PDA

View Full Version : Anti-Evil Build?

Gwazi Magnum
2013-11-18, 04:57 PM
Doesn't need to be a good character, hell the character could be evil.

I'm just wondering what people know of that you can get for characters that makes you more effective at fighting and slaying evil creatures.

You can interpret evil as either Outsider (Evil) or Evil Alignment in general.

Frosty
2013-11-18, 05:13 PM
Depending on how you're trying to kill evil, and the optimization level of the enemies, the Pathfinder Paladin does pretty well in the "kill them with HP damage" department.

Gwazi Magnum
2013-11-18, 05:29 PM
Depending on how you're trying to kill evil, and the optimization level of the enemies, the Pathfinder Paladin does pretty well in the "kill them with HP damage" department.

I'm looking for any technique/startegy people can think of.
But one that's themed around slaying creatures of evil, and isn't just an OP character who slays anything they see that easily.

StreamOfTheSky
2013-11-18, 07:28 PM
The Stalker of Kharash (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=5029.0) gets Favored Enemy (Evil) at 2nd level into the PrC, so you can optimize the hell out of favored enemy to maximize your benefit against all evil foes. The thread covers much of it.

Major aspects are the PrC dip itself, Improved Favored Enemy feat, Nemesis feat (more for the ability to auto-detect all evil at will, more than the damage boost), and Solitary Hunter variant ranger class (to apply FE bonus on attack and damage).

Red Fel
2013-11-18, 08:59 PM
You could start with a Paladin chassis. It's not ideal, but with feats and ACFs can become surprisingly effective. Alternatively - in fact, even better - use a Cleric with a Prestige Paladin dip.

I would recommend Fist of Raziel. It's the cornerstone of any solid evil-destroying melee. You get a batch of extra Smite Evils. You get various useful features that key off of your Smites, from any source, and these features stack. Your weapons deal extra damage to evil creatures, Evil Outsiders and Evil Undead, are treated as Good for DR purposes, and as a capstone this damage gets even bigger. Oh, and it gives 9/10 spell progression.

If you want to get away from spellcasting classes, Hellreaver is superb. You gain a resource called Holy Fury, which you can spend in combat to boost your damage against evil targets (like a Smite), heal yourself or others, boost your saving throws - in many ways, it's like a Paladin without the Paladin-brand. But it requires (and provides) no spellcasting, and the alignment restriction is "any good," not just LG. And here's a delicious bonus for you - its capstone lets you holy-splode an evil target, blinding any evil targets within 60 feet.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-11-18, 10:25 PM
This build (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=275093#5), but keep Smite Evil and trade your special mount for Charging Smite (PH2). Possibly also cut the Half-Orc Paragon levels back to a single level dip, to keep Intimidate as a class skill and keep the +4 bonus to it. Use the spell Rhino's Rush with Charging Smite and two-handed Power Attack plus Leap Attack with Shock Trooper. You'll still have plenty of utility to keep up when there's nothing to smite.

Dusk Eclipse
2013-11-18, 11:00 PM
I was going to suggest to do a combination of Stalker of Karash and fist of Raziel for FE+Smite goodness, using Prestige Ranger on a cleric base of course (and maybe adding SotAO >_>), but FoR and SoK are mutually exclusive...

In any case getting Nemesis is a pretty good idea.

ArqArturo
2013-11-18, 11:04 PM
The Inquisitor is a pretty much X-slayer, especially when he gets to add the Bane ability to his weapons.

Gwazi Magnum
2013-11-19, 01:04 AM
The Stalker of Kharash (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=5029.0) gets Favored Enemy (Evil) at 2nd level into the PrC, so you can optimize the hell out of favored enemy to maximize your benefit against all evil foes. The thread covers much of it.

Major aspects are the PrC dip itself, Improved Favored Enemy feat, Nemesis feat (more for the ability to auto-detect all evil at will, more than the damage boost), and Solitary Hunter variant ranger class (to apply FE bonus on attack and damage).

I like it... :)

So as long as it's alignment evil I get attack and damage bonuses to it?

You could start with a Paladin chassis. It's not ideal, but with feats and ACFs can become surprisingly effective. Alternatively - in fact, even better - use a Cleric with a Prestige Paladin dip.

I would recommend Fist of Raziel. It's the cornerstone of any solid evil-destroying melee. You get a batch of extra Smite Evils. You get various useful features that key off of your Smites, from any source, and these features stack. Your weapons deal extra damage to evil creatures, Evil Outsiders and Evil Undead, are treated as Good for DR purposes, and as a capstone this damage gets even bigger. Oh, and it gives 9/10 spell progression.

If you want to get away from spellcasting classes, Hellreaver is superb. You gain a resource called Holy Fury, which you can spend in combat to boost your damage against evil targets (like a Smite), heal yourself or others, boost your saving throws - in many ways, it's like a Paladin without the Paladin-brand. But it requires (and provides) no spellcasting, and the alignment restriction is "any good," not just LG. And here's a delicious bonus for you - its capstone lets you holy-splode an evil target, blinding any evil targets within 60 feet.

I like the idea of Smite Evil, a lot.
Though last time I ended up making a build around it too much, so right now I'm trying to find a good balance for it.

Hellreaver seems interesting, though I feel like the point pool there would run out too quickly.

This build (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=275093#5), but keep Smite Evil and trade your special mount for Charging Smite (PH2). Possibly also cut the Half-Orc Paragon levels back to a single level dip, to keep Intimidate as a class skill and keep the +4 bonus to it. Use the spell Rhino's Rush with Charging Smite and two-handed Power Attack plus Leap Attack with Shock Trooper. You'll still have plenty of utility to keep up when there's nothing to smite.

Basically a charger?
I main issue with these builds is it has far less to do if it can't charge for a number of reasons.

I was going to suggest to do a combination of Stalker of Karash and fist of Raziel for FE+Smite goodness, using Prestige Ranger on a cleric base of course (and maybe adding SotAO >_>), but FoR and SoK are mutually exclusive...

In any case getting Nemesis is a pretty good idea.

Chaos Shuffle :P

The Inquisitor is a pretty much X-slayer, especially when he gets to add the Bane ability to his weapons.

I looked at it, it looks like a skill monkey class. I don't see anything that focuses on evil slaying.

Zombulian
2013-11-19, 01:08 AM
Anti-Evil Build? We call that a Paladin.

In all seriousness, Hellreaver is an awesome PrC whether you're fighting evil outsiders or not, but when it is... it's even more awesome!

StreamOfTheSky
2013-11-19, 02:22 AM
I like it... :)

So as long as it's alignment evil I get attack and damage bonuses to it?

Yes. And you auto-detect creatures of evil alignment within 60 ft, even through solid barriers in the way, thanks to Nemesis. And all the other stuff that build applies favored enemy to.

Brookshw
2013-11-19, 06:50 AM
I've always been a sucker for knight of the chalice vs. evil outsiders, +4d6 isn't game breaking but its nice, especially it you're buffing your smites with a nice two handed power attack.

Grayson01
2013-11-19, 09:33 AM
I have not herd of the Hellreaver class where can I find it? And could you build it off of a Paladin?

Red Fel
2013-11-19, 09:41 AM
I have not herd of the Hellreaver class where can I find it? And could you build it off of a Paladin?

The Hellreaver is from Fiendish Codex II. It does not require a Paladin base, and in fact many of its abilities reproduce Paladin ones. But as a plus, its abilities (at least in theory) stack with those of a Paladin, as they do not explicitly state otherwise.

But frankly, you can build it off of just about anything. The requirements are quite generic. You only need: Alignment: Any good BAB +5 Power Attack Knowledge (the planes) 4 ranksAnd to have killed an evil Outsider at some point. Easy-peasy, lemon-squeezy.

It's a fun way for a non-Paladin to become Paladin-like without that annoying Code of Conduct, or for a Paladin to become really, really anti-evil Outsider.

Grayson01
2013-11-19, 10:25 AM
Awesp,e I have three builds in mind from a conceptual stand point.
Paladin of the Silver FLame 5/Hellreaver X
Hexblade5/Hellreaver x
and Warlock/hellreaver

Now how to build it....

The Hellreaver is from Fiendish Codex II. It does not require a Paladin base, and in fact many of its abilities reproduce Paladin ones. But as a plus, its abilities (at least in theory) stack with those of a Paladin, as they do not explicitly state otherwise.

But frankly, you can build it off of just about anything. The requirements are quite generic. You only need: Alignment: Any good BAB +5 Power Attack Knowledge (the planes) 4 ranksAnd to have killed an evil Outsider at some point. Easy-peasy, lemon-squeezy.

It's a fun way for a non-Paladin to become Paladin-like without that annoying Code of Conduct, or for a Paladin to become really, really anti-evil Outsider.

ImaDeadMan
2013-11-19, 11:44 AM
Awesp,e I have three builds in mind from a conceptual stand point.
Paladin of the Silver FLame 5/Hellreaver X
Hexblade5/Hellreaver x
and Warlock/hellreaver

Now how to build it....

You could start with 5 levels of paladin and take ACF for charging smite for that extra anti-evil damage. If you're ok with being human then your feat list could look like this:
Human - Weapon Focus (Whatever weapon you want)
1st - Sanctify Martial Strike
3rd - Power Attack

Then enter Hellreaver and go to town once you grab yourself an Evil Outsider Bane weapon. You could also go the first 5 levels as a ranger to get favored enemy bonuses against evil outsiders and still have the full BAB. Only problem is that you lose smite.

Red Fel
2013-11-19, 11:56 AM
If you want to take your Hellreaver for a unique turn, consider taking a Binder dip for the Naberius vestige. When bound, Naberius allows you to recover ability damage, which lets you really crank up the Hellreaver antics. Naberius recovers ability damage every round, so if you use Heroic Sacrifice and take 2 Con damage, you've fully recovered in two rounds.

It also adds an interesting flavor. Naberius is closely associated with another three-headed dog known for guarding the gates to a bad place. Perhaps you fluff this as acting as sort of the Gatekeeper of the Hells - you pact with this being to ensure that things that are supposed to wind up there get send there.

By you.

With violence.

Metahuman1
2013-11-19, 12:33 PM
Good DMM: Persist cleric with a Dip into PrC paladin for Detect evil SLA and pally spells and a refluffed good aligned RKV continuation. Then take the anti evil devoted spirit maneuvers.

Zombulian
2013-11-19, 12:36 PM
Strongarm Ranger = Track, Power Attack, Endurance for free. Maybe pick up the ACF's that get rid of spellcasting/animal companion for extra feats and then head into Hellreaver.
Maybe go Mystic Ranger.

ArqArturo
2013-11-19, 12:44 PM
I looked at it, it looks like a skill monkey class. I don't see anything that focuses on evil slaying.

Well, there's Bane, Judgement, the Favored Judgement feat, and while those are not specific for just evil, they're flexible enough to turn the Inquisitor into a destroyer of evil.

Not even mentioning the Spell-killer archetype.

Red Fel
2013-11-19, 12:47 PM
Good DMM: Persist cleric with a Dip into PrC paladin for Detect evil SLA and pally spells and a refluffed good aligned RKV continuation. Then take the anti evil devoted spirit maneuvers.

Anti-evil Devoted Spirit maneuvers? Uh...

Well, there's Aura of Triumph, a stance that lets you and a nearby (10 feet) ally heal 4 HP whenever either hits an evil target. But considering that's a 6th-level stance, and at 1st-level you could have gotten Martial Spirit (any ally within 30 feet, yourself included, heals 2 HP anytime you make a melee attack) which has a similar effect, that doesn't say much.

There's Castigating Strike, the one that creates a massive blast if you strike an enemy with at least one different alignment component. That's not anti-evil per se, but it's similar. Unfortunately, it's a Fort save based on your Cha score, and that may not gain a lot of traction.

There's Crusader's Strike, which, when it hits an enemy with a different alignment component, heals you or an ally within 10 feet by 1d6+IL (max 5). Again, not specifically anti-evil. This one also kind of embarrasses Aura of Triumph.

Aha! There's Radiant Charge, which deals an extra 6d6 to an evil enemy on a charge, and grants you DR 10/-- until your next turn.

... And that's actually it. Devoted Spirit doesn't have that extensive a library to begin with; maneuvers with a specific (Good) tag on them can be counted on one hand, and despite being Good, not all of them are that, well, good.

Metahuman1
2013-11-19, 04:39 PM

Well, there's Aura of Triumph, a stance that lets you and a nearby (10 feet) ally heal 4 HP whenever either hits an evil target. But considering that's a 6th-level stance, and at 1st-level you could have gotten Martial Spirit (any ally within 30 feet, yourself included, heals 2 HP anytime you make a melee attack) which has a similar effect, that doesn't say much.

There's Castigating Strike, the one that creates a massive blast if you strike an enemy with at least one different alignment component. That's not anti-evil per se, but it's similar. Unfortunately, it's a Fort save based on your Cha score, and that may not gain a lot of traction.

There's Crusader's Strike, which, when it hits an enemy with a different alignment component, heals you or an ally within 10 feet by 1d6+IL (max 5). Again, not specifically anti-evil. This one also kind of embarrasses Aura of Triumph.

Aha! There's Radiant Charge, which deals an extra 6d6 to an evil enemy on a charge, and grants you DR 10/-- until your next turn.

... And that's actually it. Devoted Spirit doesn't have that extensive a library to begin with; maneuvers with a specific (Good) tag on them can be counted on one hand, and despite being Good, not all of them are that, well, good.

Good, Cherry pick a couple of the better one's and always ready them, and then just pick the rest as you fancy. Makes them easy to work into the build.

And don't forget there's also cleric with thinks like persisted protection from/Magic Circle against Evil, or other things like Holy smite, Holy Word, ext, and I seem to recall devoted spirit's capstone maneuver involved alignment as well.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-11-19, 05:57 PM
Basically a charger?
I main issue with these builds is it has far less to do if it can't charge for a number of reasons.

It's a fear build, that can also charge for huge hits, and can also counterspell like nobody's business. It doesn't rely on charging to be effective, but when it gets to charge it kills something evil in a single hit.

Cofniben
2013-11-19, 09:32 PM
I once built a Cleric/Monk with Sacred Vow, Vow of Non-Violence, Vow of Peace ext, to the point where he would use his stronger unarmed strike only as non-lethal damage and just pummel everything into submission. Sadly I didn't get to play this character too much.

In a pathfinder game, I did play a Inquisitor who used a mace and took the Bludgeoner feat because he believed he didn't have the right to judge anyone, he was basically the bailiff who would only bring the evil doers to the courts. The only time before he died he did lethal damage was against a skeleton because it was undead and doesn't need to be brought to a court of law.

Those are the only anti-evil characters I've made. I mean it's a bit different from them just being anti-evil in the sense that they never killed, but more in they tried their best to be as far from the evil axis on the alignment chart as possible.

Gwazi Magnum
2013-11-20, 02:15 AM
If you want to take your Hellreaver for a unique turn, consider taking a Binder dip for the Naberius vestige. When bound, Naberius allows you to recover ability damage, which lets you really crank up the Hellreaver antics. Naberius recovers ability damage every round, so if you use Heroic Sacrifice and take 2 Con damage, you've fully recovered in two rounds.

It also adds an interesting flavor. Naberius is closely associated with another three-headed dog known for guarding the gates to a bad place. Perhaps you fluff this as acting as sort of the Gatekeeper of the Hells - you pact with this being to ensure that things that are supposed to wind up there get send there.

By you.

With violence.

Maybe, though honestly the mechanics of that class didn't draw me in too much to begin with.

Strongarm Ranger = Track, Power Attack, Endurance for free. Maybe pick up the ACF's that get rid of spellcasting/animal companion for extra feats and then head into Hellreaver.
Maybe go Mystic Ranger.

Where can I find/look at the Strongarm Variant?

Well, there's Bane, Judgement, the Favored Judgement feat, and while those are not specific for just evil, they're flexible enough to turn the Inquisitor into a destroyer of evil.

Not even mentioning the Spell-killer archetype.

I don't think we're looking at the same class.
Neither of the ones I'm looking at have Judgement as an ability :/

He's more focused on slaying evil than healing allies.

As for the charge, maybe.
I just don't want to make a charge dependent character and then only be able to charge once per encounter if I'm lucky.

It's a fear build, that can also charge for huge hits, and can also counterspell like nobody's business. It doesn't rely on charging to be effective, but when it gets to charge it kills something evil in a single hit.

Sorry but I have some trouble following the build the way it was laid out.
How is it a fear build?

I once built a Cleric/Monk with Sacred Vow, Vow of Non-Violence, Vow of Peace ext, to the point where he would use his stronger unarmed strike only as non-lethal damage and just pummel everything into submission. Sadly I didn't get to play this character too much.

In a pathfinder game, I did play a Inquisitor who used a mace and took the Bludgeoner feat because he believed he didn't have the right to judge anyone, he was basically the bailiff who would only bring the evil doers to the courts. The only time before he died he did lethal damage was against a skeleton because it was undead and doesn't need to be brought to a court of law.

Those are the only anti-evil characters I've made. I mean it's a bit different from them just being anti-evil in the sense that they never killed, but more in they tried their best to be as far from the evil axis on the alignment chart as possible.

Interesting. :P

Though be honest mine is less "I am a good and exalted and evil will perish". But more a Gray Warden approach of "The blight of evil must be extinguished by any means necessary".

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-11-20, 06:59 AM
Sorry but I have some trouble following the build the way it was laid out.
How is it a fear build?

It uses Inspire Awe from Dragon Magic, which makes opponents shaken. He has the feat Dreadful Wrath, which gives him an automatic frightful presence whenever he attacks, charges, or casts a spell, including the many swift-action Paladin spells. It has max ranks in Intimidate with huge bonuses to it, plus Fearsome armor which allows it to intimidate as a move action instead of a standard action, plus Imperious Command so intimidated opponents cower for a round and then are shaken (or have their existing fear condition escalated one step) on the following round. On top of that he has the Never Outnumbered skill trick, allowing him to intimidate all opponents within ten feat once per encounter, and they all cower for a round and get shaken on the next round.

I made sure to include a summary of what he can do at the end of the build. Also note he has a Keen Kaorti Resin Falchion, which gets a 15-20/x4 threat/crit.

Zombulian
2013-11-20, 09:20 AM
Strongarm is apparently from Dragon #326

Gwazi Magnum
2013-11-20, 04:43 PM
It uses Inspire Awe from Dragon Magic, which makes opponents shaken. He has the feat Dreadful Wrath, which gives him an automatic frightful presence whenever he attacks, charges, or casts a spell, including the many swift-action Paladin spells. It has max ranks in Intimidate with huge bonuses to it, plus Fearsome armor which allows it to intimidate as a move action instead of a standard action, plus Imperious Command so intimidated opponents cower for a round and then are shaken (or have their existing fear condition escalated one step) on the following round. On top of that he has the Never Outnumbered skill trick, allowing him to intimidate all opponents within ten feat once per encounter, and they all cower for a round and get shaken on the next round.

I made sure to include a summary of what he can do at the end of the build. Also note he has a Keen Kaorti Resin Falchion, which gets a 15-20/x4 threat/crit.

So basically he keeps foes still for several rounds?
Could be useful.

As for the weapon, that's just amazing... I want that weapon... O_O

Strongarm is apparently from Dragon #326

Dusk Eclipse
2013-11-20, 04:56 PM
Inquisitor is a base class from PF, pretty cool from what I'v heard.

ArqArturo
2013-11-20, 05:25 PM
I don't think we're looking at the same class.
Neither of the ones I'm looking at have Judgement as an ability :/

Oh... Are you talking about the 3.5 PrC? I was sort of talking about the PF class :(.