PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] smite chaos

Particle_Man
2013-11-16, 03:30 PM
The Sapphire Hierarch has the smtie chaos ability and it says it stacks with smite chaos from other sources.

What other sources would there be? I don't think even inevitables get smite chaos.

The closest I could think of is if someone allowed a houserule to change smite evil to smite chaos for a class that gets smite evil normally.

Karnith
2013-11-16, 03:37 PM
Player's Guide to Faerun has the Justiciar of Tyr PrC, which has the extremely-similar Smite Anarchy ability.

The Book of Exalted Deeds has the Axiomatic Creature spell, which turns the target creature into an Axiomatic Creature (a lawful equivalent of the Celestial or Fiendish creature templates), which grants a Smite Chaos ability. Rheks, also from BoED, also have a Smite Chaos ability.

bekeleven
2013-11-16, 03:39 PM
I've always thought that a paladin should have the option to smite chaos instead of evil. It seems warped that all 4 paladins at all 4 ends of the alignment spectrum fire their smites only up and down. What happened to left and right? Demon and devil paladins should be smiting the blood war.

...I have nothing RAW to contribute.

Red Fel
2013-11-16, 03:49 PM
Incarnates gain Smite Opposition. For a LN Incarnate, that's Smite Chaos. Similarly, an LG or LE Soulborn can Smite Opposition, which would function as Smite Chaos (and also Smite Evil or Smite Good, respectively).

A Gray Guard's Justice Blade ability converts a use of Smite Evil into Smite Chaos.

The Cuthbert's Smite feat allows Smite Evil to also apply to Chaotic creatures.

If a Smite ability lacks a type (for example, the Crusader's untyped Smite) the Improved Smiting feat requires you to select one for its benefit - you can choose Chaos.

Particle_Man
2013-11-16, 03:54 PM
Improved Smite could also apply to the generic smite from the Destruction Domain, I guess.

But Incarnates don't get smite (they can detect opposition, but not smite it). Although they can get a soul meld that is a lawful weapon, at least.

I guess technically one could be a Soulborn/Cleric/Sapphire Hierarch, so that if one is smiting a chaotic opponent, one could add Soulborn and SH levels for damage purposes? Then one has to keep track of which smites one uses, in case one runs into NE opponents (if a LG character), for example, near the end of the adventuring day.

Red Fel
2013-11-16, 03:56 PM
Improved Smite could also apply to the generic smite from the Destruction Domain, I guess.

But Incarnates don't get smite (they can detect opposition, but not smite it). Although they can get a soul meld that is a lawful weapon, at least.

I guess technically one could be a Soulborn/Cleric/Sapphire Hierarch, so that if one is smiting a chaotic opponent, one could add Soulborn and SH levels for damage purposes? Then one has to keep track of which smites one uses, in case one runs into NE opponents (if a LG character), for example, near the end of the adventuring day.

Whoops, you're right. I was conflating Incarnate with Soulborn, my bad.

Jackalope
2013-11-17, 01:38 PM
For those curious, there are two Paladin variants in Dragon Mag that get Smite Chaos: The LN Enforcer from 310 and the LE Despot from 312.