as it were. And, if she doesn't, shouldn't it be noticeable. I know it's a little odd to think about it, but it bothers me. I'm just trying to work it out.

Wardog
2013-11-16, 03:07 PM
I feel like you are dramatically overestimating the combat utility of a small shaving razor.

Well, unless you're Duv, that is...
http://www.goblinscomic.org/11182006/

Bulldog Psion
Maybe she uses a piece of string.

Yuki Akuma
I just find it odd she wouldn't at least try to use in combat if she's backed against a corner, as it were. And, if she doesn't, shouldn't it be noticeable. I know it's a little odd to think about it, but it bothers me. I'm just trying to work it out.

It's not noticeable that she wears long pants. How do you expect to notice her leg hairs?

Luna_Mayflower
2013-11-16, 03:10 PM
What about her underarms, then? All I'm saying is I find it odd. Sure, a razor would probably do 1d3 max, but drop a bunch of d6s on there from sneak attacks, and that's a lot of power. Ok, suspension of disbelief and all that, but I can't be the only one wondering if she shaves and where her razor is.

Yuki Akuma
2013-11-16, 03:12 PM
but I can't be the only one wondering if she shaves and where her razor is.

I really think you are.

DaggerPen
2013-11-16, 03:16 PM
Clearly, she just borrows Roy's, and when he was dead she didn't take it off of his body, so she didn't have it in combat during the Thieves' Guild fight because Roy's body was gone.

Luna_Mayflower
2013-11-16, 03:18 PM
I can't be the only one. I can only think of two reasons why we haven't see any hair or a razor: 1. Rich skipped over it, which kinda damages my engagement in the OOTS world or 2. He plans to bring the razor up later.

DaggerPen
2013-11-16, 03:19 PM
Is this all an elaborate satire of the forum's overattention to detail? Because if it is, bravo.

Luna_Mayflower
2013-11-16, 03:22 PM
Is this all an elaborate satire of the forum's overattention to detail? Because if it is, bravo.

Only if Laurin really is out of Power Points! :smallwink:

JBiddles
2013-11-16, 04:17 PM
She has Vaarsuvius Prestidigitate it for her.

Kish
2013-11-16, 06:13 PM
When Luna_Mayflower calls something odd, one clicks on it advisedly.

Luna_Mayflower
2013-11-16, 06:32 PM

What, magically pull the hairs away? I've heard of waxing, but that's just... ouch!

When Luna_Mayflower calls something odd, one clicks on it advisedly.

Well, it was more "You might find this odd but... you know".

The question still remains: Does Haley shave? Well, I've added up all the evidence, and here are the reasons for yes and no:

Yes:
+Crystal mentions it, so we can assume it is at least somewhat common in the OOTS verse
+Haley can be quite girly sometimes, and, despite being a tomboy, I can't see her being a no-shave kinda girl
+She could, quite possibly, use an arrow.
+Now she wears something that shows her underarms, she might be embarrassed if people looked at her or made jokes.
+She could also have used someone else's razor, but there are a few problems with that, as to why we haven't seen it, why she doesn't get her own, what does she do when she and the person are separate etc.
+We never see any body hair... but then again, she is a stick figure.
+She could have got a razor now she wears a more open outfit, but not shaved back in the guild.

No:
+She is a busy girl, does she have the time?
+Even when unarmed and backed into a corner, she never tried to use the razor.
+Crystal may have been insulting Haley over her body hair.
+She is a stick figure, so we wouldn't likely see leg/underarm hair.
+Maybe she wants to show she's independent from norms and so doesn't shave to make a point, she is a Rogue after all.
+The previously mentioned problems with borrowing a razor.
+Maybe she's just too lazy to worry about something like that with the world at stake.

Please let me know if there's anything you'd like to add, or what you think, this subject is still bugging me!

Jay R
2013-11-16, 07:26 PM
Before she got Crystal's knife, how did Haley shave?

"off-panel."

Luna_Mayflower
2013-11-16, 07:42 PM
"off-panel."

But with what? And does she actually shave at all? It's a question that deserves a decent answer if you ask me.

jere7my
2013-11-16, 07:45 PM
But with what? And does she actually shave at all? It's a question that deserves a decent answer if you ask me.

This seems pretty obvious to me. Every time we've seen her, she's had hair. And she's a cisgendered woman, so she probably can't grow a beard. Unless you think she wears a wig or is secretly a man, the answer to "Does she shave?" has to be "No."

Luna_Mayflower
2013-11-16, 07:49 PM
This seems pretty obvious to me. Every time we've seen her, she's had hair. And she's a cisgendered woman, so she probably can't grow a beard. Unless you think she wears a wig or is secretly a man, the answer to "Does she shave?" has to be "No."

I don't mean head hair, of course she doesn't. I'm wondering about her body hair, like underarms.

jere7my
2013-11-16, 07:51 PM
I don't mean head hair, of course she doesn't. I'm wondering about her body hair, like underarms.

I don't follow.

Luna_Mayflower
2013-11-16, 07:58 PM
I don't follow.

You were talking about visible hair, the hair on her head. I know she doesn't shave that, I was wondering if she shaved her body hair.

jere7my
2013-11-16, 08:00 PM
You were talking about visible hair, the hair on her head. I know she doesn't shave that, I was wondering if she shaved her body hair.

That makes no sense. Most women don't even have hair under the arms. You might as well ask whether Haley shaves the soles of her feet, or her legs.

Have you ever actually seen a woman?

Luna_Mayflower
2013-11-16, 08:02 PM
That makes no sense. Most women don't even have hair under the arms. You might as well ask whether Haley shaves the soles of her feet, or her legs.

Have you ever actually seen a woman?

No silly, it's because most women shave their underarms these days. I was just wondering if Haley does.

jere7my
2013-11-16, 08:06 PM
No silly, it's because most women shave their underarms these days. I was just wondering if Haley does.

Are you talking about depilation? If you are, you should have just said depilation.

Obviously Haley doesn't shave her head or her face, so I don't know why you keep bringing it up.

NerdyKris
2013-11-16, 08:09 PM

No, it really doesn't. You're just posting nonsensical questions and gibberish in an attempt to be funny, and you're not. You're just being whacky for the sake of being whacky.

Ramien
2013-11-16, 08:11 PM
I would assume Haley shaves when she gets into a civilized area and can find a nice salon. Roy wouldn't let her use whatever he shaves his head with more than once, and while she could just keep stealing it and putting it back, that's rather boring after a while.

Luna_Mayflower
2013-11-16, 08:16 PM
Every time we've seen her, she's had hair.

I've looked at various times when she's had her underarms/legs visible, but no hair. You'll have to give me an example if you're talking about body hair.

No, it really doesn't. You're just posting nonsensical questions and gibberish in an attempt to be funny, and you're not. You're just being whacky for the sake of being whacky.

'Tis a question I'm seeking an answer to. Those who want to answer may, if you don't want to or haven't got an answer, this isn't the thread for you. See?

And a bit of forum satire never hurts.

I would assume Haley shaves when she gets into a civilized area and can find a nice salon. Roy wouldn't let her use whatever he shaves his head with more than once, and while she could just keep stealing it and putting it back, that's rather boring after a while.

Thank you, Ramien, for not only giving an interesting answer, but putting us back on track. Only thing is, if she did keep taking it, it would only be a matter of time before he found a red hair or two, then she's in trouble.

rodneyAnonymous
2013-11-16, 08:21 PM

I have deeply mixed feelings about participating in this thread at all. I would ask "Are you joking?" but that seems really unlikely.

Yes, they do. Legs, too.

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/625/who-decided-women-should-shave-their-legs-and-underarms

jere7my
2013-11-16, 08:22 PM
I have deeply mixed feelings about participating in this thread at all. I would ask "Are you joking?" but that seems really unlikely.

Yes, they do. Legs, too.

Legs have hair under their arms? Now who's being unlikely?

jere7my
2013-11-16, 08:24 PM
I've looked at various times when she's had her underarms/legs visible, but no hair. You'll have to give me an example if you're talking about body hair.

Why would she have body hair? She's a woman. She probably depilates.

Luna_Mayflower
2013-11-16, 08:24 PM
Legs have hair under their arms? Now who's being unlikely?

Oh come now, no need for insults. I just want to get back to the question.

Perhaps, but what with and when?

DaggerPen
2013-11-16, 08:25 PM

Yes, they do. Legs, too.

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/625/who-decided-women-should-shave-their-legs-and-underarms

Speaking as a cisgender woman, I can say that we do in fact naturally have hair in our armpits, and I am not entirely sure why anyone would think that we do not.

Thank you, Ramien, for not only giving an interesting answer, but putting us back on track. Only thing is, if she did keep taking it, it would only be a matter of time before he found a red hair or two, then she's in trouble.

Maxxed bluff skill (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0412.html).

... I have in fact never heard this term, and google only refers to it as removing hair. Is shaving... not depilation? Because while I'm sure there are people who wax vs. shave their armpits, I do not know any of them.

I don't even know what's happening in this thread.

Ramien
2013-11-16, 08:34 PM

And that's one more reason why she might have done it once or twice when in extremis, but normally prefers to wait for the salon at the end of the adventure. And of course, hopefully in the future she can find salons with an adequate supply of ylang-ylang!

jere7my
2013-11-16, 08:36 PM
Perhaps, but what with and when?

Precisely.

Luna_Mayflower
2013-11-16, 08:43 PM
Precisely.

That's what I'm asking, if she shaves, what with and when? Are you going to share your thoughts at all?

DaggerPen
2013-11-16, 08:45 PM
http://forums.watchuseek.com/attachments/f20/772404d1343132677-thoughts-vintage-seamaster-chronometer-cal-354-movement-silly.jpg

Not that it wasn't from the start, mind you.

jere7my
2013-11-16, 08:47 PM
http://forums.watchuseek.com/attachments/f20/772404d1343132677-thoughts-vintage-seamaster-chronometer-cal-354-movement-silly.jpg

Not that it wasn't from the start, mind you.

Achievement unlocked!

Amphiox
2013-11-16, 08:49 PM
The shaving of body hair being a norm is a culturally dependent thing. There's no reason at all to think that it is a common practice in the stickverse.

Even if it was a custom, it is doubtful that Roy uses his greatsword or Elan uses his rapier for shaving. And it is probably even unlikely that Belkar would use his daggers for such a thing (those being the things he regularly sticks into the guts of his enemies).

Since no special mention is made of razors for any of the males, why should it be any different for the female? We can simply assume that if she shaves, she has a razor for it, and that razor is not useful for combat, and is probably kept in her bag of holding.

jere7my
2013-11-16, 08:50 PM
That's what I'm asking, if she shaves, what with and when? Are you going to share your thoughts at all?

I did! You're the one who keeps talking about shaving.

Amphiox
2013-11-16, 08:50 PM
And if one really wants to push it, she can use a broadhead arrowhead for the purpose in a pinch.

Ramien
2013-11-16, 09:13 PM
The shaving of body hair being a norm is a culturally dependent thing. There's no reason at all to think that it is a common practice in the stickverse.

Even if it was a custom, it is doubtful that Roy uses his greatsword or Elan uses his rapier for shaving. And it is probably even unlikely that Belkar would use his daggers for such a thing (those being the things he regularly sticks into the guts of his enemies).

Well of course Belkar doesn't use his daggers for shaving - they're far too blunt, according to the Oracle. Elan doesn't need to shave at all since Cliffport, and Roy only started shaving his head because he wanted to beat genetics to the punch, and genetics may have hit back hard sometime afterwards.

Skorj
2013-11-16, 09:29 PM
A wizard did it.

Seriously, there have got to be cantrips and minor magical items for this sort of thing. Much like there must be magical chamberpots that everyone is too polite to mention, and aren't statted because no one wants to see that abused. Unless you're playing FATAL, in which case it's cursed.

137beth
2013-11-16, 10:02 PM
Okay, rematch between Haley and Crystal!

+Crystal gets to use Roy's razor blade
+Haley gets to use crystal's knife glued to her boots of speed
+Crystal must sing Sondheim's Sweeney Todd for the entirety of the duel
+Haley can only taunt in Haikus
+Both combatants get the aid of one Luna thread of their choice
+Durkon is actually Belkar in disguise, and Haley finds out on the 3rd round of combat
+Bozzok has fiction-multiple-personality-disorder and alternates sides every round
+Varsuvius animates Belkar's hairbrush, and the animated hairbrush joins the fight

Who wins?

Filcher
2013-11-16, 10:04 PM
Pick a reason or think of your own:

1)
It has not been established that shaving body hair is common among the woman of the OoTs Verse, or even that it is an established practice with the populace. It is possible the suggestion that she shaves was intended as an insult. Consider that when lice and fleas became a problem the shaving of hair was probably one of the ways they were gotten rid of in the past.

2)
Perhaps the shaving of body hair is not an established practice, as the norm of having shaven legs and pits is historically relatively recent. Removal of body hair, even today, remains dependent on culture, environment, and social pressures. Not all cultures follow this practice. We shave because advertising has made it an established part of our society and sexualized the smooth legs and armpits, but we cannot say that all societies viewed the shaven legs and pits as sexually exciting.

3)
We have also seen stores selling beauty products, some with magical additives, so we may have in the OoTS verse creams or elixirs that will remove the hair from legs and armpits and other areas, making shaving unnecessary. As well as the need for razors.

4)
It could be that, like today, most women do not perform, nor broadcast the news, that they shave their legs and armpits to the general population. Mr Burlew could simply be delicate with a situation that would embarrass the character.

5)
Haley is a two dimensional figure with a solid black line for a limb. It may be that black lines do not have hair on them. Heads do have an area outside the black line where hair can be shown to grow.

Kish
2013-11-16, 10:20 PM
Okay, rematch between Haley and Crystal!

+Crystal gets to use Roy's razor blade
+Haley gets to use crystal's knife glued to her boots of speed
+Crystal must sing Sondheim's Sweeney Todd for the entirety of the duel
+Haley can only taunt in Haikus
+Both combatants get the aid of one Luna thread of their choice
+Durkon is actually Belkar in disguise, and Haley finds out on the 3rd round of combat
+Bozzok has fiction-multiple-personality-disorder and alternates sides every round
+Varsuvius animates Belkar's hairbrush, and the animated hairbrush joins the fight

Who wins?
Those all look like advantages for Haley, or neutral for her at worst.

Knife and boots of speed > razor blade, even glued together.
Haley can remain silent if she can't think of a haiku; Crystal has to sing constantly.
Both combatants being able to choose a Luna thread to help them favors the one with the higher Intelligence. I'm sure I can't guess which one that is.
If Durkon or Belkar participates in the fight, it's going to be on Haley's side.
Bozzok would normally be on Crystal's side all the time.
Anything Vaarsuvius animates is going to be on Haley's side.

Bulldog Psion
2013-11-16, 10:57 PM
4)
It could be that, like today, most women do not perform, nor broadcast the news, that they shave their legs and armpits to the general population. Mr Burlew could simply be delicate with a situation that would embarrass the character.

*Applause* :smallbiggrin:

Obscure Blade
2013-11-16, 11:13 PM
Most folks didn't shave back in medieval times, and what with every OOTS character having stick limbs, we can only assume that they're all rocking that lumberjack style.As far as people shaving in the past goes it depends on the culture; people did shave in ancient Egypt for example. Lots of heat and no modern deodorants gave them something of an incentive. And since OOTS-world isn't a real-world culture the Giant can make up any grooming customs he likes. Assuming he cares.

... I have in fact never heard this term, and google only refers to it as removing hair. Is shaving... not depilation? Because while I'm sure there are people who wax vs. shave their armpits, I do not know any of them."Dipilation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depilation#Forms_of_hair_removal)" means any method of removing hair that only removes the part outside of the skin; shaving is included in that but is not the only method. Epilation is when you remove the part of the hair inside the skin as well; waxing is one method of doing so.

DaggerPen
2013-11-16, 11:23 PM
"Dipilation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depilation#Forms_of_hair_removal)" means any method of removing hair that only removes the part outside of the skin; shaving is included in that but is not the only method. Epilation is when you remove the part of the hair inside the skin as well; waxing is one method of doing so.

Aha. Thank you.

Souhiro
2013-11-17, 12:12 AM
Haley doesn't shave... per se. She lives in a land where magic exist, so this is how she does:

- She drinks a potion of Skin Protection agains fire
- She uses a wand to cast fireball at her feet
- Lastly, she uses some Amon perfume, since burned hair stinks.

That is how I think she does! That, or she, being rich and coquete, used the magic equivalent of photodepilation.

Or, most surely, she removes her body hair using a SEP-Engine (Somebody Else Problem Engine)

Amphiox
2013-11-17, 12:56 AM
As far as people shaving in the past goes it depends on the culture; people did shave in ancient Egypt for example. Lots of heat and no modern deodorants gave them something of an incentive. And since OOTS-world isn't a real-world culture the Giant can make up any grooming customs he likes. Assuming he cares.

There is a rough correlation between the custom and hot environments with lots of biting insects.

Haley grew up in Greyski City, which seems to be portrayed as a cool, frequently overcast place....

Nimrod's Son
2013-11-17, 03:50 AM
Considering Haley has an electric hairdryer (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0278.html), I don't think Medieval grooming standards really need come into it.

Ramien
2013-11-17, 03:52 AM
That's not actually an electric hairdryer, it's powered by an air elemental. That cord you see is really just the tether to keep such a valuable artifact from being stolen.

Luna_Mayflower
2013-11-17, 08:17 AM
Considering Haley has an electric hairdryer (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0278.html), I don't think Medieval grooming standards really need come into it.

Perhaps it is the exception that proves the rule?

Jay R
2013-11-17, 10:46 AM

For me, it doesn't make the list of top 137 interesting questions about Haley's private life.

Tiiba
2013-11-17, 10:56 AM

I don't think you can do that. Hair isn't dirt.

Luna_Mayflower
2013-11-17, 10:57 AM
For me, it doesn't make the list of top 137 interesting questions about Haley's private life.

Well, I think everyone wants to hear your top 10!

137beth
2013-11-17, 01:03 PM

How many of your list of top 137 interesting questions are questions that I have asked?:smalltongue:

Luna_Mayflower
2013-11-17, 05:24 PM
How many of your list of top 137 interesting questions are questions that I have asked?:smalltongue:

I'd settle for the top 10.

Here are my top 5:

5. What's her favourite sandwich?
4. What colour are her socks?
3. Is she ticklish?
2. Can she do 20 backflips in a row?
1. Does she shave her body hair?

martianmister
2013-11-17, 07:12 PM
Here are my top 5:

Dunno.

Green.

3. Is she ticklish?
Probably.

Yes. She's a rogue after all.

Yes.

Bulldog Psion
2013-11-17, 08:02 PM

Here are my top 5:

Something without extra pastrami, since Belkar would be stealing them from her constantly.

Even she doesn't know, because her legs are black lines.

3. Is she ticklish?

Probably.

Of course -- high level rogue.

Actually, Elan pulls the hairs out individually using his buck teeth. I took Craft Disturbing Mental Image last level.

Ramien
2013-11-17, 09:24 PM

Here are my top 5:

3. Is she ticklish?

5. Anything without pickles.
4. The same color as her boots.
3. Only Elan knows for sure, but signs point to yes
2. Yes, but she risks losing her top, and kids read this comic
1. I think this thread has answered that question by now.

Mammal
2013-11-17, 10:45 PM
A more interesting than "does Haley shave her pits/legs?" is "assuming she does, how did Vaarsuvius react to the discovery that human women remove their body hair and human men do not?"

Ramien
2013-11-17, 11:00 PM
A more interesting than "does Haley shave her pits/legs?" is "assuming she does, how did Vaarsuvius react to the discovery that human women remove their body hair and human men do not?"

That's not true - Roy shaved his head, Elan could have grown facial hair before Nale used the sovereign glue, and there's a good number of beardless human men around - so both males and females do remove their body hair, just from different places.

teratorn
2013-11-17, 11:16 PM
That's not true - Roy shaved his head,

Isn't Roy bald? Is there any reference on him having hair on his head?

Muenster Man
2013-11-17, 11:19 PM
Actually, Elan pulls the hairs out individually using his buck teeth. I took Craft Disturbing Mental Image last level.

:smallyuk: Someone pass the brain bleach, please!

veti
2013-11-17, 11:43 PM

Here are my top 5:

3. Is she ticklish?

Re point 3: you can only be tickled by someone you trust - that's one reason why it's never been much use as a combat technique. In Haley's case, that's a very limited circle of people.

Point 2: I take it 'in a row' implies that she can't take 10 (except on the first flip), so there's a 62% chance she'll roll at least one '1'. So - probably not.

Point 1: why, in the name of all that's good and holy, would she bother? Is she an effete aristocrat with far too much time and money on her hands, and desperate for things to spend it on? Is she worried about lice? Has anyone ever so much as mentioned body hair in the strip? Really, this question seems to assume a world I don't even want to understand.

Benthesquid
2013-11-17, 11:49 PM
Point 2: I take it 'in a row' implies that she can't take 10 (except on the first flip), so there's a 62% chance she'll roll at least one '1'. So - probably not.

A one isn't an automatic failure on a skill check, though. So the question becomes,
1) What is the DC for a backflip?
2) Does it increase for performing multiple backflips in a row?
3) What is Haley's relevant skill modifier (Tumble, presumably, possibly with a synergy bonus from Jump)?

Ramien
2013-11-17, 11:53 PM
Isn't Roy bald? Is there any reference on him having hair on his head?

In Origin of PCs, Eugene made a comment about Roy shaving his head to beat genetics to the punch. We also know he had a full head of hair (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0113.html) when he left for Fighter College, and had lost the hair completely (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0855.html) sometime during Fighter College

Ramien
2013-11-17, 11:54 PM
A one isn't an automatic failure on a skill check, though. So the question becomes,
1) What is the DC for a backflip?
2) Does it increase for performing multiple backflips in a row?
3) What is Haley's relevant skill modifier (Tumble, presumably, possibly with a synergy bonus from Jump)?

4)Is it one check per flip, or for the entire performance?

Benthesquid
2013-11-17, 11:54 PM
In Origin of PCs, Eugene made a comment about Roy shaving his head to beat genetics to the punch. We also know he had a full head of hair (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0113.html) when he left for Fighter College, and had lost the hair completely (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0855.html) sometime during Fighter College

But he was bald as a baby. The circle is complete!

Mike Havran
2013-11-18, 12:35 AM
She uses arrows. It's just -2 to her skill check for Improvised tools.

Luna_Mayflower
2013-11-18, 07:13 AM
Re point 3: you can only be tickled by someone you trust - that's one reason why it's never been much use as a combat technique. In Haley's case, that's a very limited circle of people.

Really, I thought it was just down to reaction, which is why people can't help laughing. Come to think of it, why wouldn't it be useful in combat? I guess because it's quite a silly concept. Still, Crystal should have tickled Haley then stabbed her, would have made for an funny scene. Well, you know, apart from the stabbing.

Point 1: why, in the name of all that's good and holy, would she bother? Is she an effete aristocrat with far too much time and money on her hands, and desperate for things to spend it on? Is she worried about lice? Has anyone ever so much as mentioned body hair in the strip? Really, this question seems to assume a world I don't even want to understand.

Why would she bother? I don't know, I can only guess (And yes, Crystal mentioned it at one point):

+Maybe she just likes not having hair on her body.
+Maybe, being in the desert heat all day, doesn't want to smell / she gets too hot.
+Maybe she's self-conscious about it.

She uses arrows. It's just -2 to her skill check for Improvised tools.

What happens if she fails the check?

Ron Miel
2013-11-18, 09:37 AM

Question answered in the story Invaders From The 4th Edition.

Mike Havran
2013-11-18, 10:22 AM
What happens if she fails the check?She cuts herself (that's why she had her emo phase when she was young and less skilled). But the skill is DEX-based so Haley shouldn't have problems.

Mammal
2013-11-18, 03:08 PM
That's not true - Roy shaved his head, Elan could have grown facial hair before Nale used the sovereign glue, and there's a good number of beardless human men around - so both males and females do remove their body hair, just from different places.

Yes, but assume you had no understanding of human gender roles. Women can't grow beards, men can, and most men shave. So it would seem that ALL body hair is undesirable among humans, except that only human women seem to remove their body hair. It's really arbitrary, and V seems to have trouble appreciating the need for things like gendered bathrooms. All I'm saying is that there's a potential for comedic gold, somewhere in there.

Ramien
2013-11-18, 03:14 PM
Yes, but assume you had no understanding of human gender roles. Women can't grow beards, men can, and most men shave. So it would seem that ALL body hair is undesirable among humans, except that only human women seem to remove their body hair. It's really arbitrary, and V seems to have trouble appreciating the need for things like gendered bathrooms. All I'm saying is that there's a potential for comedic gold, somewhere in there.

It's a bit of a flawed premise, though - Men shave some but not all of their body hair, and women usually don't shave their eyebrows off, so they still don't shave everything. The premise should be that SOME body hair is undesirable and the reasoning behind which is desirable and what isn't would be what's beyond V or someone like that.

Kornaki
2013-11-18, 03:23 PM
The entire premise of this thread seems to be based on the idea that

http://myzerowaste.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/disposable-razor-0808-lg-82737737.jpg

this should do 1d3 damage in combat. It will not, the neck will snap and you will do zero damage. In fact by RAW you aren't allowed to wield a weapon so small.

martianmister
2013-11-18, 03:28 PM
Really, I thought it was just down to reaction, which is why people can't help laughing. Come to think of it, why wouldn't it be useful in combat?

Because it would be risky and less efficient compared to other forms of combat.

I guess because it's quite a silly concept. Still, Crystal should have tickled Haley then stabbed her, would have made for an funny scene. Well, you know, apart from the stabbing.

Tickling is not something funny, especially for the tickled ones.

Sir_Leorik
2013-11-18, 03:43 PM

Magical depillatory cream. Celia uses it as well, as did Tsukiko. (Why do you think Belkar enjoyed Tsukiko flying around so much?) :smalltongue:

AstralFire
2013-11-18, 03:48 PM
I... what? What?

Oryutzen
2013-11-18, 05:52 PM

http://myzerowaste.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/disposable-razor-0808-lg-82737737.jpg

this should do 1d3 damage in combat. It will not, the neck will snap and you will do zero damage. In fact by RAW you aren't allowed to wield a weapon so small.

I think they mean an old-timey, Sweeney Todd-ish razor, as I'm pretty sure they don't have plastics.

rodneyAnonymous
2013-11-18, 06:32 PM
I think they mean an old-timey, Sweeney Todd-ish razor, as I'm pretty sure they don't have plastics.

That is usually called a "straight razor (http://www.google.com/images?q=straight+razor)".

Luna_Mayflower
2013-11-18, 06:33 PM
I... what? What?

Welcome to my mind, I like to put it's contents into threads. It's a good old time, you see.

Tickling is not something funny, especially for the tickled ones.

It's funny to me. And everyone's laughing.

I was talking more about straight razors or hand razors, not those. Plus, as has been said, no plastic...

Oh look, new comic is up, excuse me while I go and read it...

Oryutzen
2013-11-18, 06:34 PM
That is usually called a "straight razor (http://www.google.com/images?q=straight+razor)".

Thanks, ain't a native speaker, so sometimes I don't have the right word at hand.

jogiff
2013-11-18, 07:51 PM
I think that this comic (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0904.html) explains how Haley managed to shave without a razor.

As for whether she does or not, I'm guessing that she shaves her left leg and right armpit, but leaves the other one au naturel.

Luna_Mayflower
2013-11-18, 08:04 PM
I think that this comic (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0904.html) explains how Haley managed to shave without a razor.

As for whether she does or not, I'm guessing that she shaves her left leg and right armpit, but leaves the other one au naturel.

Ah, that's what Crystal was on about. Half and half!

skim172
2013-11-18, 08:30 PM
The answer is quite obvious.

Haley uses Nair (+5 against human hair).

She has not used it in battle because she has yet to encounter any organic hair-based enemies.

Roy thinks it's shampoo and uses it as such. At first everyone thought it was funny, but now it's gone on too long for them to be able to tell him the truth now.