PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Concept Help (nWoD meets CthuluTech)

TeddyKazooie
2013-11-18, 03:36 PM
Hey folks, I've been mulling over this concept for a couple weeks now. After watching Black Lagoon for the first time I was curious to run something with some players willing to have opposing motivations. Since D20 Modern hasn't been very popular for me and CthulhuTech was a bit too confusing when I tried to run it I settled on nWoD for its relatively easy mechanics. I loved the stories like The Mist and the CthulhuTech world so much I wanted to incorporate those elements into my concept.

So the world is like this: Some mysterious event occurred in the US Midwest that caused tentacled horrors and a strange mossy plant to burst into being. As the moss rapidly grew and spread the monsters followed. Conventional weapons are worthless against the monsters so the US was rapidly consumed. People fled primarily into Canada, Mexico, and across the gulf to the Caribbean Islands. The game would follow the PCs as they try to make a living as hired guns in Cuba and their missions from there.

The first problem I'm having is that I need a reason for the players to stick together. I want them to have some conflicting motives, but I want them to (just like Black Lagoons crew) mostly stay cohesive.

The second problem is that I'm having trouble coming up with missions. What would be some good 'jobs' for such a crew to do? I know I do want the group to go into the heart of the lost US to find out what happened at the end of the game, but how to get there is a bit difficult. They could hypothetically globe trot to see the world.

And third is mechanics. I'm still a bit unfamiliar with nWoD. I'd like to introduce some 'battle suit' encounters like Ripley's cargo mech fight during the climax of Aliens. However, I'm not sure if piloting such a suit would work well in nWoD. Additionally, if there are any books that might help with the themes (madness rules for instance) I'd be glad to hear about which books to check out.

Thank you for your time.

Mewtarthio
2013-11-21, 06:29 PM
The first problem I'm having is that I need a reason for the players to stick together. I want them to have some conflicting motives, but I want them to (just like Black Lagoons crew) mostly stay cohesive.

I'm reminded of a GURPS book that dealt with a similar topic. In the character creation rules, every PC had to take a 15-point Disadvantage representing whatever it was that kept them risking their lives day after day instead of living a normal life. There were plenty of options, running the gamut from "It's my job" to "I feel obligated to help people" to "The monsters know who I am and keep trying to kill me" to "I am under a bizarre curse, and supernatural incidents just seem to follow me around."

You could go with something similar here. Make everyone define a reason for fighting monsters together. They don't all have to have the same reason, but each PC should want to be in the group. If you're using GMC, you could even give each character a persistent Condition representing that motive.

If you're not using GMC, note that Hunter provides a very good reason for Cells to stick together: Tactics. Tactics can give your group considerable advantages, but they only work with the group you've drilled with.

The second problem is that I'm having trouble coming up with missions. What would be some good 'jobs' for such a crew to do? I know I do want the group to go into the heart of the lost US to find out what happened at the end of the game, but how to get there is a bit difficult. They could hypothetically globe trot to see the world.

They're hired guns. Have someone hire them.

And third is mechanics. I'm still a bit unfamiliar with nWoD. I'd like to introduce some 'battle suit' encounters like Ripley's cargo mech fight during the climax of Aliens. However, I'm not sure if piloting such a suit would work well in nWoD. Additionally, if there are any books that might help with the themes (madness rules for instance) I'd be glad to hear about which books to check out.

Can't help with the mech suit, I'm afraid. Madness rules are pretty much what GMC's Integrity is all about. Hunter: The Vigil is another obvious choice, since it's all about mortals fighting monsters, but the mechanics aren't compatible with GMC. You may still want to look at it for fluff inspiration, and you definitely want it if you're not using GMC.

TeddyKazooie
2013-11-25, 01:19 AM
Thank you Mewtarthio for responding! I had thought my topic would disappear into the ether. Sorry for not responding sooner.

Thank you for suggesting GMC. I haven't checked into it, but I forgot about its existence. I had heard about a kickstarter relating to it once. I had no idea it had anything to do with this concept. I'll certainly have to give it a look.

Also, that's a great idea for joining some character building with background. Some incentive for players to have reasons for maintaining the group is good, especially since, I hope, it's a positive cycle. Their reason for staying feeding into good character development which may earn them greater immaterial rewards. It might cut down a bit on the trust issue.

Though I suppose beneath the surface it is bribing to gain some party cohesion, but that's not a problem xD

They're hired guns. Have someone hire them.

I suppose I wasn't clear enough in what I meant. I was hoping this sort of concept would ignite some creativity in world building. A world without the United States where the surviving citizens fled to other countries? How does the political climate change? What happened to the armaments and personnel stationed in other countries?

Questions I asked myself in trying to determine just who would hire the character and for what. Would the Cuban government hire the party to acquire a nuclear device in the remains of the US? Would there be smugglers? Perhaps experiments performed by underground scientific communities that need specimens?

I'm trying to think of some over-arcing plot. Something akin to the group working for whoever can hire them and learning secrets about the bigger picture as time progresses. Not just fighting monsters, but also other humans as they fight pirates, government assassins, rival groups, and so on.