PDA

View Full Version : Any suggestions on a good CO-OP/Multiplayer RPG Game?

Blind_Prophet
2013-11-18, 03:25 AM
Pretty much the title...My gamer girl and I love experiences RPGs together even if we just takes turns playing but we discovered the greatness that is the Tales series (we've already played through Symphonia, Abyss and Vesperia) and now were addicted to CO-OP RPGs and hoping more exist so I figured I ask at a few of my favorite forums.

So yeah we literally JUST finished Vesperia so were looking for another one, now we really prefer a standard RPG as opposed to something like Diablo but feel free to suggest anything also We'd prefer games on NES, SNES, PS1, PS2, XBOX, XBOX 360, Wii or Gamecube since I own all those systems but if there's an awesome enough game I might hunt down the relevant system (including PS3 since PS4s release will likely lower its price).

So far I'm looking into Secret of Mana, Secret of Evermore, Diablo 3 (Xbox360), Borderlands 2 (she might not like this one), and hopefully I can find the other tales games (would appreciate a list actually)but I'm sure theres WAY more than that so please lay your suggestions on me...vague, obscure, limited release I don't care as long as you think it would be fun.

So yeah go nuts suggest away:D

Ogremindes
2013-11-18, 05:20 AM
It's not readily available at all, but look into Seiken Densetsu 3, the never-officially localized sequel to Secret of Mana.

Toastkart
2013-11-18, 06:44 AM
Secret of Evermore is a vastly underrated game, but it doesn't have co-op, even though it would be pretty awesome if it did. Still worth checking out.

The Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance games for xbox are pretty good if you can find them, and they work ok on the 360 as well.

The Lego games are pretty good co-op fun, but they're not really rpgs.

Brother Oni
2013-11-18, 08:15 AM
Dungeon Siege 3 is a good Diablo-esque co-op game.

Eternal Sonata is co-op during the battle sequences, although the main overworld stuff is driven by player 1 only.

Fable 2 and Fable 3 are co-op, with the player 2 joining in as a henchmen of the first player's game.

On the less RPG-y scale, there's games like Little Big Planet (PS3 only) and Trine 2, although don't play either if your relationship isn't secure (I played Trine 2 with my brother and sister last Christmas and it wasn't until the New Year* that we started speaking to each other again).

As Evrine said, the Lego games are great co-op games although a bit light on story and RPG elements.

If you both have PCs and a decent connection, there's also the MMO option. Spiral Knights is a good one for this, although very story light.

*Chinese New Year

Winthur
2013-11-18, 09:24 AM
Dungeons & Dragons: Tower of Doom / Shadow over Mystara as D&D themed beat-em-ups with plenty of variety and fun to them. You get to choose among typical D&D archetypes like magic-users and clerics and fighters and each has enough abilities to keep the game fresh. AFAIK, Dragon's Crown is the modern spiritual successor.

Golden Axe is similar.

CarpeGuitarrem
2013-11-18, 09:39 AM
It's not terribly involved story-wise, but Torchlight 2 is an incredibly fun PC-based co-op RPG. It's a good ol' Diablo-style hack-and-slasher.

Sylthia
2013-11-18, 09:44 AM
Gauntlet: Dark Legacy for the GameCube is a pretty fun hack n' slash.

Blind_Prophet
2013-11-18, 12:08 PM
It's not readily available at all, but look into Seiken Densetsu 3, the never-officially localized sequel to Secret of Mana.

Neither of us speak Japanese :P Although I might pick it up through Play Asia than we can play an emulated version and apply a translation (it's the internet I sure I can find one somewhere)

Secret of Evermore is a vastly underrated game, but it doesn't have co-op, even though it would be pretty awesome if it did. Still worth checking out.

SOE is a funny game the co-op is actually full implemented into the game they just disabled it before they released it for some reason you can unlock the ability with gameshark (not a default code only works if you know how to "create your own codes" the way to do it is somewhere on the net) or theres a patch on the net that will unlock it on an emulated version of the game (I already own SoE)

The Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance games for xbox are pretty good if you can find them, and they work ok on the 360 as well.

Those types of games are definitely on the table our only concern is they might be a bit light on the story

Dungeon Siege 3 is a good Diablo-esque co-op game.

I tried that out didn't really like it...controls were kinda bleh...I'll try the 360 version though maybe the console controls are better (I LOVE the changes they made to D3 to work with consoles its way cool)

Eternal Sonata is co-op during the battle sequences, although the main overworld stuff is driven by player 1 only.

Oh I think I might actually own that game...I didn't realize it was co-op lol (note: what you described there is pretty much exactly how the co-op functions in the tales games)

Fable 2 and Fable 3 are co-op, with the player 2 joining in as a henchmen of the first player's game.

We've tried it and unfortunately being the henchman in those games kinda sucks its way to limiting for the 2nd player to be fun.

If you both have PCs and a decent connection, there's also the MMO option. Spiral Knights is a good one for this, although very story light.

We already play an MMO called DnD Online and we love it but were looking for something that can be played in the same room preferably on our nice big screen tv instead of our tiny laptop screens.

Dungeons & Dragons: Tower of Doom / Shadow over Mystara as D&D themed beat-em-ups with plenty of variety and fun to them. You get to choose among typical D&D archetypes like magic-users and clerics and fighters and each has enough abilities to keep the game fresh. AFAIK, Dragon's Crown is the modern spiritual successor.

Neither of us really like the straight up beat'em'ups...I played them WAY to much during the SNES era with my brother and kinda of burned the enjoyment out of them and shes not really into that genre

Hiro Protagonest
2013-11-18, 01:06 PM
We already play an MMO called DnD Online and we love it but were looking for something that can be played in the same room preferably on our nice big screen tv instead of our tiny laptop screens.

Sorry, but you're going to have to dig up ancient relics to do that. Which considering your console list, you can. But same-console co-op is a rare thing nowadays. And it totally dashes my idea.

Blind_Prophet
2013-11-18, 01:19 PM
Sorry, but you're going to have to dig up ancient relics to do that. Which considering your console list, you can. But same-console co-op is a rare thing nowadays. And it totally dashes my idea.

Feel free to make your suggestion :D

Hiro Protagonest
2013-11-18, 01:27 PM
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate. But it requires 3DS or Wii-U. I have no idea about single-console or LAN on it. First couple of hours are slow (you basically just kill herbivores and harvest some resources), but you can play the same character in both single-player and multiplayer.

Blind_Prophet
2013-11-18, 01:35 PM
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate. But it requires 3DS or Wii-U. I have no idea about single-console or LAN on it. First couple of hours are slow (you basically just kill herbivores and harvest some resources), but you can play the same character in both single-player and multiplayer.

AH man we both have 3DS consoles but it seems to play mutiplayer on the DS you need the Wii U for some retarded reason...otherwise that might actually be a fun thing to do when were out somewhere or on the trai or something.

Hiro Protagonest
2013-11-18, 02:02 PM
AH man we both have 3DS consoles but it seems to play mutiplayer on the DS you need the Wii U for some retarded reason...otherwise that might actually be a fun thing to do when were out somewhere or on the trai or something.

What? That would mean multiplayer wasn't possible until the Wii-U came out.

Hm... basic Monster Hunter Tri is on the Wii, but I heard that the servers got taken down or something?

Blind_Prophet
2013-11-18, 02:02 PM
Added a bunch more games

CO-OP Games

NES
- None yet

SNES
- Secret of Mana
- Secret of Evermore (2 Player Version)
- Final Fantasy 6

Gamecube
- Phantasy Star Episode 1&2 Plus

DS/3DS
- Final Fantasy: Four Heroes of Light
- Fire Emblem: Awakening
- Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Sky
- Lord of the Rings: Conquest
- Children of Mana

Wii
- None yet

Xbox
- Hunter: The Reckoning
- Hunter: The Reckoning: Redeemer

Xbox360
- Diablo 3
- Borderlands 1/2
- Dungeon Siege 3
- Eternal Sonata
- Overlord 2
- Deathspank, Deathspank 2, Deathspank: The Baconing
- Torchlight 1

PS1
- Tales of Destiny
- Final Fantasy 5
- Final Fantasy 9
- Diablo 1

PS2
- Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance 1/2
- Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel
- Champions of Norrath
- Champions: Return to Arms
- Tales of Destiny 2
- Shining Tears
- Hunter: The Reckoning: Wayward

PS3
- Tales of Xillia 1/2
- Tales of Graces F

PC
- Baldur's Gate EE 1/2 (Require 2 PCs/Game Copies)
- Divinity:Original Sin (not yet released)
- Neverwinter Nights 1/2 (Require 2 PCs/Game Copies)
- Dungon Siege 1/2 (Require 2 PCs/Game Copies)
- Conclave
- Diablo 2 (Require 2 PCs/Game Copies)
- Overlord (Require 2 PCs/Game Copies)
- Torchlight 2

Psyren
2013-11-18, 05:19 PM
In general, if you have a roommate/relative/significant other/ward living with you and you're running short on gaming ideas, I recommend checking out Co-Optimus. (http://www.co-optimus.com/) I especially like that they go through indie/arcade titles.

Klaatu B. Nikto
2013-11-18, 06:08 PM
On Wii, XBox and PS2, there was Marvel Ultimate Alliance. Each had some console specific heroes I think. I believe Xbox360 had more downloadable content gaining Dr. Doom and Hulk for instance.

Ditto on MUA 2.

Brother Oni
2013-11-18, 07:01 PM
Lord of the Rings: War in the North is a co-op ARPG, but it's rather violent apparently.

Halo: Reach has a very good co-op campaign and story, but it's a FPS.

If you have enough hardware, you could get FF Crystal Chronicles for the Gamecube, although the Ring of Fates prequel for the DS has less hardware needs.

Blind_Prophet
2013-11-18, 09:05 PM
Lord of the Rings: War in the North is a co-op ARPG, but it's rather violent apparently.

Halo: Reach has a very good co-op campaign and story, but it's a FPS.

If you have enough hardware, you could get FF Crystal Chronicles for the Gamecube, although the Ring of Fates prequel for the DS has less hardware needs.

LOTR: WITN im currently playing with my brother so id rather not dsouble up on it...it IS a fun game though

Unfortunately we've never liked "shooters" the only one I've ever enjoyed was SWAT 4 but its more like a Real Time First Person Strategy RPG than an FPS.

I'm hoping Borderlands is more like Fallout than Call of Duty

Hiro Protagonest
2013-11-18, 09:07 PM
I'm hoping Borderlands is more like Fallout than Call of Duty

Nope. The extent of RPG elements in Borderlands is mandatory gear upgrades, one ability, and a bunch of passive bonuses to shooting or that ability.

Blind_Prophet
2013-11-18, 10:48 PM
Nope. The extent of RPG elements in Borderlands is mandatory gear upgrades, one ability, and a bunch of passive bonuses to shooting or that ability.

AH :( boo

Oh well on the bright side you have an awesome Avvy :D RWBY FTW!!!