PDA

View Full Version : Constructs (pathfinder)

Yogibear41
2013-11-19, 02:29 AM
Are constructs in pathfinder not immune to critical hits and sneak attacks? I was reading through the Automata book from the Rhune setting and noticed it said nothing about critical hits and sneak attacks for the player character construct races, so I looked it up on the pathfinder srd

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/constructs

seems to say nothing about critical hits and/or sneak attacks. So is this something that got changed from 3.5 to pathfinder?

Bhaakon
2013-11-19, 02:51 AM
You can indeed crit and sneak attack constructs in Pathfinder. Undead as well. Cutting the number of creature types immune to critical hits and precision damage was one of the changes between 3.5 and Pathfinder.

BWR
2013-11-19, 03:24 AM
Only creatures without a discernable anatomy and design are immune to sneaks and crits now: oozes, incorporeals and elementals.

The rationale being, quite rightly imo, that even if stabbing a zombie in the guts won't stop it, bashing in its head or chopping off the legs will hamper it. Likewise, a construct does have weak points at the joints and mobile plants have muscle equivalents and other organs.

Psyren
2013-11-19, 10:12 AM
Note that many constructs have or can get fortification to help with this. But it does make sense that a rogue can spot a structural or design flaw to exploit in an underhanded way.

Crustypeanut
2013-11-19, 01:04 PM
And then you have things with fairly obvious weakpoints, like Clockwork constructs.

Big crystal glass ball for a head? Yeaaaah I'd aim for that. :P

Frosty
2013-11-19, 02:31 PM
One of the stealth buffs to rogues to balance out the stealth nerfs (thrown splash weapons, Grease, etc)