PDA

View Full Version : Non-damagin reflex save spells

Hobbo Jim
2013-11-17, 03:37 PM
Hey everyone, I was wondering whether or not there are any useful spells that have a reflex save but does not damage, or at least has a secondary effect that is non-damaging (however still gives a negative effect). If anyone knows of any please let me know :)

eggynack
2013-11-17, 03:39 PM
Call avalanche (Frost, 90) deals 8d6 damage, but its major effect is burying enemies in its radius, with the damage as the secondary effect. It's kinda like an area of effect SoL spell. Awesome, in other words.

Lord Haart
2013-11-17, 03:43 PM
From top of my mind, Entangle and Web spring to… Darn, i was going totally tauthological here.

DarkSonic1337
2013-11-17, 05:41 PM
I'm pretty fond of resilient sphere. Used on yourself it's an impenetrable shield (though you have to get rid of it with dispel magic or use a no LoE teleportto get out. Used on enemies without the aforementioned escape methods it's a save or lose.

Deophaun
2013-11-17, 05:50 PM
Viscid glob deals no damage and used to be an awesome save-or-stay-the-hell-put spell, but it got hit pretty hard with the nerf bat when it was updated in the Spell Compendium.

lsfreak
2013-11-17, 06:12 PM
A search here (http://www.imarvintpa.com/dndLive/FindSpell.php) for Reflex partial or Reflex negates spells didn't reveal a lot of useful spells beyond what's been mentioned. Glancing through, I got avascular mass (target of ray has health reduced by half and Fort or stunned, then a web in the area), blackfire (1d4 Con damage a round + nausea, Fort to suppress for the round, spreads to adjacent on failed Reflex save) and freezing frog (solid fog, 1d6 damage a round, Reflex save every round or fall prone and Balance checks to move or fall prone). Except the last, the Reflex part is kind of secondary to the main event and they're all fairly high level.

There is also Entangling Scarf, but it's wu-jen only, a level higher than a druid's entangle, Reflex negates instead of still slowing movement, 1 round a level instead of 1 minute, and single-target instead of 40-foot-radius. It sucks, in other words.

Chronos
2013-11-17, 06:35 PM
There's also Bands of Steel, from the Spell Compendium.

erikun
2013-11-17, 06:42 PM
Otiluke's Resilient Sphere/Telekinetic Sphere allow a reflex save to escape, and basically act as Forcecage if that fails. Telekinetic Sphere has the advantage of allowing you to move it around, too.

I'm pretty fond of resilient sphere. Used on yourself it's an impenetrable shield (though you have to get rid of it with dispel magic or use a no LoE teleportto get out. Used on enemies without the aforementioned escape methods it's a save or lose.
Both spells are dismissable, so you can just turn the spell off as a standard action. You don't need to waste a Dispel Magic to get out of it.

St Fan
2013-11-17, 06:49 PM
"Disrobe" from the Book of Erotic Fantasy allows a reflex save for half if you're wearing armor.

What?

Karnith
2013-11-17, 09:04 PM
I'm a fan of Great Thunderclap (Spell Compendium, pp. 107-108), which is an area spell that offers a Will save to avoid being stunned, a Fortitude save to avoid being deafened, and a Reflex save to avoid falling prone.

Dread_Head
2013-11-18, 08:47 AM
Grease (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/grease.htm) has a reflex save or fall prone for anyone within the area

erikun
2013-11-18, 10:10 AM
Grease (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/grease.htm) has a reflex save or fall prone for anyone within the area
Not quite. It requires a balance check or fall prone if targeting the ground. It requres a reflex save only if you target an item currently being held, and only affects if the item is dropped or not.

Psyren
2013-11-18, 10:17 AM
Not quite. It requires a balance check or fall prone if targeting the ground. It requres a reflex save only if you target an item currently being held, and only affects if the item is dropped or not.

This is incorrect - when you cast the spell on the ground, any creatures standing in the area must make a reflex save. The Balance check stuff only comes into play if they try to move, and failing that provokes another reflex save. (Or no save at all if they tank the balance check.)

Zombulian
2013-11-18, 10:25 AM
A search here (http://www.imarvintpa.com/dndLive/FindSpell.php) for Reflex partial or Reflex negates spells didn't reveal a lot of useful spells beyond what's been mentioned. Glancing through, I got avascular mass (target of ray has health reduced by half and Fort or stunned, then a web in the area), blackfire (1d4 Con damage a round + nausea, Fort to suppress for the round, spreads to adjacent on failed Reflex save) and freezing frog (solid fog, 1d6 damage a round, Reflex save every round or fall prone and Balance checks to move or fall prone). Except the last, the Reflex part is kind of secondary to the main event and they're all fairly high level.

There is also Entangling Scarf, but it's wu-jen only, a level higher than a druid's entangle, Reflex negates instead of still slowing movement, 1 round a level instead of 1 minute, and single-target instead of 40-foot-radius. It sucks, in other words.

But then later it upgraded to Decapitating Scarf! So worth it.

Particle_Man
2013-11-18, 04:39 PM
If psionic powers count there is Ectoplasmic Cocoon:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/ectoplasmicCocoon.htm

and its larger sibling, Mass Ectoplasmic Cocoon:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/ectoplasmicCocoonMass.htm

Eldest
2013-11-18, 06:49 PM
"Disrobe" from the Book of Erotic Fantasy allows a reflex save for half if you're wearing armor.

What?

I am afraid to ask how "half" would work in that case.

Studoku
2013-11-18, 06:54 PM
Sandblast (Spell Compendium, 180) does a pitiful amount of damage and stuns for 1 round on a failed reflex save.

You're looking for spells that work with spellwarp sniper?

ericgrau
2013-11-18, 11:35 PM
Reverse gravity has a reflex save to grab a nearby object to keep you from falling up. If there is no nearby object then it has no save.