PDA

View Full Version : Shugenja and Maho-tsukai spells.

Xuldarinar
2013-11-16, 11:03 PM
An academic question about the shugenja and maho-tsukai spells.

For a shugenja to learn maho-tsukai spells, which count towards spells known totals, for each spell they must succeed on a Knowledge (Shadowlands) check. In oriental adventures it says that "Knowledge (the planes) is replaced by Knowledge (Shadowlands) in the featured campaign setting of Rokugan,".
Now, outside of Rokugan: Does this mean they must succeed on a Knowledge (the planes) check for this purpose?

ArcturusV
2013-11-17, 01:21 AM
Ideally yes. As the nature of Maho spells in general is tapping into corrupted power that comes from somewhere other than the prime material plane. At least that was as near as I could figure. So instead of the Shadowlands they're tapping in power from the Abyss (Fitting as the Shadowlands are effectively where Hell has spilled onto earth), etc.

Zombulian
2013-11-17, 01:51 AM
Ideally yes. As the nature of Maho spells in general is tapping into corrupted power that comes from somewhere other than the prime material plane. At least that was as near as I could figure. So instead of the Shadowlands they're tapping in power from the Abyss (Fitting as the Shadowlands are literally where the god of evil fell from the sky), etc.

Fixed that for you.

ArcturusV
2013-11-17, 01:59 AM
Well, fell from the sky, punched a hole in a Rat Kingdom, fell through earth to Hell, and hell spilled out of the hole. If I'm remembering correctly.

Arcane_Snowman
2013-11-17, 02:14 AM
Well, fell from the sky, punched a hole in a Rat Kingdom, fell through earth to Hell, and hell spilled out of the hole. If I'm remembering correctly. That is indeed what happened.

Zombulian
2013-11-17, 02:43 AM
And the nagas slept through all of it.

Arcane_Snowman
2013-11-17, 03:03 AM
And the nagas slept through all of it. Obviously they've never heard of alarm clocks.

BWR
2013-11-17, 03:39 AM
Actually, Knowledge (the planes) is a bad choice for this, if we use Rokugan as the setting. Maho, meaning simply 'magic' was the original blood magic the tribe of Isawa practised, and it was intrinsically tied to themselves and the world they lived in. Foreign spirits were not a factor in their magic. It was Shinsei who taught the tribe to communicate with the kami, the nature spirits of the world.
When some kami became corrupted into kansen, the problem of maho was less that the blood magic called upon spirits to do the work but more that evil spirits invariably flocked to the user, regardless of protection. If maho were calling on the kansen to do the job, the Phoenix wouldn't have nearly the Bloodspeaker/tsukai problem they do; they know that the blood magic works off blood and pain, and the kansen are along for the ride. They are just incapable of filtering the kansen out of process.
So Knowledge (arcana) would be a better choice, since this is more understanding ancient knowledge of this world, not of others.

On a side note, we houseruled that shugenja could learn maho spells in addition to their normal spells known. Maho is quick, easy and the kansen are always happy to help you learn.