PDA

View Full Version : [PF]Halfling Character Help

tricktroller
2013-11-18, 12:33 PM
Ok folks, so I posted asking for help and got completely ignored, so I am posting a similar but different thread.

My idea for the character is that he is the twin of one of the other characters who will be in the party. The twin is an investigator who will be focusing on having lots of magic items to help himself better sort of like a fantasy batman. I want to play a Wizard spellslinger archetype that uses dual revolvers so that even if he is out of spells he has a backup.

His stats were rolled 18,18,16,16,12,12. he is a halfling

Str 10
Dex 20
Con 16
Int 18
Wis 16
Cha 14

Now I have played 3.x since 3.0 came out and played 1st and 2nd edition before that but I am not very familiar with pathfinder. I also think I would like to take a level of Trapper ranger so I can search for traps and disable them if need be.

I like playing extremely self-sufficient characters. I was thinking I'd do

Trapper Ranger1/Spellslinger 5/Eldritchknight 10/Spellslinger 4

But in all honesty I really have no idea what the best way to do this would be. Obviously I need some sort of class that gives me all martial weapons but beyond that I'm at a loss. I really just want to play a gun mage who fires bullets and magic out of two guns at a time.

Was thinking I'd take the fleet of foot halfling trait, and the adaptable luck trait. My stats make my saves pretty good already I don;t think another +1 is necessary especially since I will have bonuses to all my saves form classes.

I really appreciate any and all help I can get.

grarrrg
2013-11-18, 10:36 PM
Fighting with 2 guns is going to be problematic.
Since the recent FAQ nerf to Weapon Cords you now _need_ an extra limb to reload (or have advanced guns available).

As for Trapfinding, Ranger is your only Full Bab choice.
Although there are plenty of other ways (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230500) to get it:
Alchemist 1A (Crypt Breaker)
Bard 1A (Sandman)
Bard 2A (multiple archetypes)
Oracle 1A (Seeker)
Ranger 1A (Trapper), or 3A (Urban Ranger)
Rogue 1
Sorcerer 1A (Seeker)

Aspis Agent 1
Balanced Scale of Abadar 1, only Temporarily disables Magic traps
Brother of the Seal 2
Cyphermage 1?, Can only detect "writing" based traps, can detect them with Perception or Knowledge (Arcana), can disable them with Disable Device or Spellcraft
Field Agent 1, optional (can also be taken at 3, 6 or 9)
Pathfinder Delver 1

Vanitas
2013-11-18, 10:40 PM
Or you could get a Glove of Storing.

grarrrg
2013-11-18, 11:07 PM
Or you could get a Glove of Storing.

Hmm...It'll definitely help.
But one glove takes up both hand slots, and while switching hands on _a_ weapon is a free action, I'm not sure what switching hands with _two_ weapons is.

That and it's a decent chunk of change, 10,000 up front, 5,000 if you can get one crafted.

Vanitas
2013-11-18, 11:53 PM
Hmm...It'll definitely help.
But one glove takes up both hand slots, and while switching hands on _a_ weapon is a free action, I'm not sure what switching hands with _two_ weapons is.

That and it's a decent chunk of change, 10,000 up front, 5,000 if you can get one crafted.

Well, if your DM is such a jerk that he won't allow your mid-level Gunslinger shenanigans like this (specially with a kind of expensive magical item), reloading should be the least of your concerns. :smallwink:

tricktroller
2013-11-19, 10:28 AM
Ha well after I worked on the character for awhile and told the DM what my plan was, after being told everything pathfinder was allowed, I was informed guns will not be allowed as they take away from the fantasy aspect.

So, now I am waiting to see if he allows Kobold press materials and if he does I plan to make a halfling cleric with the ascetic archetype.

I would love any help with a fun halfling build character with the stats
18,18,16,16,12,12 arranged any way I want them.

My idea for the ascetic is to take the heirloom weapon trait, the one from the book, with a medium sized greatsword the magic and travel domains. I will launch the greatsword at people first turn and then attack people with it.

However, when it comes to Pathfinder I really have no idea what I am doing, so any and all suggestions and help would be welcome. If there is a non magus gish to play that could be fun.

grarrrg
2013-11-19, 11:18 AM
Well, if your DM is such a jerk that he won't allow your mid-level Gunslinger shenanigans like this (specially with a kind of expensive magical item), reloading should be the least of your concerns. :smallwink:

Well, now I am kinda curious on the "2-weapon hand swap" thing, and what action is required to do so.

Ha well after I worked on the character for awhile and told the DM what my plan was, after being told everything pathfinder was allowed, I was informed guns will not be allowed as they take away from the fantasy aspect.

So, now I am waiting to see if he allows Kobold press materials and if he does I plan to make a halfling cleric with the ascetic archetype.

Well, time to change the title of the thread, or go make another new thread then...

tricktroller
2013-11-19, 01:12 PM
is that better?

BWR
2013-11-19, 01:47 PM
Just for fun, I love the Well Prepared (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/advanced/advancedFeats.html) feat.

tricktroller
2013-11-20, 10:28 AM
haha yeah that's pretty funny and I am sure I could get that skill check up pretty high even at first level.

tricktroller
2013-11-20, 11:58 AM
Is there a way to make a halfling monk that wouldn't be totally gimped by size?

I understand he won't be as good as a human of the same class but can it be done to make him still effective?

tricktroller
2013-11-20, 12:01 PM
also how viable would a halfling rogue 2/ wizard x gish-ish character play?

Stats
Str 14
Dex 20
Con 16
Int 18
Wis 12
Cha 14

grarrrg
2013-11-20, 09:19 PM
Is there a way to make a halfling monk that wouldn't be totally gimped by size?

I understand he won't be as good as a human of the same class but can it be done to make him still effective?

Underfoot Adept (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/core-races/halfling/underfoot-adept-monk-halfling) archetype would be a decent start.
It's focused on Tripping. At 4th level you count as Medium for the purposes of what size you can Trip, and your CMB/CMD for Tripping.
At 8th you count as Large, 12th is Huge...Yeah.
Trip Focused Halfling Monk would probably be the best way to go.

NamelessNPC
2013-11-20, 09:38 PM
counting as huge is only a +2, I don't think that is a very powerful archetype. What is the expected optimization level?

Splendor
2013-11-20, 09:51 PM
Keep in mind in Pathfinder small creatures only get a -1 to CMB & CMD so its not as bad as 3.5's -4.

The Agile Maneuvers feat allows you to use your DEX instead of your STR for CMB, so that feat alone would increase your CMB by 3 (14 Str vs 20 Dex).

While Underfoot Adept archetype adds a little to CMB you lose High Jump at 5th level. Which I seemed to use alot, last time I played a monk.

Edit:
Lore Warden is a better grappler than a monk.
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/fighter/archetypes/paizo---fighter-archetypes/lore-warden

Mantis Style Feat would increase stunning fists DC

Side note: A Human could take the Racial Heritage (Halfling) trait and take the halfling favored class bonus.

avr
2013-11-20, 10:07 PM
If you use 2 monk levels to get into one of the style feat trees early you could then make the most of unarmed strikes by multiclassing as a spellcaster. It would fit your preference for gishes and it might make a halfling monk work.

This could work with druid - there's another thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=315508) where magotter recommends this - or cleric, or magus.

If you're starting at a higher level you might be able to do without one or both the monk levels, but they do make it easier. I wrote up a magus (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=710201) which tries something like this (delivering touch attacks with unarmed strike and styles) without monk levels for an E6 PbP game and it only comes together one feat after level 6.

grarrrg
2013-11-20, 10:25 PM
counting as huge is only a +2, I don't think that is a very powerful archetype. What is the expected optimization level?

Underfoot Adept keeps scaling, I just didn't feel like typing it all out. At level 20 you count as Colossal for the purposes of Tripping things.
Also, Tripping is limited to creatures up to one size larger than you.
So a level 8 Underfoot Adept can (potentially) trip Huge creatures, whereas a normal Medium character can only ever trip up to Large.

I'm not saying "If you like Tripping go Halfling Monk", I'm saying "if your going to be a Halfling Monk, take a look at this".
And what you trade away isn't all that much.

tricktroller
2013-11-21, 11:10 AM
Ok so lets figure out the best way to make this trippy dippy weatherman.