PDA

View Full Version : Optimization is key! Or so they say...

MirthTheBard
2013-11-19, 01:35 AM
Hello Playground! Mirth here yet again asking the questions that most people know.

I've been playing D&D for a few years now, and over the past two years or so I have been frequenting this website to try to learn more about the game.

I come here today with questions about optimization. Some of these I already have answers for and just want cleared up.

1. Does optimization always aim for later levels?

2. Does optimization play a big role in earlier levels?

I appreciate all and any answers/opinions/takes on it, and if you feel there's anything else worth saying on the topic please do!!

eggynack
2013-11-19, 01:39 AM
Builds that are presented online are usually done in 20 level fashion, but that's just to show the whole progression. A really strong optimized build is playable from 1-20, and has as even and smooth a progression as possible. Optimization exists no matter where you are, or what you're doing, even if you're not aware of the fact that it's occurring. If your character is first level, then you optimize it, and when it levels to 20, you continue to do so. Optimization isn't all theoretical, in other words.

ArcturusV
2013-11-19, 01:51 AM
Basically...

1: No. It's a mark of poor optimization in general if you can't 'get it working' until a certain point. Whether that is an issue or not in game depends on how other players feel like carrying you, or if you're just starting the game beyond that point already. But that's not the whole of it. I mean... Optimization usually FOCUSES on the higher levels... because that's where things get dicey. I mean few people plan out a character saying "I want to be the most kick ass combatant at level 1!", but they're planning their eventual ascensions, kick Thor square in the nuts level power. So they look towards that point and plan accordingly.

2: Kind of. It's tricky. At lower levels the factors that really impact play is: Tactics>Optimization=Luck. This is why most people I think say they don't like Low levels, because Luck is more or less equal to optimization. When you roll a d20 to hit, and best case scenario you might have something like +3/4 armor (after subtracting the enemy's bonuses to hit), that d20 is as much of a factor in who hits or not as your build and how you spent your wealth. Well... kinda. It's equatable. There's people who succeed at low levels by the strength of luck "Whew, everyone failed the save versus my sleep spell!" and those who succeed by virtue of optimization "YES! My grease spell just disarmed and proned that ogre!" but it's fickle and can go either way. To be honest it's Tactics that carry the day, being able to be careful, think clearly, not recklessly engage and count on Luck or Optimization to save you. If you play smart that's the greatest power at level 1.

Not saying you shouldn't optimize at low levels. You should. Even if Tactics is responsible for something like 60% of your success? Why toss away 20% of it and rely on just Tactics and Luck? Course properly optimizing gives you more options at low level as well. That wizard at level 1 who's rocking Silent Image has a lot more tactical options than the one who is using Magic Missile. Same with the Cleric who has Detect Evil over Cure Light Wounds (Knowledge is power!).