PDA

View Full Version : Need help building a Psionic Healer

kevin_video
2013-11-17, 02:37 AM
We start a new campaign in two weeks, and we have no healer. I know that you don't absolutely "need" one in every campaign, but in this group you do. We hit high epic stuff by the end of the campaign. A tarrasque for us is just another day, and has yet to be the BBEG. They're just the bump in the road we hit on our way to the demigods and demon lords who await us on the other side.

That being said, I'm looking to play a synad ardent 10/sangehirn 5 to start. Not sure what I'd do beyond that. I'd go level 10 and take the ACF swap out of Dominant Ideal.

One of the Mantles to start would likely be Life.

Not looking to be the heal bot, but at the very least I want to keep the party as alive as possible during a fight.

We'll pick up what we need, and the rogue is taking a single level of cleric for flavor purposes alone, and to be able to use wands.

We're going to be pretty starved for a while. Apparently everyone decided to go melee warrior based this cycle. Got rogue, troll/paladin, monk, dragon (Dragon Magazine savage progression), and fighter. Myself and two others haven't fully decided what we're taking, but one's thinking about incarnate and the other will likely be out of town too much to participate.

Help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. That being said, I'd like to try and steer away from the erudite and psion. We had those this and last cycle, and they were played with superior precision from expert players. That, and I'd rather not play something someone else played so close together.

TuggyNE
2013-11-17, 03:25 AM
What system, 3.5 or PF?

kevin_video
2013-11-17, 09:14 AM
What system, 3.5 or PF?
3.5 as PF has no ardent or sangehirn class.

Only standard 3.5 WotC books are allowed, but some Dragon and Dungeon magazine issues are allowed as well.

Feint's End
2013-11-17, 09:27 AM
Beg your Dm to allow the Vitalist Class from PF since they are the only viable (and interesting to play!) psionic healer class.

Ardent Sangehirn is gonna be terribly boring. Much rather take the Psion entry for more versatility.

Generally though .... As soon as you hit epic healers are getting worse and worse (from an already bad position in group importance). Reason is, that the damage of enemies and other stuff just gets so high, that healing isn't a viable option anymore (not even when heal and similar stuff is on the table).

So conclussion? Don't do it ... if you absolutely must use the Vitalist since it's an awesome class which can do other stuff do and swich powers on a day to day basis (+ expanded knowledge for some versatility). If your Dm says no to it just go with a CC Psion (probably focus on damage migitation and such) and you will be a much bigger contribution to your party.

Psyren
2013-11-17, 09:30 AM
3.5 as PF has no ardent or sangehirn class.

It has way better than that. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/classes/vitalist)

If you're stuck with 3.5 though, Egoist 5/Sangehirn 3/Egoist X can be a substitute of sorts. You can also use the Vitalist's 3.5 predecessor, the Worldthought Medic. (http://dsp-d20-srd.wikidot.com/worldthought-medic)

Feint's End
2013-11-17, 09:45 AM
It has way better than that. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/classes/vitalist)

If you're stuck with 3.5 though, Egoist 5/Sangehirn 3/Egoist X can be a substitute of sorts. You can also use the Vitalist's 3.5 predecessor, the Worldthought Medic. (http://dsp-d20-srd.wikidot.com/worldthought-medic)

Isn't worldthought medic homebrew?

Btw thanks for providing the link I forgot to add.

Psyren
2013-11-17, 09:48 AM
Isn't worldthought medic homebrew?

Btw thanks for providing the link I forgot to add.

DSP made them both. The Worldthought Medic is exactly what I said it is - the 3.5 precursor to the Vitalist.

kevin_video
2013-11-17, 09:52 AM
Sorry guys, mentioned in the entry 3.5 WotC books only. No 3rd party whatsoever. DM will not allow them at all. I've tried Dreamscarred classes before and they only made him laugh while saying how broken they were. So no Vitalist and no Worldthough Medic. He's brought up before that there's lots of WotC classes already, we don't need to go out looking for more.

I know about Egoist being a decent starting class for a Sangehirn build, but truthfully we had a psion last cycle, and he absolutely destroyed everything with his monumental build. He and the wizard, who've both played those classes to death because they're best with those, have made it a little difficult to want to play them with any kind of expectation. No one wants to play those as we'd just be in their shadows.

As for healers essentially not being that great, I disagree. Our spontaneous cleric this cycle was practically mandatory. He had heals and quickened heals going off the majority of the final battle, just to keep us going. Heck, he and the wizard both had to use Miracle and Wish to keep us going against the BBEG.

Psyren
2013-11-17, 10:07 AM
If you must be an Ardent, at least try and get Mantle Substitution approved alongside Dominant Ideal. Your power selection is going to suck otherwise.

There is absolutely no reason for more than 3 levels of Sangehirn. Personally I would do Ardent 6/Sangehirn 3/Ardent +4 (for DI)/Anarchic Initiate 7.

kevin_video
2013-11-17, 10:16 AM
If you must be an Ardent, at least try and get Mantle Substitution approved alongside Dominant Ideal. Your power selection is going to suck otherwise.

There is absolutely no reason for more than 3 levels of Sangehirn. Personally I would do Ardent 6/Sangehirn 3/Ardent +4 (for DI)/Anarchic Initiate 7.
The substitutions definitely won't be a problem. I intended to take both that you had mentioned. Don't know that PrC though. Have to look at that one. I was thinking of taking more levels of Sangehirn just for the fast healing.

My main issue was what Mantles to take. I've look at the handbook, and seen what's best, but there's so many of them. Life is obvious, but Guardian looks good too.

Maginomicon
2013-11-17, 01:22 PM
Healing Salve

Rubbing this stinky green paste into wounds promotes rapid healing. Applying the salve is a full-round action. One dose cures 1d8 points of damage to a living creature. Only one dose may be applied per round, and there is no limit on how many salves can be applied over time.

The Alchemy DC to make one application of healing salve is 25. If you have 5 or more ranks in Profession (herbalist), you get a +2 synergy bonus on checks to craft it.

Cost: 50 gp

Psionic Minor Creation anyone? Sure a healing salve isn't as powerful as a potion of cure light wounds, but since it fairly-clearly is made of vegetable matter, PROMOTES rapid healing (meaning it enhances the body's own healing capabilities instead of doing the healing itself), and cures damage instead of giving temporary HP, it's a very viable way for a psionic character to be the party healer (although it takes 1 minute to manifest, the resulting salves would only exist for 1 hour/level, and applying a salve is a full-round action instead of the standard action for quaffing a potion).

A shaper can use psionic minor creation to create a wooden tub and fill it with healing salve.