PDA

View Full Version : Question about favored class Sorcerer ability

Zeromage1
2013-11-18, 05:45 PM
In Pathfinder, the Human favored class ability for sorcerers says:

Sorcerer: Add one spell known from the sorcerer spell list. This spell must be at least one level below the highest spell level the sorcerer can cast.

When do you do this, and how often?

holywhippet
2013-11-18, 05:52 PM
Whenever you level up in that class and whenever you want. It is an option though and a trade off as you lose a bonus that race would normally get on levelling up. For a sorcerer it would probably be only worthwhile on level 4 onwards as otherwise you are just using it to buy cantrips.

Thrair
2013-11-18, 06:11 PM
Extra Cantrips (which is utter crap) costs you a feat for two cantrips. Just sayin'.

If you want more than 6 cantrips, it's not strange of you to sacrifice a couple hitpoint/skill points favoured class abilities, especially as there's a lot of useful cantrips. It won't be optimized for most combat, but there's a LOT of uses for the lesser-picked cantrips, and unlike a Wizard, you don't have to prepare em.

As Holywhippet said, you can trade it off whenever you like. Though I about guarantee you that, for a Sorcerer, one more spell known is going to trump a single hit-point or skill-point in almost any case. Flexibility's the name of the game, most of the time.

Zeromage1
2013-11-18, 06:21 PM
So when I level up to level four, I can take an extra 1st level spell, but I get no extra skill rank as a human with a sorcerer favored class? Is that correct? Thanks for answering my questions so fast, guys. I really appreciate it.

Naomi Li
2013-11-18, 06:29 PM
You still get 2 skill points for the class, the skill points for your intelligence modifier, and your 1 skill point for the skilled racial trait (assuming you didn't trade it in for something) if you take the extra spell. The only opportunity cost is the standard favoured class options of "+1 hit point" or "+1 skill rank".

Pex
2013-11-18, 06:35 PM
You want to do it.

You just do.

Don't doubt it.

Just do.

:smallbiggrin: