PDA

View Full Version : what prcs could a commoner qualify for?

CyberThread
2013-11-19, 01:58 PM
What prc could a commner actually qualify for?

Frosty
2013-11-19, 01:59 PM
Survivor is built for them I think?

Devronq
2013-11-19, 02:04 PM
Well anyone of them that doesn't require a class feature or spell casting. Lots of martial ones only require bab skills and feats which the commoner will eventually qualify for.

Chronos
2013-11-19, 04:17 PM
Survivor wasn't actually intended for commoners-- It's intended for monstrous creatures that, due to LA, have very low saves. It's just a quirk of the way the requirements were written that commoners happen to qualify for the class right away.

ArqArturo
2013-11-19, 04:57 PM
Apostle of Peace, maybe?.

prufock
2013-11-19, 05:05 PM
Pretty much anything. There are ways to gain class features, spellcasting, etc without levels in the actual classes. There are some that would be difficult to do, and probably a few that would be impossible, but for the most part I would say you can finagle your way into meeting the entry requirements.

Devronq
2013-11-19, 08:49 PM
Pretty much anything. There are ways to gain class features, spellcasting, etc without levels in the actual classes. There are some that would be difficult to do, and probably a few that would be impossible, but for the most part I would say you can finagle your way into meeting the entry requirements.

when i first read your user name i read the U and the O in opposite places and im like wow howd he get away with that as a name :smalleek:

mabriss lethe
2013-11-19, 10:13 PM
Just using SRD material, a commoner can qualify for Assassin (entering at 14), Blackguard (entering at 13), Duelist(13), Dwarven Defender(15), Horizon Walker(13), and Shadowdancer (18).

Edit to add: I haven't flipped through the psionics stuff on the SRD.

prufock
2013-11-19, 10:16 PM
when i first read your user name i read the U and the O in opposite places and im like wow howd he get away with that as a name :smalleek:
You wouldn't be the first! It's a reference to The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock by TS Eliot, and I've been using the same screen name on multiple accounts through the years. However on the first site prufrock was already taken, so I just dropped the second r.

The screen name actually got me banned from Pokerstars.net. True story.

Just using SRD material, a commoner can qualify for Assassin (entering at 14), Blackguard (entering at 13), Duelist(13), Dwarven Defender(15), Horizon Walker(13), and Shadowdancer (18).

Arcane Archer (12th with one flaw, Magical Training feat, Heighten Spell feat, Versatile Spellcaster feat)
Arcane Trickster (12th with 2 flaws, Magical Training feat, Heighten Spell feat, Versatile Spellcaster feat, Earth Sense feat, Earth Spell feat, Sanctum Spell feat, Martial Study feat, Martial Stance (Assassin's Stance) feat, cross-class ranks in the skill requirements)
Archmage (not until epic)
Dragon Disciple (13th, Magical Training feat, cross-class ranks in Know Arcana)
Eldritch Knight (9th+LA if you play a creature with the giant or outsider type for all martial weapon proficiencies; 12th if you take the Otherwordly feat to become a native outsider, Magical Training feat, Heighten Spell feat, Versatile Spellcaster feat, Earth Sense feat, Earth Spell feat, Sanctum Spell feat)
Heirophant (not until epic)
Loremaster (similar tricks, but would require some Extra Slot feats; probably easiest with Naenhoon Illumian)
Mystic Theurge (can't think of a way to get 2nd-level divine spells without dipping)

Of course, once you gain a PrC, you can use abilities from that to qualify for further PrCs, which is especially relevant for those with their own casting progression.

JoshuaZ
2013-11-19, 10:31 PM

Edit to add: I haven't flipped through the psionics stuff on the SRD.

That's going to be a function in part of whether we're only core focused, since some feats in Complete Psion might help. They can however certain qualify for Warmind, Pyrokineticist and Slayer although I haven't worked out at what levels.

I suspect that one can get without much work earlier entries than the entries you gave above if one is allowed to branch outside core, since there are feats that can give you additional class skills (e.g. Able Learner(Races of Destiny), Education (From Eberron Campaign Setting), Apprentice (From PHII), and Knowledge Devotion(Complete Champion) are all obvious ways.Note also that for many of these PrCs, once one has them one can then use them to qualify for other PrCs. For example, both Assassin and Blackguard will allow you to qualify for Mystic Theurge. I think that with a little work it might even be possible to take a level of Mystic Theurge pre-epic.

Phelix-Mu
2013-11-19, 10:36 PM

You wouldn't be the first! It's a reference to The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock by TS Eliot, and I've been using the same screen name on multiple accounts through the years. However on the first site prufrock was already taken, so I just dropped the second r.

The screen name actually got me banned from Pokerstars.net. True story.

Way off-topic, but I've meant repeatedly to complement prufock on the nature of his screen name. Kudos for the awesome reference to one of my favorite poems from a crazy good poet. I still remember the days in high school when I read stuff like the aforementioned Love Song, The Hollow Men, Xanadu, and the like. Good times.

On topic, with feats like Chicken-Infested, why do Commoners even need PrCs?:smalltongue:

Zombulian
2013-11-20, 01:40 AM
Way off-topic, but I've meant repeatedly to complement prufock on the nature of his screen name. Kudos for the awesome reference to one of my favorite poems from a crazy good poet. I still remember the days in high school when I read stuff like the aforementioned Love Song, The Hollow Men, Xanadu, and the like. Good times.

On topic, with feats like Chicken-Infested, why do Commoners even need PrCs?:smalltongue:

They don't! Infinite chickens = infinite possibilities= more versatile than a wizard = commoner is tier 0

Coidzor
2013-11-20, 02:26 AM
Well anyone of them that doesn't require a class feature or spell casting. Lots of martial ones only require bab skills and feats which the commoner will eventually qualify for.

And then once they get something like, Dread Commando (IIRC) which grants sudden strike or sneak attack, then they get access to other rogue-type PrCs or... a trapfinding granting PrC for the other rogue-type PrCs.

And then things like Knight of the Weave/Suel Arcanamach/Divine Crusader/Assassin can grant spellcasting for other, different PrCs.

And I think there might be some PrCs that grant a rage-equivalent which will work for pre-reqs without having to have rage to begin with, but I might be misremembering, and that's the one I'm most unsure about, distantly followed by getting trapfinding without possessing spells or precision damage or something that would have to be gained by another PrC or chain of PrCs first.

GoblinArchmage
2013-11-20, 02:45 AM

Isn't it a flaw, which makes it even better because they get an extra feat?

Zombulian
2013-11-20, 07:11 PM
Isn't it a flaw, which makes it even better because they get an extra feat?

TIER. ZERO.