PDA

View Full Version : Next Book...

Jack Mann
2007-01-11, 01:13 AM
I'm currently DMing a game. I've got a few books, and I'm thinking about picking up another one. Right now, I have Complete Mage, Arcane, Divine, and Warrior, PBH II, and Tome of Battle.

Now, I may pick up adventurer, but I don't really have anyone playing a rogue type. I thought about one of the Races books, but I think I can probably just leave that to interested players to pick up. What books would you suggest I get?

ExHunterEmerald
2007-01-11, 01:31 AM
Complete Adventurer is a pretty solid pick. I'd go with that.

Leon
2007-01-11, 01:33 AM
Complete Scoundrel shuld be out soon and Spell compendium is a Bumper Fun book to own
Plus Stormwrack - everyone should own Stormwrack

pestilenceawaits
2007-01-11, 09:57 AM
Adventurer is pretty good I just bought stormwrack and frostburn they seem to be pretty cool also.

Ambrogino
2007-01-11, 10:00 AM
Eberron Campaign Setting, if I'd reccomend any one single D&D book. But Adventurer's the strongest of the Complete series IMO, and the Races of were weak so I'd steer clear of those. XPH is also very good, and I didn't see that listed.

Renegade Paladin
2007-01-11, 10:12 AM
Complete Adventurer is easily the most fun of the Complete series, but Spell Compendium is made of win and awesome. If it's to be just one, I'm not sure which to recommend.

Person_Man
2007-01-11, 10:18 AM
If its a high level adventure, then I'm a big fan of the Draconomicon. Adds a lot to D&D's title enemy. A good amount of fluff, a mini Monster Manual of new dragons, dragon lairs, plus a few useful prestige classes, feats, spells, and magic items. I've found it very helpful, and I've taken some of the stuff in it and dropped it directly into my campaign - but again, I only suggest it if you're running a high power campaign where PC's can deal with uber enemies.

I think that most of the Races books were weak.

The Complete books are helpful if you happen to be a PC of that type.

Book of 9 Swords is a must have if you want to be a powerful melee build in D&D anymore.

Spell Compedium is a must have for spellcasters in a high powered game, who can't afford to buy a dozen other books.

Renegade Paladin
2007-01-11, 10:24 AM
Draconomicon is pure sweetness as well, but it's too much of a niche for me to recommend without knowing more about your game. For the record, though, after getting it I just used it as reading material and was happy, even without using it.

reorith
2007-01-11, 11:06 AM
i second stormwrack. unlike the other setting books (sandstorm + the like) it is probably the easiest to incorporate into any campaign.

The_Werebear
2007-01-11, 11:22 AM
You said you didn't have any rogue types, give Complete Scoundrel a skip and go for Complete adventurer. It has tons and tons of fun stuff.

If you have a bunch of casters, Spell Compendium might be a good pick too.

tape_measure
2007-01-11, 11:48 AM
There's also Dragon Magic for the spellcasters. It's a little different feel for magic, but it has pretty interesting ideas in it.

Other than that, I'd usggest the Com. Adventurers as well. Maybe even starting on the Races of... series.

Fax Celestis
2007-01-11, 12:06 PM
Tome of Magic. So much fun is to be had with that book.

codexgigas
2007-01-11, 12:42 PM
Spell Compendium is a solid choice. Even if you happen to have most of the books that it pulls from, it's so much more convenient to have them all in one place (especially if you aren't playing at your own house; I'd much rather just bring one book instead of six of seven). I can't say anything about Complete Adventurer; it's one of the two Completes I lack (the other is Psionics), but I've never been all that impressed by what I've seen from it, personally. As a DM, you might want to pick up one of the more DM-oriented books, such as Libris Mortis or one of the Fiendish Codexes; I love using undead in my campaigns, so LM has been invaluable for me. While I don't have either of the Fiendish Codexes, I assume they're more or less the same, and would be worth purchasing if you're running a fiend or devil heavy campaign.