PDA

View Full Version : Julio and Mechane an illusion

davidbofinger
2013-11-18, 10:11 AM
I'd like someone who knows more about D&D3.5 to tell me if it's possible for a bard of Elan's approximate rank to create an illusion of (a) the mechane and (b) Julio Scoundrel on a flying carpet.

If it were possible it would help explain
That Julio happened to be nearby
Why Julio was willing to enter a fight he expects will kill him
What Elan's plan is - to let Tarquin think he's killed the other father figure, so he doesn't need to kill Roy to motivate Elan's revenge.

Tarquin's ring of true seeing is an issue but since he always wears his ring of regeneration when he leaves home perhaps he swapped it out.

Kish
2013-11-18, 10:17 AM
Yes, it is theoretically possible.

Thirty gold says it's not the case.

Evandar
2013-11-18, 10:19 AM
Technically it's all an illusion, since they've been trapped in one since Girard's first explosive trap went off.

(Am I doing it right?)

Silverionmox
2013-11-18, 10:22 AM
Technically it's all an illusion, since they've been trapped in one since Girard's first explosive trap went off.

(Am I doing it right?)

The changing color of the sky supports that statement...

Mike Havran
2013-11-18, 10:26 AM
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g68/Cats_Are_Aliens/Banners/Elan.png QUADRUPLE FANTASY! QUADRUPLE FANTASY!

Porthos
2013-11-18, 10:28 AM
The main problem with this, beyond the obvious, is that this would have taken a high level spell slot to pull off. It would be odd, even for Elan, to hold back a high level spell when they were in such dire straits for so long. If only for healing purposes.

ORione
2013-11-18, 10:40 AM
Would an illusionary shadow be able to protect Durkon?

Porthos
2013-11-18, 10:51 AM
Would an illusionary shadow be able to protect Durkon?

Very probably not. Especially when one considers that Durkon, as an undead, is immune to mind-alerting spells.

Evandar
2013-11-18, 10:53 AM
Clearly we need to do double-blind trials to test the efficacy of shadows in preventing vampires from being turned into dust.

I will contact the lab.

Ewig Custos
2013-11-18, 10:57 AM
The problem with this theory lies with the fact that Tarquin has a Ring of True Seeing. He does not care about illusions.

Jay R
2013-11-18, 11:15 AM
Julio really has arrived. Don't look at me like that. There were like a ton of hints on this one.

Shale
2013-11-18, 11:22 AM
We'll see whether or not that's the case in the next strip. Since Elan doesn't have any illusion spells that can actually alter reality, an illusory shadow wouldn't stop Durkon from bursting into flames.

littlebum2002
2013-11-18, 11:35 AM
I'd like someone who knows more about D&D3.5 to tell me if it's possible for a bard of Elan's approximate rank to create an illusion of (a) the mechane and (b) Julio Scoundrel on a flying carpet.

Let's assume Elan has access to 5th level spells. He should have 2 if he has 13 levels in Bard. Persistent Image allows him to create a 180ft cube illusion with sound that can move, so yes, he could create that illusion.

If it were possible it would help explain
That Julio happened to be nearby

This is already explained: Durkon helped Elan get a message to him. That was days ago, he would have had time to get here by now. In fact, he might have been waitng for a suspension-appropriate time to appear

Why Julio was willing to enter a fight he expects will kill him

He figures that it is better for him to die than Elan.
Or he wants to get revenge on Tarquin, no matter the cost.

What Elan's plan is - to let Tarquin think he's killed the other father figure, so he doesn't need to kill Roy to motivate Elan's revenge.

Now that DOES have a good point. However, if Tarquin interacts with the illusion, there's a decent chance he'll realize what it is.

Tarquin's ring of true seeing is an issue but since he always wears his ring of regeneration when he leaves home perhaps he swapped it out.

But then what's his other ring?

multilis
2013-11-18, 11:43 AM
We'll see whether or not that's the case in the next strip. Since Elan doesn't have any illusion spells that can actually alter reality, an illusory shadow wouldn't stop Durkon from bursting into flames.
In 928 the ruler of Azure City casts dispel magic to neutralize the true seeing ring. So in next page either his royal scuffyness or his other minions - the holey brotherhood may find a way to stop Durkon from bursting into flames yet make it look like Julio.

Khay
2013-11-18, 01:42 PM
Having a ring of True Seeing and then not bringing it to a dungeon you know is going to be full of illusionists... "dumb" wouldn't even begin to describe it.

Kish
2013-11-18, 02:02 PM
Not wearing one's Ring of True Seeing for "a conflict with my high-level bard son which I want to win" would be comparably stupid.

quasit
2013-11-18, 03:04 PM
Having a ring of True Seeing and then not wearing it being a high level primary melee fighter class and knowing that invisible foes can be a total pain in the neck... just wear the damn ring. 24/7. And if he knew Polozius was Z in disguise he probably does.

infomatic
2013-11-18, 03:09 PM
Very probably not. Especially when one considers that Durkon, as an undead, is immune to mind-alerting spells.

Many types of illusion aren't mind-affecting, though, so this wouldn't be a problem.

However, both of Elan's illusion spells (per class and level geekery thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=311888)) are figments, which specifically cannot provide protection from the elements or "produce real effects".

So if you wanted Durkon to think he was in shadow, and thus safe, they could work. But he'd still fry.

Amphiox
2013-11-18, 03:52 PM
He figures that it is better for him to die than Elan.
Or he wants to get revenge on Tarquin, no matter the cost.

Or this is a convoluted scheme to one-up one of his other rivals (the one who took the "sexiest man alive" title from him after being rezzed) by arranging to make himself the "sexiest man alive, dead, and undead"!

FafnerMorell
2013-11-18, 04:21 PM
The real surprise will be when Elan wakes up and realizes he's Walter White.

Smolder
2013-11-18, 04:32 PM
Can an illusion block sunlight?

Psyren
2013-11-18, 04:48 PM
Can an illusion block sunlight?

As long as they are not disbelieved, illusions are opaque. Otherwise Elan's trick with the wall wouldn't have fooled Nale.

Shale
2013-11-18, 04:51 PM
However, only Shadow illusions will actually affect objective reality. Otherwise, any effect an illusion has is "all in your mind." Unless a vampire can avoid bursting into flames by sincerely believing himself to be in shadow, Durkon would still be screwed.