PDA

View Full Version : [PF] How to get Contingency as a Summoner?

Frosty
2013-11-18, 01:34 PM
I play a aasimar summoner who may eventually get a wizard cohort. Besides having my cohort craft scrolls of it for me to use? That can get expensive if I have to use 2 scrolls every 26 days (extended contingency @ CL13) for 2275 gold total.

Spore
2013-11-18, 02:01 PM
I think the chances are slim that you can get blanket contingency. But tell us what you want to do for contingency plans and maybe we can come up with work arounds.

I will still try to find something other than retraining Eldritch Heritage with Arcane Bloodline. (Skill Focus Knowledge (any one), Eldritch Heritage (Arcane Bond, which nets you a neat companion or an additional spell/day) + Improved Eldritch Heritage (New Arcana)). You will be able to get 6th level spells by 16, and it is debatable if you can choose 2 6th level spells if you take the feat post 16).

Frosty
2013-11-18, 02:18 PM
Yeah eww...spending 3 feats to learn Contingency? That's...rough. I mean, sure I get a skill focus and a familiar to go with it, but still...

Spore
2013-11-18, 02:29 PM
Stick Improved Familiar on top and have a UMD monkey (= basically like free quickened spells).

Frosty
2013-11-18, 02:31 PM
So 4 feats XD But...not a bad idea I guess? My familiar can use wands in order to do stuff like cast buffs on on me and my eidolon!

Barstro
2013-11-18, 02:55 PM
So 4 feats XD But...not a bad idea I guess? My familiar can use wands in order to do stuff like cast buffs on on me and my eidolon!

Slightly off topic;
I'm not sure you can wand things like "Enlarge Person" on your Eidolon, even if you craft the wand.

But, most other buffs do not have such a limitation, so it's hardly a large drawback.

Frosty
2013-11-18, 03:02 PM
Oh fine. I guess I'll cast Mass Enlarge Person myself, and have my familiar cast Strongjaw from a wand.

Btw our party has no druid. How to craft wand of Strongjaw?

As for why I want a contingency, it's an evil compaign and I expect to get Death-Attacked by the Assassin at some point. Or Poisoned. Or betrayed in battle, etc.

So in general, I want to 1) be able to be brought back automatically after being reduced to below negative HP and 2) Be plane-shifted to my personal Demi-plane that I've created via Create Demi-plane, where I'll have some potions stocked up.

Spore
2013-11-18, 03:21 PM
No one can touch you while your Eidolon is up. Periapt of Proof against Poison makes you immune to poison and permanency on Death Ward would be possible (but idk if Ex abilities count as magic death effects).

Frosty
2013-11-18, 03:32 PM
Yeah, but my eidolon's not up when I'm asleep or otherwise unconscious for some reason. Death ward won't help against Death Attack I'm sure.

Frosty
2013-11-18, 07:39 PM
It's expensive, but what about a Ring of Spell Storing, Major (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/rings/ring-of-spell-storing-major)? My cohort casts Contingency into the ring, and then gives the ring to me so I can cast the Contingency myself.

avr
2013-11-19, 05:36 AM
200 000 gold. Expensive, yes.

If psionics is available, a dorje of trigger power (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/psionic-powers/t/trigger-power) and a dorje of some relevant panic button power - or just the former if your DM reads psi-magic transparency that way - could do the trick at a cost of 1000 or so GP/charge. I assume sufficient UMD is not an issue.

If you can design your own staff then you could do the same with magic alone.

Firest Kathon
2013-11-19, 08:26 AM
Yeah, but my eidolon's not up when I'm asleep or otherwise unconscious for some reason. Death ward won't help against Death Attack I'm sure.

If you have a feat slot free, have a look at Resilient Eidolon (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/resilient-eidolon), which gets you around that limitation. And since the eidolon does not sleep, you have a truly loyal bodyguard.

Spore
2013-11-19, 09:06 AM
If his character isn't into powernapping this feat won't go around the limitation of normal sleep. But I guess it's easier to substitute mundane sleep by magical items than getting feats that keep your eidolon up while you sleep.

Plus it gives you an opportunity to roleplay a paranoid character.

Barstro
2013-11-19, 10:19 AM
If you have a feat slot free, have a look at Resilient Eidolon (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/resilient-eidolon), which gets you around that limitation. And since the eidolon does not sleep, you have a truly loyal bodyguard.

Only works for 1 round/lvl. Not much of a bodyguard, even with a Ring of Sustenance. But that would still be one of my first Feats, just so the Summoner isn't suddenly without backup in a fight.

Frosty
2013-11-19, 11:33 AM
I grabbed it for my level 3 feat. Level 1 it's just not worth it. What about a staff with the Contingency spell on it? Can I use it with UMD or something?

Firest Kathon
2013-11-20, 03:43 AM
If his character isn't into powernapping this feat won't go around the limitation of normal sleep. But I guess it's easier to substitute mundane sleep by magical items than getting feats that keep your eidolon up while you sleep.

Plus it gives you an opportunity to roleplay a paranoid character.

Only works for 1 round/lvl. Not much of a bodyguard, even with a Ring of Sustenance. But that would still be one of my first Feats, just so the Summoner isn't suddenly without backup in a fight.

You're absolutely right. Maybe I should have read the full feat text instead of only the synopsis...

avr
2013-11-20, 03:55 AM
Yes, you can definitely use UMD.

Use a Wand, Staff, or Other Spell Trigger Item: Normally, to use a wand, you must have the wand's spell on your class spell list. This use of the skill allows you to use a wand as if you had a particular spell on your class spell list. Failing the roll does not expend a charge.