PDA

View Full Version : Homebrewed Trolls

Belingorm
2013-11-18, 02:19 PM
I need help setting up homebrewed version of the trolls. My trolls are more in the vane of Tolkien then the Poul Anderson based D&D troll. That means my trolls do not regenerate and are not tall skinny humanoids with long noses and rubbery skin. I am thinking that half-trolls are created when orcs are crossed with trolls.

Physical Description: Trolls are huge humanoids that stand twelve to fourteen feet tall. They are fifty percent broader then a humanoid being of the same height. They have a powerful muscular build with a barrel shaped chest. Their unusually dense and tough skin is slate grey in color. The skeleton is robust. Their skull slopes low over their brain. Their straight hair is either black or blue-black in color and worn at the shoulders or longer. Their eyes are pale yellow to bright yellow in color. Their jaws have thirty-six sharp teeth and four canine fangs. Their broad shoulder anchor a pair of long, powerful arms that reach down to the knee. The hands end in sharp iron gray claws. The legs are pillar-like structures. The feet are nearly round. Each foot has three iron grey nails.
Height: 12 -14 feet tall
Weight:?

BWR
2013-11-18, 02:38 PM
So basically ogres or hill giants?
Or any size giant with a lower Int score, really.

The traditional Norse troll is like that, which is what Tolkien based his trolls on.
Of course there are a great variety of Norse trolls with a number of differing abilities and weaknesses.

Belingorm
2013-11-18, 02:46 PM
So basically ogres or hill giants?
Or any size giant with a lower Int score, really.

The traditional Norse troll is like that, which is what Tolkien based his trolls on.
Of course there are a great variety of Norse trolls with a number of differing abilities and weaknesses.I just read that in this tv tropes (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AllTrollsAreDifferent)

I have been think that my trolls have darkvision.

BWR
2013-11-19, 03:57 AM
So you have ogre/giant with darkvision. Problem solved?

Yora
2013-11-19, 06:04 AM
I call ogres trolls and call it a day.

Legendxp
2013-11-20, 02:45 PM
The trolls in my campaigns are like the ones from the Legend of Drizzt series, they don't die unless you use fire. The big change is that limbs that have been chopped off don't shrivel up, they grow new bodies. Its how my trolls reproduce.

BWR
2013-11-20, 03:27 PM
So, normal D&D trolls?

Legendxp
2013-11-20, 05:08 PM
I was under the impression that that the "grow an entire new body" thing was specific only to that series of books. If I'm mistaken could you please state the source you used?

EDIT: For reference the SRD portion on Regeneration states this;

Originally posted by SRD
Severed parts that are not reattached wither and die normally.

Eladrinblade
2013-11-22, 04:10 PM
I need help setting up homebrewed version of the trolls. My trolls are more in the vane of Tolkien then the Poul Anderson based D&D troll. That means my trolls do not regenerate and are not tall skinny humanoids with long noses and rubbery skin. I am thinking that half-trolls are created when orcs are crossed with trolls.

Physical Description: Trolls are huge humanoids that stand twelve to fourteen feet tall. They are fifty percent broader then a humanoid being of the same height. They have a powerful muscular build with a barrel shaped chest. Their unusually dense and tough skin is slate grey in color. The skeleton is robust. Their skull slopes low over their brain. Their straight hair is either black or blue-black in color and worn at the shoulders or longer. Their eyes are pale yellow to bright yellow in color. Their jaws have thirty-six sharp teeth and four canine fangs. Their broad shoulder anchor a pair of long, powerful arms that reach down to the knee. The hands end in sharp iron gray claws. The legs are pillar-like structures. The feet are nearly round. Each foot has three iron grey nails.
Height: 12 -14 feet tall
Weight:?

This sounds like a mountain troll from the MM3. As described, yours are shorter, but obviously very thick, moreso than a fire giant even. Go look at the mountain troll, I bet it's exactly what you want (minus the fast healing).