PDA

View Full Version : Spell Mastery or Weapon Finesse

RPGaddict28
2013-11-18, 04:02 PM
As the smartest person in our party, I figured, I need to be our Batman. The reason for this is, am I more likely to have no spells and spellbook, or not being able to cast magic.

Spell mastery seems a bit better, because then I could have utility spells, like feather fall, invisibility, some kind of blasting spell. Also, I have a +4 INT mod, but a +2 headband of intellect, would I learn 4 spells, or 5?

Big Fau
2013-11-18, 04:07 PM
Spell Mastery's benefits are static, but taking it allows you to take Uncanny Forethought (EoE) and become a better Sorcerer.

Carth
2013-11-18, 04:20 PM
Spell mastery becomes better if you can argue for it not being static (not an unreasonable thing to do), such that when your int modifier increases, you get an additional mastered spell. You don't see spell mastery show up in many builds unless it's as a pre req for uncanny forethought, but it is a great worst case scenario feat when paired with eschew materials. You'll generally always have access to somantic and verbal components even when you lose all your possessions, but if you throw in silent and still spell, and have access to 6th level spells, you can cast teleport and polymorph without a spellbook and with no components. Component free, bookless teleport and polymorph can basically only be countered by a prison that devotes a lot of resources to keeping you incapacitated.

jedipilot24
2013-11-18, 04:48 PM
Best advice for a Batman is, don't blast. Leave direct damage to everyone else; also, blast spells generally don't age well.
With Spell Mastery, you want spells that will always be useful and that are as generic as possible. So invisibility is good, because that never gets old; Featherfall is a situational spell and can be replaced with a ring, but it's still a decent choice if you're using that slot for other rings.

So if you've got a +5 mod, I would ideally go for the five spells you use most frequently, three of which should Invisibility, Fly, and your best teleportation spell. You also should try to have at least one spell to prepare at every level, even if it's just a lower-level spell.

RPGaddict28
2013-11-18, 04:53 PM
Best advice for a Batman is, don't blast. Leave direct damage to everyone else; also, blast spells generally don't age well.
With Spell Mastery, you want spells that will always be useful and that are as generic as possible. So invisibility is good, because that never gets old; Featherfall is a situational spell and can be replaced with a ring, but it's still a decent choice if you're using that slot for other rings.

So if you've got a +5 mod, I would ideally go for the five spells you use most frequently, three of which should Invisibility, Fly, and your best teleportation spell.

So, what you're saying is that my band stacks? Also, I'm assuming that if I don't have my spell book, I won't have any rings.

holywhippet
2013-11-18, 04:53 PM

So if you've got a +5 mod, I would ideally go for the five spells you use most frequently, three of which should Invisibility, Fly, and your best teleportation spell.

That being said, always have at least one direct damage spell handy. Some enemies just can't be dealt with using save or suck tricks. Ideally something that few enemies can resist like force or sonic based damage.