PDA

View Full Version : Thri Kreen seems to be worth the HD and LA

CyberThread
2013-11-19, 01:01 AM
I know this has been debated, this just seem to fly under my own personal radar, that monstrous humanoids get full bab, instead of the usual medium bab.

I am going to use the +1 La variant here, as well... psionics is nasty anyways :P

Bite attack(poision once a day)
Leap +30 jump
4 limbs
Decent stats for non arcane casters, great for melee
+3 nat armor
decent saves
deflect arrows ( meh?) bonus feat]]
prof in exotic weapons for certain builds, but the weapons are pretty meh.

So I know others may have noticed this, I was just sort of shocked, and wanted to admit, I missed something :P

geonova
2013-11-19, 04:32 AM
Thri-Kreen is pretty decent IMO, especially if you take spirit-lion totem barbarian so that you can use pounce to capitalize on those full-attacks.

Fouredged Sword
2013-11-19, 09:15 AM
With warblade and LA buyoff, they make for a great mobile melee fighter.

ImaDeadMan
2013-11-19, 11:51 AM
I agree. Thri-Kreen are fantastic melee combatants, even if you can't take a couple class levels due to RHD. They could dual wield two-handed weapons since they have 4 arms and can then become quite efficient in clearing both single targets and large groups just by sheer damage output. Warblade isn't too bad of a choice for them but since they take a racial penalty to int, they lose out on some class features of the warblade. I would go a different route.

Another build that makes them great is the multi-weapon fighting tree. Grab 4 different weapons and grab multi-weapon fighting since it's a racial bonus feat and go to town slashing an enemy with 4 swords.

Fax Celestis
2013-11-19, 11:56 AM
Their +30 racial bonus to jump makes them excellent Tiger Claw swordsages.

My biggest issue with thri-kreen is a fluff one: their maximum lifespan is 30 years.

My other issue is that there's a complete dearth of racial feats and racial sub levels (I mean, come on, thri-kreen totemist, thri-kreen monk, thri-kreen barbarian are all begging to happen)_. Yes, there's four feats in CPsi, but they're absolutely terrible.

mangosta71
2013-11-19, 12:14 PM
If your DM allows this monk fix (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=227023), thri-kreen is an insane monk. Grab a pair of tiger claw bracers for leaping dragon stance and you're autosucceeding on that 51+ jump check by the time you reach monk 2. From a standing start.

Pluto!
2013-11-19, 12:18 PM
I don't think they're bad, especially with the non-Psionic Thri-Kreen in Monster Manual 2, for lower LA in the cases where those tricks just aren't relevant.

As mentioned, they get along well with incarnum, tiger claw maneuvers and sneak attack dice.

Demonikus Aber
2013-11-20, 10:38 AM
I've played a few Thri-Kreen and I find that the best mix is a ninja, wielding either four scimitars for a nice crit range with four attacks. Or wielding two spiked chains for optimizeable reach.

Use it if you want it

danzibr
2013-11-20, 10:50 AM
Their +30 racial bonus to jump makes them excellent Tiger Claw swordsages.

My biggest issue with thri-kreen is a fluff one: their maximum lifespan is 30 years.

My other issue is that there's a complete dearth of racial feats and racial sub levels (I mean, come on, thri-kreen totemist, thri-kreen monk, thri-kreen barbarian are all begging to happen)_. Yes, there's four feats in CPsi, but they're absolutely terrible.
Obad-Blessed Thri-Kreen Totemist with Girallon Arms bound to Totem->10 claw attacks. Boo ya.