PDA

View Full Version : Creating a characters based on Rurouni Kenshin

oaken
2013-11-17, 12:03 PM
A friend of mine wants to run a quick adventure and I started thinking about creating a samurai-like character based on Rurouni Kenshin (Samurai X).

I searched for this online and actually found a few ideas, but nothing really specific to 4e.

I was thinking about which class would be the most appropriate to refluff, and given that Kenshin is usually frail but very hit effective, I thought a striker class would be the most appropriate.
Ranger and Barbarian were the first ones to come to mind, but being strength based didn't seem to make much sense as Kenshin is definitely not a physically strong character.
So I narrowed it down to Avenger and Rogue. I think Avenger would require more work on the "refluffling" part, but the mechanics might be more appropriate, especially since Rogue has a lot of restrictions to using light-blade.

Which brings it up to another point: equipment.
Since Kenshin uses a sword with a blunt edge, he's basically smashing at his opponents instead of slicing at them. I thought maybe refluffing a mace would do it.
But I can't figure out what to do about the AC... Kenshin does not wear armor, but being a melee striker without armor would be suicide. Do you think I could refluff a leather armor as a gi/hakama (since there's no practical difference between them besides cost)?

What are your thoughts?
Also, what skills and feats would you suggest for such character?

Thanks!

Ashdate
2013-11-17, 01:07 PM
A friend of mine wants to run a quick adventure and I started thinking about creating a samurai-like character based on Rurouni Kenshin (Samurai X).

I searched for this online and actually found a few ideas, but nothing really specific to 4e.

I was thinking about which class would be the most appropriate to refluff, and given that Kenshin is usually frail but very hit effective, I thought a striker class would be the most appropriate.
Ranger and Barbarian were the first ones to come to mind, but being strength based didn't seem to make much sense as Kenshin is definitely not a physically strong character.
So I narrowed it down to Avenger and Rogue. I think Avenger would require more work on the "refluffling" part, but the mechanics might be more appropriate, especially since Rogue has a lot of restrictions to using light-blade.

Which brings it up to another point: equipment.
Since Kenshin uses a sword with a blunt edge, he's basically smashing at his opponents instead of slicing at them. I thought maybe refluffing a mace would do it.
But I can't figure out what to do about the AC... Kenshin does not wear armor, but being a melee striker without armor would be suicide. Do you think I could refluff a leather armor as a gi/hakama (since there's no practical difference between them besides cost)?

What are your thoughts?
Also, what skills and feats would you suggest for such character?

Thanks!

Well, there's the Samurai Theme which is pretty appropriate; I wouldn't worry about refluffing maces or anything, it's built into the rules that characters can reduce enemies to 0 hit points instead of killing them simply by declaring it so.

For a class, I think an Essentials Arid Desert Berserker (Barbarian) refluffs well. They gain an AC bonus for wearing cloth armor, and can use the big swords. Sop just pump Strength and Dexterity (remember that Kenshin is pretty strong, even if he doesn't look like it). Also, in its "defender mode" you have peaceful Kenshin. In its "striker mode", you have Battousai the Manslayer.

For skills, and feats, you're pretty much looking at pretty standard ones. Maybe move Improved Initiative up a notch.

oaken
2013-11-17, 06:51 PM
Interesting, that's a very good idea!

I admit I still find a bit weird that strength would be the highest attribute for that character, but the "defender mode" x "striker mode" feature matches just too well with Kenshin's story. That could also be refluffed as flipping the katana's edge and start slicing when in "striker mode".

I think refluffing a bastard sword as a katana should suffice then.

Tvtyrant
2013-11-17, 07:05 PM
I would stat it as a whirling barbarian personally. Low armor, burst of sword damage, specialized in fighting groups.

oaken
2013-11-17, 07:19 PM
I would stat it as a whirling barbarian personally. Low armor, burst of sword damage, specialized in fighting groups.

But Kenshin does not use two weapons (even though samurai usually carry a katana and a wakizashi). Could it just be refluffed as the same weapon dealing different damage for each attack that usually composes a whirling attack?

Tvtyrant
2013-11-17, 07:29 PM
But Kenshin does not use two weapons (even though samurai usually carry a katana and a wakizashi). Could it just be refluffed as the same weapon dealing different damage for each attack that usually composes a whirling attack?

It could be the sheathe as well, as he uses that as a weapon/shield quite frequently. Whereas Aoshi is clearly a TWF Ranger.

oaken
2013-11-17, 07:58 PM
It could be the sheathe as well, as he uses that as a weapon/shield quite frequently. Whereas Aoshi is clearly a TWF Ranger.

Oh right! He does use the sheathe!
So that would be what? Bastard sword + club refluffed as katana + sheathe?

But a whirling barbarian wouldn't give you much more than whirling lunge and a feel boosts in some moves, would it?
I mean, it's probably still worth it to go with the Berserker, and then maybe get some of whirling powers.

Edit: good point on Aoshi, makes a lot of sense :)

Rhaegar14
2013-11-17, 08:10 PM
I'm pretty sure Iron Soul Monk with the Soaring Blade Paragon Path is how I would do this one. Dex-based, AoE, melee striker who uses a heavy blade in combat, wears no armor, and has lots of interesting movement options. Doesn't really work without a weapon proficiency feat pre-Paragon, though.

oaken
2013-11-18, 12:03 AM
I'm pretty sure Iron Soul Monk with the Soaring Blade Paragon Path is how I would do this one. Dex-based, AoE, melee striker who uses a heavy blade in combat, wears no armor, and has lots of interesting movement options. Doesn't really work without a weapon proficiency feat pre-Paragon, though.

Would it be too cheesy to refluff the sakabatou as a mace or a club?
In fact, I don't even understand what difference that would make since probably all your attacks would be implement attacks through your weapon. Mechanically speaking, why would the type of weapon you're wielding matter?

DHKase
2013-11-18, 01:26 AM
In fact, I don't even understand what difference that would make since probably all your attacks would be implement attacks through your weapon. Mechanically speaking, why would the type of weapon you're wielding matter?

Unless your DM is especially stringent, fluff is what you want it to be, and saying that your bastard sword doesn't cut, or your mace/club is actually a reverse bladed katana is perfectly okay so long as it's mechanics remain the same.

Rhaegar14
2013-11-18, 02:31 AM

Iron Soul Monk Powers gain a benefit based on the weapon used with the attack, and Soaring Blade Paragon Path gives you extra fire, cold, or lightning damage when you use a heavy blade.

Kevka Palazzo
2013-11-18, 07:36 AM
I don't have anything constructive to add, I just wanted to say that this thread made me really happy. Every now and then I forget that 4E really is capable of handling a lot of different character types, and seeing this served as a happy reminder.

Also we've got a greatsword-wielding berserker with the Arid Desert background in my Eberron game. Mechanically speaking I think it's less interesting than the core barbarian, but it works really well for the concept. Just my 2 cp.

oaken
2013-11-18, 08:06 AM
Unless your DM is especially stringent, fluff is what you want it to be, and saying that your bastard sword doesn't cut, or your mace/club is actually a reverse bladed katana is perfectly okay so long as it's mechanics remain the same.

Iron Soul Monk Powers gain a benefit based on the weapon used with the attack, and Soaring Blade Paragon Path gives you extra fire, cold, or lightning damage when you use a heavy blade.

Cool, the Iron Soul Monk could work before paragon as long as we do the refluffing then, though it might not be as effective.

I have to say though, I can't decide which option I'd go with.

I have a feeling the Iron Soul Monk would be better for RP - I just imagine somebody saying, in case I go with the berserker route, "Hey, your character is pretty strong, grab that monster and hold him down!" - and well, Kenshin is not strong that way.

There might be another player that has already decided to play a Monk, which would force me to go with the Berserker, but otherwise I am pretty much on the fence.

I don't have anything constructive to add, I just wanted to say that this thread made me really happy. Every now and then I forget that 4E really is capable of handling a lot of different character types, and seeing this served as a happy reminder.

Also we've got a greatsword-wielding berserker with the Arid Desert background in my Eberron game. Mechanically speaking I think it's less interesting than the core barbarian, but it works really well for the concept. Just my 2 cp.

Yeah, that's really cool indeed!

Thanks for the feedback about the Arid Desert player in your party, I never played either Barbarians or Monks, so any input is helpful!

windgate
2013-11-18, 11:37 AM
so a couple things stand out for me in terms of Kenshin's fighting style.

strengths
1) Speed (although this is really #1 - #10 :p )
2) Accuracy (how often has anyone ever blocked him?)
3) Mobility (leads back to speed)

weakness:
1) frailty. In comparison to the other characters in the series, Kenshin how low constitution and strength (Senoske as a comparison).
2) not really a team player. While other characters in the series make alliances and fight as teams. Kenshin has generally been a lone wolf with friends whom he protects. Senoske made a big deal about this when he was learning the "make things explode with his knuckles" technique.
3) Kenshin avoids killing. as a result one can assume his damage is not actually that high.

As a result we are looking for a character with high accuracy, land speed, initiative and a preference for fighting isolated targets. He also has cloth armor, a one handed weapon, with potentially low hit points and strength.

All in all this looks like an elf pursuit avenger with a long sword to me. (the fullblade would be Senoske's weapon and the rapier for the assassin/cop characters). Take the racial option to roll perception for initiative. You end up having the first turn of combat, rushing across the entire map, and an almost guaranteed hit against an isolated target.

Multiclass with the battle awareness feat to punish the enemy for ever trying to avoid you.

Edit: BTW avengers and sword mages are interesting in that they have extremely high AC while only wearing cloth armor (an avenger can have AC higher than a typical fighter). Unarmored agility + "+2 AC when charging" class feat.

Gavran
2013-11-18, 12:00 PM
Isolating Avenger is an excellent fit for a samurai mechanically, albeit with rampant re-fluffing and a few semi-inexplicable special effects. I'm not familiar with the character you're referencing, but reading the thread the Berserker sounds like a better fit... but if you're worried about it being fun to play and more effective than an Essentials class, I definitely think Avenger is a good choice.

Not using a Fullblade (or other 2h Superior Weapon) will hurt you a fair bit though, unless it's critical to your concept that you have a shield or something, I'd run Fullblade and re-fluff away.

Ashdate
2013-11-18, 01:37 PM
weakness:
1) frailty. In comparison to the other characters in the series, Kenshin how low constitution and strength (Senoske as a comparison).

I think it's perhaps more accurate to suggest that Kenshin has ridiculous strength (particularly given his build), but other characters have more. It's a Superman problem; Wonder Woman might have super strength, but Superman has really super strength.

Sucrose
2013-11-18, 02:33 PM
Having statted up a somewhat similar character (Gestalt Rogue//Warblade, who fought with a katana) in a transfer over from 3.5 recently, I would personally recommend a Rogue with the Versatile Duelist feat, and Superior Weapon Proficiency (Bastard Sword).

If you're okay with a non-Human race, Githzerai has some very samurai-fitting racial abilities, and also can make the switch over to Heavy Blades not quite as painful, since they have a racial feat that combines Bastard Sword proficiency with a boosted version of Weapon Focus. Cunning Stalker would always mean that in a one-on-one fight, Kenshin has the edge, which is fitting against most foes. It would also represent his ability to read a single foe, and exploit the weaknesses in their fighting style.

My character was more a warrior than an assassin-sort, unlike Kenshin, so he went with Brutal Scoundrel, but Artful Dodger would represent Kenshin's ability to move where he wishes without his opponent being able to react, and Rogue just generally fits the godlike mobility of Hiten Mitsurugi Style quite well.

Being focused on Dex and Cha would also mean that he wouldn't be particularly tough, in keeping with his relative frailty in-show.

As for the Reverse-Blade Sword, since 4E no longer distinguishes between different types of physical damage, I'd say that you should just ask your DM if it would be okay for his damage to be 'nonlethal;' if he wants mechanics, then perhaps the sword could cost a bit more, and have two modes, one that sacrifices one point of damage, but won't kill, while the other does full damage, but will end a life.

Gavran
2013-11-18, 03:02 PM
As for the Reverse-Blade Sword, since 4E no longer distinguishes between different types of physical damage, I'd say that you should just ask your DM if it would be okay for his damage to be 'nonlethal;' if he wants mechanics, then perhaps the sword could cost a bit more, and have two modes, one that sacrifices one point of damage, but won't kill, while the other does full damage, but will end a life.
When you say "no longer" are you referring to errata? I don't mean to be rude but as you mention recently converting from 3.5 it seems less likely to me that you're aware of errata that I'm not aware of than me being aware of a rule you aren't aware of.

My point being, that 4E does distinguish between lethal and non-lethal damage; the distinction is declared by the player when the player reduces a creature to 0 hp.

Sucrose
2013-11-18, 03:12 PM
When you say "no longer" are you referring to errata? I don't mean to be rude but as you mention recently converting from 3.5 it seems less likely to me that you're aware of errata that I'm not aware of than me being aware of a rule you aren't aware of.

My point being, that 4E does distinguish between lethal and non-lethal damage; the distinction is declared by the player when the player reduces a creature to 0 hp.

I was not referring to lethal vs. nonlethal at all, actually, but the damage caused by different sorts of weapons. He pointed out that Kenshin is bludgeoning people with the Reverse-Blade Sword, but bludgeoning damage, piercing damage, and slashing damage are all bundled up in the same 'physical' category in 4E, unlike in previous editions (hence the 'no longer').

Incidentally, if you do not mean to be rude, then please just choose your wording carefully, rather than putting in a qualifier. In my experience, it tends to just make the rest of your post look worse. I wouldn't have thought to be potentially offended by your question, had you not put that there.

Edit2: Also, 4E does not distinguish between lethal and nonlethal damage; if it did, then it would be possible, as in 3E, to knock the wind out of someone, so that your ally's attack, made with lethal intent, puts them out of the fight, but they manage to survive.

Instead, in 4E, the killing intent or lack thereof of the final attacker is all that matters. It probably is actually a more believable depiction of that particular aspect of combat, but I would argue that you are incorrect, for all attacks save the last.

Edit3: Also, I will grant that the ease of putting down foes without killing them in 4E does make the whole exercise of the Reverse Blade Sword rather pointless, but it's a noted aspect of Kenshin's character that he's handicapping himself with a blunt sword, so that he could fight if utterly necessary without killing, so I proposed a minor mechanical tweak to represent it.

Gavran
2013-11-18, 03:33 PM
Admittedly my wording was odd - I actually thought the "intent" was declared at all attacks, posted, decided to double check and edited in that it was the final attack. Which semi-invalidates my words, but doesn't really alter my point - which was just to share the knowledge that non-lethal combat is (or was) definitely a thing in 4E.

You are of course right about bludgeoning/piercing/etc. As a native 4E player that is not where my mind went reading your post. Particularly when you mentioned homebrewing non-lethal damage. :p

As for the tone of my post, I just wanted to make clear that I wasn't attacking your knowledge or experience. Some people can be defensive about that kind of thing, particularly when multiple "competing" editions are tangentially related. Perhaps, though, I should've merely asked if you were referring to errata and left it at that, ready to describe the non-lethal rules (well, rule, really) if you answered negatively but I wanted to leave a complete answer rather than risk missing the chance to reply on account of the fact that I'm very sleepy and will be in bed soon.

Sucrose
2013-11-18, 03:43 PM
Admittedly my wording was odd - I actually thought the "intent" was declared at all attacks, posted, decided to double check and edited in that it was the final attack. Which semi-invalidates my words, but doesn't really alter my point - which was just to share the knowledge that non-lethal combat is (or was) definitely a thing in 4E.

You are of course right about bludgeoning/piercing/etc. As a native 4E player that is not where my mind went reading your post. Particularly when you mentioned homebrewing non-lethal damage. :p

As for the tone of my post, I just wanted to make clear that I wasn't attacking your knowledge or experience. Some people can be defensive about that kind of thing, particularly when multiple "competing" editions are tangentially related. Perhaps, though, I should've merely asked if you were referring to errata and left it at that, ready to describe the non-lethal rules (well, rule, really) if you answered negatively but I wanted to leave a complete answer rather than risk missing the chance to reply on account of the fact that I'm very sleepy and will be in bed soon.

Fair enough; I do apologize if my tone was a little bit combative on that particular point.

And yeah, I clearly should have chosen my words better as well. Glad that we were able to come to an understanding, and have a good night.

Ashdate
2013-11-18, 04:43 PM
To be clear (because there appears to be some confusion), you don't need any special rules to make any attack non-lethal:

When an adventurer reduces a monster or a DM-controlled character to 0 hit points, he or she can choose to knock the creature unconscious rather than kill it. Until it regains hit points, the creature is unconscious but not dying. Any healing makes the creature conscious.

If the creature doesn’t receive any healing, after a short rest it is restored to 1 hit point and becomes conscious.

(PHB 295, RC 261)

Silma
2013-11-18, 05:16 PM
You can just play a slayer and be done with it. The Stances aren't very bad for Kenshin, I mean I've seen him using a couple of stances in the manga, battoujutsu being one of them. Also if u want to skip STR, you can take the Melee Training (DEX) feat which will allow you to use DEX when making basic attacks at the cost of using only 1/2 of your DEX modifier to the damage roll, which sounds really nice considering he uses a reverse-blade sword. Also the slayer adds someone's DEX to the damage rolls (as the main striker feature), which seems really fitting for Kenshin. As a downside, all your attacks are considered to be non-lethal.

The only thing I'm not sure you will like is the fact that the slayer (like all esencials classes) doesnt have daily powers.

oaken
2013-11-19, 05:51 AM
Multiclass with the battle awareness feat to punish the enemy for ever trying to avoid you.

Would that require melee training to be effective for the avenger?

Not using a Fullblade (or other 2h Superior Weapon) will hurt you a fair bit though, unless it's critical to your concept that you have a shield or something, I'd run Fullblade and re-fluff away.

What do you mean? Just that the damage would be lower, or does the avenger get some extra benefit from using a Fullblade?

Gavran
2013-11-19, 06:31 AM
Just the damage. "A fair bit" is relative, I suppose, but refluffing a weapon is an incredibly simple and harmless move - and in this case you're merely refluffing a big blade to another big blade. Rather than saying you absolutely have to use a Fullblade, I mean to say if you're going Avenger you're already going to refluff your divine powers as some kind of dedication to a cause or code of conduct, in which case it'd be kind of silly to not go ahead and make a minor re-fluff of the Fullblade as well.

windgate
2013-11-19, 03:00 PM
Would that require melee training to be effective for the avenger?

What do you mean? Just that the damage would be lower, or does the avenger get some extra benefit from using a Fullblade?

(1) If you select a deity of the skill domain, you open up access to the feat "power of skill". Power of skill lets you use the at-will "overwhelming strike" as a melee basic attack. Having an opportunity attack/charge that slides is rather nasty.

(2)
Longsword (military one handed, no feat needed)
+3 Proficiency 1d8 damage (4.5 average)

Full Blade (superior 2 handed heavy blade, needs a feat, senoskes weapon is a perfect visual of this)
+3 Proficiency 1d12 damage High Crit (6.5 average)

Other options: Gouge (superior), Falchion (class feat can turn this military weapon into 2d4 brutal 2)

4.5 v 6.5 doesn't seem like much at first. However as you level you start rolling more (W) with each attack and it adds up.

windgate
2013-11-19, 03:16 PM
Avengers come in 3 subtypes:

Pursuit- Damage bonus when you chosen enemy moves away from you

Unity - Damage Bonus against enemy surrounded by your allies (wouldn't really recommend due to the solo'ist nature of kenshin)

Martyr(?)- Damage Bonus whenever a non-chosen enemy hurts you (for the machoistic character :p )

There are a bunch of good themes to look at, however 3 stand out to me:

Vigilante (not added to builder yet, only in the dragon magazine right now)
- Minor action stance that lets your mark any enemy you hit with a melee attack. Combined with the pursuit damage bonus you become fairly sticky.

Guardian:
Immediate interrupt power. Monster is forced to attack you instead of an ally. Afterwords you hit it back with a melee basic

Sohei-
Minor action melee weapon attack. Option level 3 encounter power lets you use that minor action attack after a charge (normally charging ends your turn)

Edit:
Avengers are different than typical strikers in the way that you think about their damage feature. They don't often get the bonus damage. Instead their striker feature is really "oath of enmity" letting them make 2 attack rolls instead of 1 every time they try to hit their primary target. You end up getting a lot more crits :)

oaken
2013-11-19, 03:31 PM
Just the damage. "A fair bit" is relative, I suppose, but refluffing a weapon is an incredibly simple and harmless move - and in this case you're merely refluffing a big blade to another big blade. Rather than saying you absolutely have to use a Fullblade, I mean to say if you're going Avenger you're already going to refluff your divine powers as some kind of dedication to a cause or code of conduct, in which case it'd be kind of silly to not go ahead and make a minor re-fluff of the Fullblade as well.

(1) If you select a deity of the skill domain, you open up access to the feat "power of skill". Power of skill lets you use the at-will "overwhelming strike" as a melee basic attack. Having an opportunity attack/charge that slides is rather nasty.

(2)
Longsword (military one handed, no feat needed)
+3 Proficiency 1d8 damage (4.5 average)

Full Blade (superior 2 handed heavy blade, needs a feat, senoskes weapon is a perfect visual of this)
+3 Proficiency 1d12 damage High Crit (6.5 average)

Other options: Gouge (superior), Falchion (class feat can turn this military weapon into 2d4 brutal 2)

4.5 v 6.5 doesn't seem like much at first. However as you level you start rolling more (W) with each attack and it adds up.

Interesting.

One thing I really liked about the Berserker is the defender/striker differences, how it matches so well with "Kenshin" x "Battousai", as Ashdate pointed out.

In an attempt to bring some of that flavor to a different class, do you guys think it would be feasible to fluff the sakabatou in a way that its damage is higher when Kenshin is in Battousai mode?

(When he goes Battousai he usually flips the sword, attacking with its sharp edge, with the intent to kill instead of just defeating the enemy.)

I mean, when the sword edge is normal it would be like a refluffed longsword, then when it's flipped it would be like a refluffed fullblade.

There would have to be either a penalty for "flipping" the sword though, or an advantage for keeping it straight otherwise, mechanically speaking, there would be no point in using it as a longsword.

Guardian:
Immediate interrupt power. Monster is forced to attack you instead of an ally. Afterwords you hit it back with a melee basic

Sohei-
Minor action melee weapon attack. Option level 3 encounter power lets you use that minor action attack after a charge (normally charging ends your turn

Nice, these two sound very aligned with Kenshin's character.

windgate
2013-11-19, 04:13 PM
Interesting.

One thing I really liked about the Berserker is the defender/striker differences, how it matches so well with "Kenshin" x "Battousai", as Ashdate pointed out.

In an attempt to bring some of that flavor to a different class, do you guys think it would be feasible to fluff the sakabatou in a way that its damage is higher when Kenshin is in Battousai mode?

(When he goes Battousai he usually flips the sword, attacking with its sharp edge, with the intent to kill instead of just defeating the enemy.)

I mean, when the sword edge is normal it would be like a refluffed longsword, then when it's flipped it would be like a refluffed fullblade.

There would have to be either a penalty for "flipping" the sword though, or an advantage for keeping it straight otherwise, mechanically speaking, there would be no point in using it as a longsword.

Nice, these two sound very aligned with Kenshin's character.

Looking at your desires from the berserker standpoint..

Berserkers start off in defender mode. They can then switch into "striker" mode when they use a primal keyword power (or spend a minor action when bloodied). Class mechanics prevent them from turning back into defender mode until the fight ends.

As a class feature, berserkers add an additional 1d8/2/d8/3d8 (per tier) to damage rolls when they enter striker mode. "flipping the sword around" is already expressed by this mechanic.

The one problem the character will have would be if Kenshin somehow wants to calm down and return to his non-lethal mindset in the middle of a fight. Mechanics wise you are pretty much stuck.

As for armor and weapons.
In defender mode, you get a damage bonus to attack made as punishments for attacking your allies (and have +2 AC). In striker, your personal attacks deal more damage but you lose the protector aspect until the fight ends. There is your trade off

As Kenshin, he protects his friends at the cost to himself. As Battosi, all that matters is killing the enemy.

The other downside of the Berserker is you are essentially forced into strength/Dex for ability scores. I viewed Kenshin as having high dex and wisdom (+ a little charisma)

If you chose "arid" as the subtype and select the unarmored agility feat, Kenshin can have really nice AC wearing no shield and cloth armor.

Edit: Whoops misread your comment. You saw the switch in the berserker already.

For the Avenger you are looking at daily stances and powers(such as aspect of might) that provide long term encounter long damage boosts.

For something more sustainable as an avenger...
Grab the MC Feat and a second feat to swap for a fighter utility power (feat is called novice/adept/acolyte power, I forget which) There is a fighter heroic level encounter utility stance that reduces your AC exchange for a power bonus to melee damage rolls.

oaken
2013-11-20, 06:39 PM
Edit: Whoops misread your comment. You saw the switch in the berserker already.

For the Avenger you are looking at daily stances and powers(such as aspect of might) that provide long term encounter long damage boosts.

For something more sustainable as an avenger...
Grab the MC Feat and a second feat to swap for a fighter utility power (feat is called novice/adept/acolyte power, I forget which) There is a fighter heroic level encounter utility stance that reduces your AC exchange for a power bonus to melee damage rolls.

Cool, those look good, though it seems quite feat-expensive, but might be worth it. Do you have any suggestions for refluffing of Abjure Undead?

oaken
2014-01-26, 11:16 PM
Hey all, a small update on this: I went ahead and created a carnage falchion wielding elf Avenger (thought elf would match Kenshin's physique better from the standpoint of D&D races), played a few sessions with it, and it is a lot of fun! Thanks everyone for the feedback!

Minor Action attacks = :smallcool:

I started digging more into the Avenger class after this, and I started wondering if a rapier-based Avenger|Executioner/Fighter would make sense for this purpose.
My thoughts are that making it an Executioner-hybrid would allow for higher DPR (Power of Skill + Attack Finesse and Assassin's Strike). Poaching utility powers from Assassin could possibly allow for higher mobility. Downsides would be a hit on NADs and that it would cost one extra feat (for Armor of Faith).
Either way, it seems to match my idea of a character like Kenshin (deadly and fast, but somewhat frail).
Also, having an assassin background also fits pretty well with Kenshin's story.

Does it sound like an improvement? What do you guys think?

Thanks!

MunkeeGamer
2014-01-27, 04:03 PM
The most recent striker I made was an eladrin avenger|executioner with power of skill for Overwhelming Strike. It's brilliant! Way more in line with the way I like to play a melee striker mechanically as opposed to something like a ranger. The only difference is that mine is fluffed as a Church of Corellon assassin who works to dismantle overambitious Lloth priests. Oh yea, the other thing is that he dual wields a hidden rapier and hidden katar for assassin's creed style stealth attacks.

So yes, I'm obviously very supportive of this. I think you'll enjoy the weapon finesse extra damage. :D