PDA

View Full Version : Snirfnebli 0 LA

Lvl45DM!
2013-11-17, 05:20 AM
I wanna play a Deep gnome just for the fluff mostly but don't want a +3 LA
The original deep gnome.
+2 Dexterity, +2 Wisdom, –2 Strength, –4 Charisma.
Humanoid (Gnome) Small size
Stonecunning
Darkvision out to 120 feet.
Low-Light Vision
Spell resistance equal to 11 + class levels.
Weapon Familiarity: Svirfneblin may treat gnome hooked hammers as martial weapons rather than exotic weapons.
Nondetection (Su): A svirfneblin has a continuous nondetection ability as the spell (caster level equal to class levels).
+2 racial bonus on all saving throws.
Add +1 to the Difficulty Class for all saving throws against illusion spells cast by svirfneblin. This adjustment stacks with those from similar effects.
+1 racial bonus on attack rolls against kobolds and goblinoids.
+4 dodge bonus to Armor Class against all creatures.
+2 racial bonus on Listen checks.
+2 racial bonus on Craft (alchemy) checks.
+2 racial bonus on Hide checks, which improves to +4 underground.
Automatic Languages: Undercommon, Gnome, Common. Bonus Languages: Dwarven, Elven, Giant, Goblin, Orc, Terran.
Spell-Like Abilities: 1/day—blindness/deafness, blur, disguise self. Caster level equals the svirfneblin’s class levels. The save DC is Charisma-based and include a +4 racial modifier.
Favored Class: Rogue. A multiclass svirfneblin’s rogue class does not count when determining whether he takes an experience point penalty.
Level Adjustment: +3

Obviously there are some things in there that are ridiculous. But if I remove the Bolded items and add in Light Sensitivity would that be worth an LA +0?

Gandariel
2013-11-17, 05:26 AM
Yeah, that should be balanced. I mean, +3 for that race is stupidly high anyways.

If your DM complains, remove Nondetection too

JeminiZero
2013-11-17, 05:34 AM
There are actually rules for various 0 LA versions (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040213a) of races, including the Deep Gnome.

Lvl45DM!
2013-11-17, 05:35 AM
Yeah, that should be balanced. I mean, +3 for that race is stupidly high anyways.

If your DM complains, remove Nondetection too

But I like the Non-detection! Maybe Light Blindness instead if he complains. I'm gonna get around that anyway

Lvl45DM!
2013-11-17, 05:38 AM
There are actually rules for various 0 LA versions (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040213a) of races, including the Deep Gnome.

Ooo. Cheers. Does take alot of the fun out of it but its a fallback if I can't convince the DM. Honestly Deep Gnomes should be as bad in light as Drow don't know why they aren't ever given Light Sensitivity

ericgrau
2013-11-17, 05:48 AM
Normally I would:
1. Play a gnome.
2. Call yourself an underground gnome
3. Call it a day.

But reworking the deep gnome works fine too. Let's see dex and wis have minor synergy at best. Everything else seems fine though early on the nondetection and +4 disguise self save are slightly strong. OTOH most people pay little attention to these whereas light sensitivity will bite you every time you make an attack roll outside. So sure, keep it the way you have it.

Oh... you mean drow light sensitivity I thought you meant orc light sensitivity. Even worse then, though not common enough to make a huge difference between the two unless your DM is a jerk about it.

Psyren
2013-11-17, 09:47 AM
The Pathfinder version (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races/uncommon-races/arg-svirfneblin) has no LA as well. The AC bonus was lowered to +2 and their nondetection became an SLA instead of Su, but the rest of it is still there including the SR and saving throw bonuses.

Blackjackg
2013-11-17, 11:03 AM
There's also the Lesser Deep Gnome from Player's Guide to Faerun. It's mostly a reflavored rock gnome, but it's a pretty reasonable alternative.