PDA

View Full Version : Spell to Power

Solace of Tides
2013-11-17, 09:08 AM
I'm trying to find this in my books, but I've had no luck. What book does this appear in?

Yuki Akuma
2013-11-17, 09:09 AM
It's a suggested variant of the Erudite found on the WotC website (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070629a).

It's not a very well-thought-out variant.

Maginomicon
2013-11-17, 10:09 AM
The StP erudite is largely considered upper Tier 1. However, I would recommend that your GM read the following, which is a house rule I wrote up to partially try to "clarify/fix" the erudite to what was implied in the Epic Erudite description. The crux of it is that "unique powers per day" or "unique powers per level today" as-written is ambiguous because there are a lot of edge cases where you're not sure whether it counts as "unique" or not.

The erudite was updated in errata to where instead of having a limit on unique powers per level per day, it was changed to unique powers per day period, which all but cripples the erudite class. For that reason and others, certain very specific things should not count against that unique powers per day limit.

Realize that according to RAW for all of psionics, all of the power points spent on a power (both for the initial manifesting cost and the augmentation cost) has to all come from the same source. The new general rule for unique powers per day is this:

If and only if the erudite uses his own personal power points in the initial manifesting cost of manifesting a power and that power is only accessible from his erudite power list does it count against his unique powers per day limit.
This parallels the single-source rule mentioned above and how spell slots between different spellcasting classes don’t overlap (the unique powers per day limitation is similar in basic concept to spell slots).

The following are descriptions of a few things this general rule excludes:

Effects which don’t in-fact draw from his erudite abilities don’t count towards an erudite’s unique powers per day limit. This also includes powers accessed through the “Manifest an Unknown Power from Another’s Powers Known” rules.

Powers that are manifested from a separate power point pool (such as a cognizance crystal) and powers which don’t draw from a power point pool at all (such as spell-to-power cantrips) don’t count towards an erudite’s unique powers per day limit.

An erudite that takes levels in the Metamind prestige class does not apply new powers used with the “Free Manifesting” ability as counting towards an erudite’s unique powers per day limit (just like it wouldn’t be the case if he also had levels in Wilder and the power known was from that list), as their initial manifesting cost is “free”. Likewise, powers accessed during a “Font of Power” don’t count towards an erudite’s unique powers per day limit (since the power points from Font of Power come from an infinite but separate supply of power points).

Ruethgar
2013-11-17, 10:37 AM
There were some ways around uppd, but it is strong even without doing that. Mental Pinnacle is your best friend, several powers rolled into one plus infinite power points. Arcane Disciple on a Chaneleon 2 gets you all non-domain spells as powers with the Customize Domain feat as your floating. Or just chameleon with chaos shuffle to get the spell level you want and then Extra Spell. Or skip the shuffle and go with the power equivilent.