PDA

View Full Version : Aging

kanachi
2007-01-10, 09:25 PM
Hiya guys, odd request but I was just wondering what spells (or powers) you were all aware of that allow for the aging of either creatures or materials.

Also how would you go about making a spells designed to age objects? (making them brittle, rust or have other affects).

Thanks!

Ultimatum479
2007-01-10, 09:55 PM
There are plenty for aging creatures. Materials? Not too sure about that...Closest thing of which I know is a rust monster, which isn't what you're looking for.

jlousivy
2007-01-11, 12:54 AM
Speaking of aging, can you create a character of say 'Middle Age' and get the bonuses? also, i'm unclear on some of it, is it -1 physical +1 mental on old, and then an additional -2 physical, +1 mental @ old, and an additional -3 physical, +1 mental @ venerable?

ie: base of 18 int, and you make your character 'venerable' would it be int=21?\

i dont care about the -6 to all physical stats or the whole... death in a few years thing fyi

Behold_the_Void
2007-01-11, 01:40 AM
You could in theory but I know I'd never allow a level 1 character to start as venerable.

icke
2007-01-11, 05:27 AM
The AD&D ghosts: if Your character looks at one for the first time she gets 4d10 years older in an instant.

If You want to age material, employ Your wits: iron rusts, leather cracks, paper gets brittle, and so on. You can rule something along the line of this:

For each year of untended aging, materials loose 1hit point and 1 point of hardness. When hardness reaches 0, reduce the hit points by two per year. The object is destroyed at 0 hp as normally. Nothing can repair damage done by aging, but tending equipment carefully can prevent the effects of aging to occur.

Ultimatum479
2007-01-11, 06:34 AM
Well, can _delay_ the effects, say by making it every 4 years instead of every year. Can't prevent the effects completely...

Yeah, jlousivy, that's how the aging statistics go. Twice the physical loss of the mental gain. But if you're planning on aging yourself, I'd go with a monk. Timeless Body ftw. ^_^

icke
2007-01-11, 06:37 AM
Well, can _delay_ the effects, say by making it every 4 years instead of every year. Can't prevent the effects completely...

Yeah, better just delay it, no need for the eternal hemphen rope of the elven fisherman.

kanachi
2007-01-11, 06:58 AM
The AD&D ghosts: if Your character looks at one for the first time she gets 4d10 years older in an instant.

If You want to age material, employ Your wits: iron rusts, leather cracks, paper gets brittle, and so on. You can rule something along the line of this:

For each year of untended aging, materials loose 1hit point and 1 point of hardness. When hardness reaches 0, reduce the hit points by two per year. The object is destroyed at 0 hp as normally. Nothing can repair damage done by aging, but tending equipment carefully can prevent the effects of aging to occur.

i really like this, i was thinking something similar to this myself, as a spell/power what level would you say it was? how would you handel it mechanically?

Also i asume some materials would age at a different rate to others, for example if a sword looses 1 hit point and 1 point of hardness per year i asume something like stone would take far longer to errode.

thanks for all the idea/advice so far everyone :)

The Dirge
2007-01-11, 07:05 AM
I suppose it depends on what you do before you age it. For example, if you covered a sword in water and then cast age material, would it rust faster?

kanachi
2007-01-11, 09:16 AM
I suppose it depends on what you do before you age it. For example, if you covered a sword in water and then cast age material, would it rust faster?

I would asume the spell would replicate the enviromental damage related to the weapon (for simplicity), such as dampness for metal - however i supose thats logical, maybe such situations would x2 the aging process or apply a bonus +2years, +4years... whatever.

Also i dont supose anyone knows roughly how long time takes to damage various materials approximatly? obviously because this is a spell i think its logical to conclude that it ages the material with the asumption that its not tended to i.e not pollishing of swords etc...

icke
2007-01-11, 09:41 AM
i really like this, i was thinking something similar to this myself, as a spell/power what level would you say it was? how would you handel it mechanically?

Also i asume some materials would age at a different rate to others, for example if a sword looses 1 hit point and 1 point of hardness per year i asume something like stone would take far longer to errode.

thanks for all the idea/advice so far everyone :)

The different "aging rates" are already accounted for, since every material has different hardness and hit points. Yes, with this system stone erodes faster than steel rusts, but that should not impact the game too much.
Also, don't give circumstantial modifiers to spells, so no double/speed rusting when that spell is cast in wet weather. If You start like this, You end up assigning more/less damage dice ti fireball spells on a hot/rainy day!

The power of the spell changes dramatically whether You allow the aging to be reversible or not. If it's reversible, it could be an additional version if the Bestow Curse spell, if not, spell level 9+ is required(equal to a miracle)

Matthew
2007-01-11, 01:00 PM
Where can I find the aging rules?

kanachi
2007-01-11, 03:09 PM
The different "aging rates" are already accounted for, since every material has different hardness and hit points. Yes, with this system stone erodes faster than steel rusts, but that should not impact the game too much.
Also, don't give circumstantial modifiers to spells, so no double/speed rusting when that spell is cast in wet weather. If You start like this, You end up assigning more/less damage dice ti fireball spells on a hot/rainy day!

The power of the spell changes dramatically whether You allow the aging to be reversible or not. If it's reversible, it could be an additional version if the Bestow Curse spell, if not, spell level 9+ is required(equal to a miracle)

a very valid point.

The Dirge
2007-01-11, 07:27 PM
What about if a sword is left in a kou-tou (spelling?) lair. Arnet those partially submerged? And the underdark, wouldnet things decay slower there? (less moisture no sunlight etc)

kanachi
2007-01-11, 08:11 PM
What about if a sword is left in a kou-tou (spelling?) lair. Arnet those partially submerged? And the underdark, wouldnet things decay slower there? (less moisture no sunlight etc)

I think its simply easyer to imagine that the spell simulates what ever enviromental conditions are required to age the material correctly. It could easily get needlessly complex if you add enviromental situations to the mix as said above you dont do so for other spells.

The Dirge
2007-01-11, 09:34 PM
I think its simply easyer to imagine that the spell simulates what ever enviromental conditions are required to age the material correctly. It could easily get needlessly complex if you add enviromental situations to the mix as said above you dont do so for other spells.

Good call, if you did it for one spell you would have to do it for tohers as well.