PDA

View Full Version : Master of many weapons.

Doomboy911
2013-11-16, 09:42 PM
So I've been looking here and there and suddenly I was struck with inspiration for my next character. A man who does not define himself by the weapon he uses but by his skill in all weapons. No matter the situation he has the weapon for it.

Unfortunately I lack the faintest clue as to how I'd build something like this. Perhaps some fighter but I'm not sure. The main idea would be a master of any weapon, I figured the best way to utilize this would be to not have the power be in the weapons but be in my character. Power attack, vital strike, great cleave and such but this only means I have lots of attacking power but it doesn't help my damage.

So how do I go about being dangerous with every weapon I wield?

Cog
2013-11-16, 09:56 PM
This build (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88633) touches on those ideas, and may give you a start.

Anxe
2013-11-16, 10:00 PM
Tempest was the first prestige classes that came to my mind. A Tempest gets to apply all their Weapon Focus etc. feats from one weapon they wield upon the other weapon. Make the weapon be unarmed strike, a shield, or something else you're always wielding and you'll always have that bonus.

Cog
2013-11-16, 10:05 PM
Tempest was the first prestige classes that came to my mind. A Tempest gets to apply all their Weapon Focus etc. feats from one weapon they wield upon the other weapon. Make the weapon be unarmed strike, a shield, or something else you're always wielding and you'll always have that bonus.
Unfortunately, there's a very specific list of which feats you're allowed to do that with, and all of those feats suck.

Vhaidara
2013-11-16, 10:06 PM
I know that warblade can spend an hour practicing with a weapon to assign all weapon specific feats to it (Weapon Focus, Weapon Spec, Improved Crit, etc). A guy in one of my campaigns comboed that with Exotic Weapon Proficiency (anything), which also qualifies to be changed whenever he desires.

Grod_The_Giant
2013-11-16, 10:09 PM
You're absolutely right that you'll want to take feats like power attack or knowledge devotion instead of weapon-specific things like weapon focus. But the larger issue will be in getting enhancements on those weapons-- the game's math assumes that you're swinging around a king's ransom worth of sword.

For general class, I'd say a martial adept of some sort... but then, that's a pretty standard recommendation for any melee build.

Chronos
2013-11-16, 10:09 PM
Most strong fighter builds don't use any of the weapon-specific feats, and so are equally effective with any of them.

Unless you want to include exotic weapons in your "all weapons", in which case you pretty much need something that gives you across-the-board proficiency in all exotic weapons. The only thing I know of that does that is Master of Masks.

Cog
2013-11-16, 10:13 PM
Unless you want to include exotic weapons in your "all weapons", in which case you pretty much need something that gives you across-the-board proficiency in all exotic weapons. The only thing I know of that does that is Master of Masks.
As mentioned, Warblade can do that sequentially, and Binder can do it all the time with one of the online vestiges.

Alternatively, you'll always be proficient in a Morphing Skillfull weapon no matter what exotic weapon you change it into; getting those abilities on there is a little costly, but any additional abilities will carry over between morphs.