PDA

View Full Version : Appropriate Flaws for Druid

M@XIM
2013-11-19, 12:23 PM
So, despite being a good ways into the game already, our DM is allowing us flaws and extra feats. Sounds like a bad decision, but I'm not going to miss an opportunity to make my Druid even more OP >_>

I'm level 6 and want to take two flaws and get two additional feats. The only feat I'm using currently that I can think of (left character sheet elsewhere) is Natural Spell. I spend most of my time as a Bat and cast spells (no melee). I have access to about everything. What are some good flaw and feat combos?

Phelix-Mu
2013-11-19, 12:57 PM
Is Dragon Magazine on the table? If so, then you can't go far wrong with Free Spirited (halves carrying capacity...all your gear disappears while wild shaped), and Bestial Instinct, which gives you a penalty to melee done with weapons other than natural weapons (which sounds like it never happens anyway). This may be a problem if the DM rules that your flaw has to have an impact.

I always liked to at least pick up Fast Wild Shape if I was floating in feats. Not hugely useful, but emergencies that happen without your main shtick in effect are bad.

Eagle's Wings is the only Wild Feat I ever found useful. Put wings on a dire tortoise. On the other hand...spells. Dragon Shape from Draconomicon obviously has its uses.

The best of the bunch of druid feats all pretty much buff the summoning.

sleepyphoenixx
2013-11-19, 01:35 PM
Dragon Wild Shape is pretty useful, at least if you can access all the nifty dragons from non-core sources. If you're restricted to core-only dragons i wouldn't bother.
There isn't really anything besides Natural Spell that a druid actually needs though.

If you don't know what to take Craft Wondrous Item is generally useful unless your DM doesn't allow you the time to craft.
Inscribe Rune is pretty much a better version of Scribe Scroll since it only takes 10 minutes to craft one.
Extend and Quicken Spell are useful no matter what.

For flaws, most of them are fair game. Don't take the ones that lower HP or Initiative, the others drawbacks can be overcome fairly easily.

SouthpawSoldier
2013-11-19, 01:49 PM
I'm sorry, but when I think "Druid" and "flaws", I get "Body Odor"; hippies and their patchouli oil comes to mind. Treat it as a minor CHA penalty when dealing with certain creatures or environments (civilized humanoids) and maybe a penalty to avoid being tracked?

Instead of just being a metagame buyoff, now it provides fluff; I can imagine all kinds of shenanigans that can come from a party member smelling like Posideon's salty butthole. Flaws should be treated like Pathfinder Traits; part of what makes your character unique.

M@XIM
2013-11-19, 02:47 PM
Great ideas,

I would really like to take DragonWildShape, but I'm unable to as my Wisdom is currently 17 or 18 and It needs to be 19. I've been trying to buy a periapt of wisdom, but our current location in the game isn't capable of selling me such a thing. Aside from temp buffs, I think that is the only thing I can do to get my Wisdom up without leveling right now.

eggynack
2013-11-19, 02:55 PM
You can't pick up dragon wild shape until level 12 anyway, because of the skill prerequisites, so don't worry about that. I'd just pick up some summoning stuff. Maybe ashbound, augment, rashemi elemental, or greenbound summoning, depending on your mood. Extend spell is always fun, what with all the long duration buffs you have. Natural bond and companion spellbond are also great, if you like buffing your animal companion.

Vortenger
2013-11-19, 04:20 PM
The Divine Gestures flaw gives you arcane spell failure chance. Wild Shape subsumes your armor. Wild armor goes away and still grants you its AC. No real chance of failure sounds like a decent trade...

bekeleven
2013-11-19, 06:18 PM
Go aberrant blood (Feat that gives you +2 to grapple or some minor skill boosts - take grapple) then take aberration wild shape. There are a ton of good aberration wild shape forms, especially if you like loads and loads of natural attacks Try Harpoon Spider (MM3) for the ability to shoot fangs at people to get them into melee, Rukanyr (FF) for 10 natural attacks, some with poison, Darktentacles (MM2) for 12 natural attacks, or the ability to wield 12 huge one-handed weapons at a time. Maybe Grell (MM2) for 10 tentacles, each of which forces a save Vs. paralysis.

Maginomicon
2013-11-19, 06:43 PM
Realize that there's an entire article in Dragon Magazine #324 page 93 called "Flaws for Druids". You aren't limited to them depending on whether you're a druid, but of the ~103 flaws out there they make the most thematic sense for a druid.

Fax Celestis
2013-11-19, 07:01 PM
Ask if you can take Chicken-Infested, and fluff it as the Disney (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FriendToAllLivingThings) Princess (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DisneyCreaturesOfTheFarce) Effect.