PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Gunslinger questions

Cofniben
2013-11-18, 04:37 PM
Alright, I'm currently playing in a pathfinder campaign, and my character has a good chance to die because I am playing him with not in the right mind frame because his wife and children are in danger. I've been thinking of making a gunslinger because it is different then the rest of the party, but I have some questions that need some clearing up.

In order to make a full attack, will quick draw be needed to grab more paper cartridges, or will only rapid reload work for it?

Secondly, does the Nimble class ability stack with the Dodge feat? I'd normally assume it wouldn't because they are both dodge bonuses, but Dodge is required for the feat Deft Shootist Deed, so I am wondering why they would use that unless they just assume that you will only take that if you are using the Mysterious Stranger or Gun Take variant.

Third, is it possible to load two guns as a free action, or is it that you require having a free hand open to reload. And if not, then to use the Pistolero Twin Shot Knockdown, did they allow using a second gun with one shot as part of a full attack from having a +6/+1 or higher attack or did Pathfinder not bring that over from 3.5?

Fourth, are the advanced firearms the same as exotic weapons, or is it more of a GM discrimination on what they want in the campaign?

Fifth, do metal cartridges reduce the loading of a weapon by one action as well like alchemic cartridges or would it still be a move action to load a revolver with Rapid Reload?

If i think of anything else I'll just make another post.

Snowbluff
2013-11-18, 04:41 PM
1) Rapid reload.

2) Dodge bonuses stack.

3) You have however many free actions as you want. To reload without a free hand, use weapons cords, or Gloves of Storing.

4) Advanced Firearms are up to the DM, and yes, they are exotic.

5) Yes, rapid reload would shorten the reload time.

Reliable weapons are handy until you get the ability to ignore misfires.

RndmNumGen
2013-11-18, 04:43 PM
Paper cartridges can be drawn as a free action(no need for quick draw), but you do need to get the actual action of reloading down to a free action as well if you wish to make a full attack. This is what Rapid Reload is good for.

Dodge bonuses to AC always stack, unlike most bonuses. Thus, Nimble and Dodge stack by default.

You must have a free hand to reload. You could employ shenanigans using weapon cords to fire one gun, reload it, shoot it again, drop it, pick up the second one as a swift action, shoot that one, reload it, and shoot it again, but... as I said, it's shenanigans. Technically it would work, but talk with your DM.

Advanced Firearms are NOT exotic weapons, they only require normal firearm proficiency to wield. However, the point of them being Advanced is that, like laser pistols and atomic bombs, they don't exist in most campaign settings. Once again, talk with your DM if he wants to allow them(by default, they are not allowed).

Metal cartridges reduce reloading in the same way paper ones do.

grarrrg
2013-11-18, 10:23 PM
You must have a free hand to reload. You could employ shenanigans using weapon cords to fire one gun, reload it, shoot it again, drop it, pick up the second one as a swift action, shoot that one, reload it, and shoot it again, but... as I said, it's shenanigans. Technically it would work, but talk with your DM.

Due to a recent FAQ (http://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1gg#v5748eaic9r9l), weapon cords are now worthless.
You now need another Arm/Limb capable of holding a weapon in order to make 2-gun fighting work.

Advanced Firearms are NOT exotic weapons, they only require normal firearm proficiency to wield. However, the point of them being Advanced is that, like laser pistols and atomic bombs, they don't exist in most campaign settings. Once again, talk with your DM if he wants to allow them(by default, they are not allowed).

Yes and no.
If "early Firearm" rules are in play, then ALL guns are Exotic.
If "commonplace" rules are in play, then ALL guns are Martial.
If "everywhere" rules are in play, then ALL guns are Simple.

What types of guns you have access to is entirely up to the DM.