PDA

View Full Version : Feats questions

The Kind Knido
2013-11-17, 05:11 AM
We're playing a campaign and while searching for a feat for 4th level, I noticed that the SRD says -

"These bonus feats are in addition to the feat that a character of any class gets from advancing levels. A fighter is not limited to the list of fighter bonus feats when choosing these feats.".

Does this mean that the whole time we have been missing out on feats that we could have been getting this whole time?

Here's my character (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=667212) for reference.

Here is also a quote from the other player who is also the DM (the other player dropped out temporarily since we're playing a lot) -

""If you're a barbarian, is there any way to get fighter feats as some sort of bonus feat? I don't see anything listed, but some wording that my friend found seems to say there might be a way to get different feats if you meet the pre-requisites."

ArcturusV
2013-11-17, 05:18 AM
Near as I can figure you're missing one feat.

Here's what you should have:

Feat for being character level 1. Feat for being Human. Feat for Level 1 Fighter. Feat for Level 2 Fighter. Feat for character level 3. Feat for Level 4 fighter.

So you should have 6, but you only have 5. I don't know if it's that you missed out on Character Level 1, or Character Level 3 however.

Side note, that is why when I make my character sheets I list my feats like this:

Human Bonus: Improved Initiative
Fighter 1: Power Attack

etc.

This matters in case you ever use Retraining Rules, as you can only replace a feat with a feat that you could have had at the time. So for example you can't replace your Human Bonus Improved Initiative with Weapon Supremacy.

The Kind Knido
2013-11-17, 05:35 AM
Definitely useful information, thank you.

Time to smash more puny goblinoids since our adventures aren't being too nice to us.

Yuki Akuma
2013-11-17, 06:30 AM
Anyone can take fighter feats.

Basically, everyone gets a feat at level 1 and then every level divisible by 3 (3, 6, 9, etc). This can be any feat they qualify for - the different feat types don't matter in this case.

Some classes get specific bonus feats at specific levels. For instance, Wizards get Scribe Scroll for free at level 1 (in addition to their normal 1st level feat), Monks can choose between either Stunning Fist or Improved Grapple at level 1, and so on. These feats have to be the ones listed in the class description (although there are some alternate class features to swap them out for other specific feats).

Some classes, like Fighters, Psions and Psychic Warriors, get much more open bonus feats, that can be anything from a specific list. At every level divisible by 2, a Fighter can select one feat with the [Fighter] tag. He could take these feats at any time he gets a normal feat, but if he's selecting his bonus feat, he can only pick from those.

As for Barbarians getting bonus feats... there might be some alternate class features out there for that. Alternatively, you could take flaws (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/characterFlaws.htm), which each give you a penalty in return for a free bonus feat (that can be spent on anything, like a normal feat from leveling up).