PDA

View Full Version : LV8 Druid needs new companion

Stygofthedump
2013-11-18, 06:32 PM
Now trapped in elemental plane of air. If I can find a safe place to rest, what animal companion could I get. Any? DM discretion? Maybe an arrow hawk?
I like tiger but a weaker (lets not power up the druid) more interesting animal would be cool. any suggestions I could run past DM?

holywhippet
2013-11-18, 06:35 PM
Any chance your DM will let you grab the elemental companion ACF from complete mage at this point in the game. It would make more sense to acquire an air elemenal given where you are.

Stygofthedump
2013-11-18, 07:17 PM
Any chance your DM will let you grab the elemental companion ACF from complete mage at this point in the game. It would make more sense to acquire an air elemenal given where you are.

We are core only but I'll definitely ask. Thanks

cojiro7
2013-11-18, 07:29 PM
Bummer about Core-Only, I'm partial to the Dire Eagle from Races of stone (with only a -3 to effective druid level bonuses). High strength and dexterity, makes for a stellar mount, and might make some degree of sense to be found on the Air Elemental plane.

Give it feats to improve its flight speed and/or maneuverability, or deal extra damage on a diving charge. (Even without a feat, it can make a talon attack with 10' reach on a dive to deal double normal damage, and since it comes with flyby attack, can continue to move after its attack and likely not provoke AoO).

Stygofthedump
2013-11-18, 08:30 PM
Core game but DM might be convinced if its not over powered and logical.

cojiro7
2013-11-18, 11:43 PM
I'd say it's powerful, but not overpowered like many other shenanigans one could get into, and as far as you being on an Air plane and it being a bird, it's at least more logical than a dinosaur or magebred-whatever. Probably less logical than holywhippet's suggestion of an air elemental, though.

p186 of Races of Stone if you or he has access to it.

Shrikethrush
2013-11-19, 08:17 PM
Heh, no more powerful than Natural Spell.

macdaddy
2013-11-20, 04:50 PM
Fleshraker is generally the best (MM3).
If you cannot take that, its basically Bear or Cat.

Animal companions are usually taught one of two tricks. Either they grapple (Bears and dinosaurs) or they pounce (lions, tigers, and fleshrakers).

checkout another post on this site:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202826