PDA

View Full Version : I Hear Reading is Cool [3.5 Spells]

Temotei
2013-11-16, 08:00 PM
Comprehend Languages, Lesser
Divination
Level: Brd 0, Clr 0, Sor/Wiz 0

This spell works like comprehend languages, except that it only grants understanding of a single language, specified upon spell completion.

Lexical Gift
Divination
Components: V, S, M/DF
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: Creature touched
Duration: 10 min./level
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)

You grant the target the ability to speak and understand a single language you know.

Arcane Material Component
Two leeches, one of which you place on the target's tongue, the other in the target's ear.

Lexical Gift, Mass
Divination
Level: Brd 1, Clr 1, Sor/Wiz 1
Target: Material component; see text
Duration: 1 hour/level
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless, object)

Mass lexical gift works like lexical gift, except that it grants the ability to speak and understand the language to any creature that touches the fish material component while the spell is in effect. Contact must be constant to speak and understand the language in question.

A fish, which you hold up to the heavens while casting, and a towel, which you wrap around the fish upon spell completion.

Perusal
Divination
Components: V, S

You grant the target the ability to read at a rate of four pages (1,000 words) per minute. This does not grant the ability to read a language the target is not already able to read.

Shift and Shine
Evocation/Transmutation
Level: Brd 1, Clr 1, Sor/Wiz 1
Range: Personal; see text
Target: You; see text
Duration: 10 min./level; see text
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

You gain the ability to touch text and permanently change it to any language of your choice. You may change written languages in this manner at a rate of one page (250 words) per minute. Text altered in this manner glows brightly and sheds light as a candle. An amanuensis1 spell copies text altered in this manner as if it had never been subject to this spell.

A firefly or a piece of phosphorescent moss.

Scrawl to Speech
Transmutation
Components: V, S

You grant the touched creature the ability to speak aloud any written text it touches at a rate of one page (250 words) per minute in the language the text is written, even if the creature cannot read or speak the language. This spell does not grant any understanding of the language, however.

1. Spell Compendium.

Razanir
2013-11-16, 08:03 PM
Perhaps add a stipulation that Lesser Comprehend Languages can only bestow the ability to understand languages the caster already knows. (And with that, how would it interact with Druidic?)

EDIT: Never mind. I just looked up comprehend languages and saw it's Range: Personal. Still, a spell that temporarily imparts the ability to understand a language you speak would be cool.

Temotei
2013-11-16, 08:09 PM
Perhaps add a stipulation that Lesser Comprehend Languages can only bestow the ability to understand languages the caster already knows. (And with that, how would it interact with Druidic?)

EDIT: Never mind. I just looked up comprehend languages and saw it's Range: Personal.

Indeed.

Still, a spell that temporarily imparts the ability to understand a language you speak would be cool.

That would be cool. You want to make it or should I? :smalltongue:

Razanir
2013-11-17, 06:21 AM
That would be cool. You want to make it or should I? :smalltongue:

You can. Although can I suggest using a leech or a fish as the material component, in reference to the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy?

zabbarot
2013-11-17, 07:49 AM
Perhaps a spell that granted a small group of people the ability to speak and comprehend on language you know. Everyone has to touch the fish for the duration :smalltongue:

Mith
2013-11-17, 02:51 PM
Personally I would make it that the leech must go in the ear of the target of the spell. It could lead to some fun party interactions.

Wizard: "Look, you need to understand what they are saying. Just let me put this leech in your ear and it will work."

Rest of Party: "Ummmm..."

Also what about a spell that "reads" a written language and makes it audible? I picture a wand that you run over a text that will make the word it runs over "spoken". It could be a neat gizmo for an illiterate person.

Temotei
2013-11-22, 01:45 AM
Forgot to subscribe to this thread and missed the posts. Derp.

You can. Although can I suggest using a leech or a fish as the material component, in reference to the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy?

Ha. Done.

Perhaps a spell that granted a small group of people the ability to speak and comprehend on language you know. Everyone has to touch the fish for the duration :smalltongue:

That'd be a nice little variant.

Also what about a spell that "reads" a written language and makes it audible? I picture a wand that you run over a text that will make the word it runs over "spoken". It could be a neat gizmo for an illiterate person.

I like that. It can also be put to use with that skill trick that lets you remember speech and recite it exactly.

EDIT: And if you didn't catch that, I edited in three new spells.