PDA

View Full Version : Quick Warblade Upgrade [KISS-principle]

Firechanter
2013-11-18, 01:24 PM
This sprung from the current (un-dying) discussion about the position of the Warblade (and other classes with "War-" in the name) in the Tier system. While I still am convinced that the classical placement at T3 is justified, one has to admit the class has some weak spots that push it towards the lower end of the scale (i.e., closer to T4).

So, here are a couple of ideas for an easy, simple houserule set to plant the Warbie more firmly into the centre of T3. Since this is supposed to be a quick fix instead of an extended rewrite, I'm keeping this in the 3.5 board rather than the Homebrew section.

So here goes:

* Give him proficiency with _all_ Simple and Martial weapons already. While the WB's main area will always be Melee, it can't hurt to allow him to pick up a bow now and then without jumping hoops.

* Expand the skill list to include at least Listen, and preferrably also Sense Motive and similar skills. Maybe also Ride, not that he needs it at all but just because some people who think Mounted Combat is useful won't shut up otherwise. :Þ

* lastly, how about an added Int synergy as class ability, maybe like this: from level 4 onward, the Warblade receices his INT modifier (if positive) as bonus on all Wis- and Cha-based checks (including skills).

--

That said, if you want to substantially improve Adepts, for example for use in a game with multiple well-optimized T1s, you might want to go further. Again, a KISS suggestion:

* Roll the 3 Martial Adept classes into one: Full BAB, 3 Good saves, d12 HD, Swordsage maneuver progression, Warblade refresh, all non-exotic Weapons and Armour, Swordsage skill points and skill list plus Diplomacy, access to all Disciplines.
If combining the Special Abilities of all three classes, re-key them to a single mental stat, preferrably Int.

danzibr
2013-11-18, 01:29 PM
I never thought of how awesome a ToB tristalt would be... *shudders*

Firechanter
2013-11-18, 02:12 PM
I never thought of how awesome a ToB tristalt would be... *shudders*

And that was just an afterthought; if I got to combine two of these classes into a pseudo-Gestalt, I'd pick Warblade and Swordsage.