PDA

View Full Version : Double Pun Bonus

Kornaki
2013-11-19, 11:32 AM
It occurs to me that the fly in the face of tradition line is a double pun/metaphor... on the one hand he's flying in the face of Tarquin, so that one is easy to spot, but Tarquin is also a lawful character whose whole schtick is that stories about heroes must follow a traditional narrative structure... Tarquin's character literally represents tradition in storytelling, and Julio Scoundrel is flying in his face both literally and metaphorically by showing up at this point in the story.

Mechanically, he probably gets to add his charisma twice on that attack :smalltongue:

Are there other examples of puns being more effective when they can be interpreted at a deeper level?

Oryutzen
2013-11-19, 06:25 PM
Well, not yet, mostly because Elan's been the main punner, and he doesn't have that much practice with it. I do expect more, though. Even if Julio dies quickly, Elan could learn something by watching.

The Pilgrim
2013-11-19, 06:37 PM
I suppose disarming Tarquin already counts as a bonus effect. :smalltongue:

Trillium
2013-11-20, 04:24 AM
I suppose disarming Tarquin already counts as a bonus effect. :smalltongue:

You can say it was a disarming pun =)

The Pilgrim
2013-11-20, 06:23 AM
You can say it was a disarming pun =)

Ba-dum Tshhh! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcYppAs6ZdI)

johnbragg
2013-11-20, 06:29 AM
Mechanically, he probably gets to add his charisma twice on that attack :smalltongue:

I think that mechanically, he rolled a crit, and is using some fhomebrewed Critical Hits Results table, or perhaps a feat/class feature to turn crits into disarms/trips/etc.

Oryutzen
2013-11-20, 06:47 AM
Hm, this got me wondering if the hypothetical DM would grant a crit, or at least increased crit range, to reward a really good pun.

"If the game needs to be paused until all the players and the DM stop laughing, the Dashing Swordsman may treat her attack roll as a natural 20".

Depending on the player, that may be horribly broken, but it'd make the sessions pretty enjoyable for the players if that was the case.

Jay R
2013-11-20, 12:07 PM
Hm, this got me wondering if the hypothetical DM would grant a crit, or at least increased crit range, to reward a really good pun.

"If the game needs to be paused until all the players and the DM stop laughing, the Dashing Swordsman may treat her attack roll as a natural 20".

Depending on the player, that may be horribly broken, but it'd make the sessions pretty enjoyable for the players if that was the case.

From the rules of Toon:

Any player who reduces the Animator to helpless laughter gets a Plot Point.