PDA

View Full Version : Eberron Train Heist *Solo Adventure ideas*

CyberThread
2013-11-17, 09:38 PM
So this is for looking for ideas, of a train heist happening on the lighting rail in Eberron. No previous adventure, and no aftermath. Just the heist itself * so strategy and combat , with maybe some hostage taking*

What sort of idea do you think this would be good for, as far as starting level, and length of combats.

FrznTear
2013-11-17, 09:44 PM
-Have warforged working for the Lord of Blades get onto the train by riding up to it on horse.

-Have them backed up by Halfling's on Pteradactyls for air support

-realize you are running Whisper's of the Vampire blade

yougi
2013-11-18, 12:01 AM
-Have warforged working for the Lord of Blades get onto the train by riding up to it on horse.

-Have them backed up by Halfling's on Pteradactyls for air support

-realize you are running Whisper's of the Vampire blade

That is still to this day the greatest encounter I've ever run. I didn't run it as is (ran this with a level 7 group from memory, so had to change the monsters themselves), but kept the tactics, chaos, and multiple factions. It was amazing.

To the OP: In all seriousness, I'd take a look at WotVB: almost every encounter in this scenario was mind-blowingly awesome (up to the Ziggurat):
-PCs ride a carriage against the target, while his Sorcerer sister slings spells over her shoulders. Eventually, muscle* shows up to block the PCs;
- PCs are in a ballroom, where all are masked, and eventually, a fight breaks out: there are about 5 factions in there, and the PCs are (supposed to be) unarmed;
- PCs follow target who gets in an airship that is leaving, and PCs must get past guards in the 3-4 rounds before the airship is out of there. Every round, the jump check gets harder;
- PCs' airship is attacked by another airship, pirate style, and while they fight and the target gets away, the airship plummet to the ground;
- The train encounter (PCs see target get on train, try to find him: during that time, past enemies attack the PCs)

*Muscle in question takes the form of summoned wolves, as the target is a vampire.

While it's not really a heist, the PCs are looking for an item of the target's, and chase him through all that: it could fit with a little refluff.

Tevesh
2013-11-18, 01:06 AM
There was a Dragon or Dungeon that had this exact scenario. What made it unique is that there was a self-imposed time limit of 1 hour. The PCs had to stop the train or it got diverted where a whole bunch of slavers were sitting in wait.

It was pretty kick ass with the adventurers having to push through the minions to showdown with the Fighter Rakshasa who has a pretty brutal fight with his 15 DR.

It was fun being a Tiefling getting Bullrushed through a window and fall right out. There are some rules towards fighting on Trains in Five Nations.

While Googling for that adventure, I stumbled upon this thread. Seems to have a lot of the Lighting Rail related stuff:
http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/3732226

From Googling, I think the adventure is in Dungeon 143.

CyberThread
2013-11-18, 11:47 AM
that small adventure seems great for a no big investment bit.

Invader
2013-11-18, 12:30 PM
I actually did this exact adventure and it worked out fairly well.

Halflings from the Talenta Plains had been raiding the lightning rail by using pterodactyls to fly in drop onto the cars and then make off with whatever they could grab from the cargo cars. I had them use custom bolas that entangled the target on a ranged touch attacks because they were basically peaceful and just stealing to keep a local dust hag from killing their tribe by paying her a tribute.