PDA

View Full Version : I fear Nothing, for I am Fear Itself: A Pathfinder's Guide to the Inquisitor

ArqArturo
2013-11-19, 02:06 PM
http://static.screenweek.it/2010/5/20/Solomon-Kane-James-Purefoy-foto-dal-film-9_mid.jpg

Look upon this hammer I hold before me, for it is far more than a weapon. It is a symbol of the Imperial justice that smites the diabolic enemies of the Imperium wherever they are found, just as I. Though it has banished even a mighty Greater Daemon to the hell from which it was spawned, it remains true and pure, just as I. Furthermore, it is a symbol of my order and my office, of the authority granted to me by the divine will of the Emperor. By that authority, I am commanding you and your entire regiment to obey me without question or hesitation. Advance, or it will not be daemonic blood that stains my hammer this day.
- addressing Colonel Molian of the 223rd Gudrunrite Rifles

I fear Nothing, for I am Fear Itself: A Pathfinder's Guide to the Inquisitor

Hello, and welcome to this handbook, and my probably my second attempt to help develop yet another favorite class of mine in d20. In this case, I delve into Pathfinder, and introduce the Inquisitor.

This time, however, the info will be straight up, no gimmick-y writing this time.

The Hammer of the Gods, the Bane of Heretics: It feels, sort of, that Paizo wanted to make the Inquisitors look more like a sanctified version of either rogues or rangers, skulking deep into the secret temples of heretics, and then attacking them with righteous fury. However, they feel more like the militant arm of the church (or ideal) they serve, delivering holy (or unholy) retribution to his or her enemies.

But, the class is flexible enough that you can do several approaches to this end: You can be the sneaky holy archetype of judgement, or you can be the direct threat against your enemies, or even switch roles as needed, since your HD, spell list, and archetypes are damn flexible.

Big props to Jadeite's to the Inquisitor (https://docs.google.com/document/d/19N7y6cKFLAr2KMMiKc8A1XG6R4iOmwaNFS7iAs17zyU/edit?hl=en_US), and the Cryptic's Guide to the Inquisitor, though that seems to be locked, and it was a beta.

So, let's get right to it.

Sky-Blue. The choice is solidly good, and works well from the moment you pick it, to the highest level.
Blue. A good choice, excellent from the moment you pick it
Black. Could be better, but good nonethenless. Needs some work along the way, though
Purple. Better than the alternative, will probably hinder you in the long run, or might be a better choice for another build.
Red. A bad choice, really.

ArqArturo
2013-11-19, 02:09 PM
The Ordo Inquisitorium: What is the Inquisitor
You ask why we must cleanse the xenos. I will tell you. The filth of the alien and the witch must be exterminated to preserve the purity of the Human race, lest we degenerate into abomination.
- at the Conclave of Vera

The Inquisitor is a divine class presented in the Advanced player's Handbook, and further advanced in his choices in most of the splatbooks (both official and third party publishing).

The class feels like a bard in the sense of Monster Lore and Teamwork feats, but that stops there when you realize he's a little greedy about the teamwork feat benefits, and instead prefers to work solo, thus giving the idea that the Inquisitor is a rogue-ish character (which he can be).

HD: The Inquisitor rolls d8 for his hit points, and puts him in a good position to be a secondary frontliner thanks to his weapon and armor proficiencies and his spells selection if he feels like it.

Saves: Like the Cleric, the Druid, and the Paladin, the Inquisitor invests heavily in both Fortitude and Will.

Skills: As the name suggests, the Inquisitor draws heavily on grabbing people and Intimidating them into confessing stuff. Also, they're sneaky and somewhat adept at diplomacy. They get 6 skill ranks, so that puts them in a nice position for skill monkeys.

Spellcasting: Although very similar to the Bard, the spell selection of inquisitors mix well with the theme of the class. They focus heavily on stealth, some damage dealing (in particular with the Inflict spells). There are a few control spells, but most are better suited out of combat.

Class features: Ok, here foes the nitty and gritty of it all.

Domains (And Inquisitions too!): An inquisitor can pick one domain of their particular deity, or of an ideal. While they cannot choose the extra spells from their list, they do get to use some of the features they get, as their Inquisitor levels count as cleric levels, so choose the domains carefully; Sun Domain can be a really bad choice to get, unless you have access to Channel Divinity, which then bumps to a reasonable choice You could also, alternatively, you could also instead pick a Subdomain to get different effects.

Domains:
Air, Most elemental domains (the straight ones, anyway) are a hit and miss. I wouldn't really bother with them, unless you take Ifrit or a similar race, or you like a little blasting on the side. Either way, the damage and resistance these domains give are very disappointing for Inquisitors. But, on the plus side of this domain, not a lot of enemies are immune to lightning.
Animal, leave this for the druids, you have heretics to burn. But, if you're interested on having an animal sidekick to fight for you, it could become a powerful thing to have if it learns Teamwork feats.
Artifice while it goes well with the flavor of the Iconoclast Inquisitor, the breaking down (or repair) of items and constructs is too low to justify taking it. Also, dancing weapons are not really worth it.
Chaos Alignment Domains are also a bit of a hit-and-miss, but this one can give a measure of control to enemies that have a decent hit bonus.
Charm while you can be a diplomat, you're really more cut out to grab people by the neck and throttle them for answers.
Community while you may fly solo, this domains helps your companions to remove some nasty conditions (thus aiding the paladin), and even help against AoO effects.
Darkness, not only can you blind some enemies with a touch, but even magical darkness will not stop you from giving out judgement to heretics. Who's afraid of the dark? Not you.
Death bleed enemies to death, and have negative energy heal you? A very good Domain to have, especially for those Dhampirs with a taste of blood, but no fangs.
Destruction, now this is a better choice for iconoclasts, and most straight melee Inquisitors, really. Too bad they don't get the spells, since this is a good domain.
Earth, not a lot of enemies have acid, but if you're facing too many trolls, this might be good.
Evil, you have spells for this.
Fire, unless you're playing an Ifrit, I wouldn't bother much with this domain.
Glory The bonuses and defenses for your party are good, but, you only cast like a Bard, you don't need to act like one.
Good, again, you have spells for this.
Healing, mostly a survivability domain, but great to have. If you're a half-orc, or an orc, you picked this Domain and just got below 0 HP, guess which action you're gonna take.
Knowledge, goes well with Monster Lore, and also gives you scrying capabilities to spy on your enemies from afar. No one expects the Scrying Inquisition :smallamused:.
Law, guess what I will say...
Liberation, a nifty little movement buff, as well as a counter to all those pesky grapplers and AoO abusers.
Luck, I personally prefer the first effect, but anything that lets you reroll anything is great.
Madness, a little unimpressive, but the 8th level power is incredibly good, especially against mobs of lesser-minded enemies.
Magic, what's better than flying weapons? Throwing weapons. Also, dispelling things with your touch, that's good too.
Nobility, another bardic domain, but this one has a better effect overall. It also gives you Leadership, but that's beside the point.
Plant, not the best of choices, unless you go with an Inquisitor/Cleric/Monk idea, then it becomes slightly passable, but even then the shenanigans you must do are not worth it.
Protection Gives you a good set of saves, and pass on to others, and create a circle of protection (sort of). Quite simple and straight to the point.
Repose, a good way to make mooks sleep, and protect yourself from Save-or-Die spells.
Rune, slightly situational, but it may have its uses for laying out traps. Also, free Scribe Scroll feat.
Scalykind, Fascination and non-lethal damage with a stare. It may not kill, but it makes enemies not move while you approach.
Strength, Not to confused with the 3.5 Strength Domain (I did), the domain is good to have to aid the melee monster with a strong buff, and the 8th level ability is just not worth it. The subdomains are nicer, however.
Sun You do not have Channel Divinity. But, if you do get Channel Divinity, you may get some mileage.
Travel, one moment you're running on brambles, the next (8th levels, that is) you're hoping across them; and to dwarves (surface-dwelling, maybe? Heh) it makes for a pretty cool thing to have.
Trickery, a good domain for those with an inclination towards stealth.
Void, an interesting choice for spellslayers, since it lets you defend versus control magic, and lets you instill fear and madness with your own controlling spells.
War The Strength subdomains and Destruction are much better choices, but the occasional switch of feats may prove useful from time to time.
Water Yay, you are Aquaman :smallannoyed:.
Weather, starts out as an area control effect, and moves up to being Zeuz. Or Thor, if you're into Norse Mythology.

Subdomains:
Cloud Makes a storm cloud at 8th level, other than that, it's still the Air Domain.
Wind, is actually fairly good, since it lets you push enemies from afar. But, you're stuck with the resistance of the Air Domain.
Feather, moves up a few spaces because it lets you act during a surprise round, and gives you a bonus on Perception.
Fur, even with the bonus on speed and low light vision, not really the best of choices.
Construct moves it up a notch because animated objects are actually helpful.
Toil, bad choice, even with the aura of repetition, especially if the fight's going bad.
Trap, not really worth it, even if the traps are good.
Azata, Elysium's Call is reasonably good as a defense against control, but you only get a single domain, and no spells. Choose wisely.
Demon Similar to that of the Strength domain, only more evil, for some reason.
Entropy Great for spellslayers, since it can help remove those pesky buffs.
Protean, if the touch of chaos is good, this aura is... Well, sort of good.
Revelry, you don't have that many spells that hand out morale bonuses, but the ones you do will last much longer.
Whimsy, is not worth it. But, if you Channel Energy, It's a hit or miss, depending on the roll of the dice.
Love, apparently it can stop a bullet (or an arrow), but the effect is not really worth it.
Lust, moves up a step, but only because you can daze creatures with a touch (It's magic, damn it!).
Cooperation, let's you pass around the benefits of your Teamwork feats, so you don't need to fly solo all the time.
Community, sometimes you have to bite the bullet to save the day, and this domain helps removing effects... By laying them to you.
Home, too situational for my taste.
Loss, yes, it starts with low-level spells, but then when you make it with a spellkiller it becomes a more powerful option
Moon, the damage is a little lackluster, but it does get the benefit of advancing in the number of dice in damage (unlike other domains that give damage-dealing powers), and it ignores any damage resistance or immunity.
Night, yo become One with the night... Unless it's against dwarves/drow/orcs/half-orcs/duergar,they can still see you.
Murder, bloody murder is always a good thing to have, but at 8th level you'll face with a lot of enemies that have stuff against this. Still a pretty a good ability to get, though.
Undead is not really worth the ability, as good as it might be... Unless you're in a party full of necromancers, then take it.
Catastrophe is Catastrophic to pick over Detruction.
Rage, on the other hand... I like the rage effect over the Aura of Destruction, and it will give you powerful choices, but, remember that you can't cast spells while under the rage.
Torture on the other hand can be useful when you need to take someone alive, strangely enough. However, keep in mind that only creatures affected by critical hits are also affected by nonlethal damage.
Cave ups the Earth domain to a bit, giving you the ability to be a better cave-dweller. But, by that level you already have things that let you go through walls.
Metal turns your big meaty fists into big metal mitts you can whomp people with... Meh.
Radiation, give everyone the gift of Radiation sickness! Might look cool for a post-apocalyptic game, but... Here, the effect is not that great.
Daemon, you fascinate people. But honestly, alignment domains suck.
Demon... Perhaps I should take that back, especially if Demons are good in combat.
Devil, makes your enemies easier to be debuffed or controlled by the AoE spellcaster. Not my first choice, really.
Fear, considering you're a master of intimidation, you could put this into good use. Not only does it deal damage, but also gives you temporary HP.
Arson, you call a source of fire to burn thins, and people in the line between you and the source of flame (60 feet of distance tops). Truth be told, I am unimpressed.
Ash, on the other hand removes the meh-inducing fire resistance bonus and gives you a wall that can blind and reveal invisible creatures. Ups the domain, but stays in black as you don't gain spells.
Smoke creates a concealment-inducing cloud that also impairs vision. Removes the fire bolt ability which makes Ifrit inquisitors really angry, but if you want to be a ninja-inquisitor, it works wonders.
Heroism is awful, and you have to wait until lvl 8 for the Aura!? No, this is bullcrap.
Honor keeps Enchantments away. Powerful at low levels, but always good to have if you don't want a combat-oriented domain.
Agathion domain effect (at 8th lvl) is bland, but effective. My major problem with alignment domains is that must are bland and lame, compared to... Well, Healing, Destruction, Protection. More so when the Inquisitor does not gain extra spells.
The Archon Subdomain also proves my point. Yes, it gives me a small debuff, but against AC and I have to wait until lvl 8.
The Azata subdomain, however, like the Honor subdomain, are a good addition for help fight save-or-suck spells and abilities.
Friendship is magic, or in this case, it's a telepathic message with allies a few times per day.
Redemption helps you turn the tables on the few spells that affect creatures of certain alignments. While the ability is at 8th level, it can stave off nasty effects, or worse, spells that come from 3.5/3.0 (I'm looking at you Book of Vile Darkness).
Restoration, no, not worth it. The Paladin does it better.
Resurrection is actually better, and since you're in the front lines (sort of), you can potentially be rising people when they fall rather quickly.
Inevitable, commanding at low levels is a good thing to have. The problem lies it's only one command and only you can make it once to each creature.
Judgement, unless you're investing heavy on spellcasting, a +1 caster level to a creature that just hit you is not really worth it.
Loyalty, a bonus against compulsions... When instead what you'd need is to remove them. Moving on.
Slavery A very nice control debuff, but, you're still stuck with the initial ability.
Tyranny, again, still stuck with Touch of Law, but, if you have a sadistic bent (Or use two-handed weapons and have a mean STR score), it can be an interesting choice at 8th level.
Memory, helps you reroll any Knowledge skills you might have failed.
Thought, while Detect Thoughts is enticing, it removed your scrying skills.
Freedom, a good 'just in case' saving throw reroll. It may last a minute, but it's a good ability to have, both you or those that don't have great saves.
Revolution, not the best of choices, and removes the 8th level ability and gives you a chance to reroll social skills a few times a day.
Curse, at low levels it might work, but the debuff on saves only works against your spells.
Imagination let's you daze your enemies, and uses Wisdom as a key ability to do so. Not so effective on undead and constructs. Still, a good debuff and AoE ability to use in melee.
Insanity, another melee control spell, this one can is somewhat stunted, but it you enjoy the randomness of confusion and Madness, it may work well in your favor... Sometimes.
Nightmare, is your paladin friend being a ****? This is the subdomain for you since it removes fear inmunity. Otherwise, I'd consider Imagination or Insanity.
Arcane, you won't really benefit from this ability, although any arcane spellcasters close to you might (if you're in melee, most likely it will be the Magus and/or the Bard).
Divine, although it only affects the first attack, skill check and save, this actually can work as a quick buff, especially if you're buffing yourself.

UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Inquisitions are different sort of Domains, which are tailored for the Inquisitor. They have no spells, but they do have powerful effects that help your Inquisitor to be better at either making spellcasters fumble their spells, or destroying artifacts in a fit of zealous rage.

Inquisitions:
Anger, In general, getting hit is a bit of a problem, because you might get a secondary effect. But, if you're Half-Orc, an Orc, or a Dwarf (or have a very nice CON score to take the hit, and whatever effect you might get) moves up a spot. You can also Rage like a Barbarian, but it deals with Wisdom instead of CON. Still, remember you can't cast while enraged.
Banishment , a really good choice for Exorcist-type of Inquisitors. Not only you get to intimidate evil foes and still the fear in them (and then up the ante some more with Intimidate), you also get to Banish them altogether.
Black Powder, Firearms are slightly bad in Pathfinder, and the ability is focused against Spell-Like abilities instead of spells themselves.
Conversion , when you need to be a Diplomancer Inquisitor, this can be a really good thing to have since it turns to Wisdom for your social graces, instead of Charisma.
Damnation , strangely compelling, also not very effective against mindless enemies, but forcing people to do your bidding (in one action), or summon illusions to 'drag people to Hell' is nice.
Excommunication , when you absolutery must silence your enemy, and the worst enemies usually talk their way into people's brains. However, there are better ways to do so.
Fate , no matter what fate brings you, it brings good things: Heal to some, pain to many, defense to you.
Fervor , creates a fire that can hurt certain enemies, and at 8th level, once per day it gives you extra actions. If you're an Ifrit, it makes things better.
Final Rest , the first ability is... Disrupt undead as a spell-like, and adds Wis to damage. And the secondary ability makes your melee hits to get the chance to really destroy undead (instead of just bane). A good ability to have when in an undead-heavy campaign.
Heresy Turns to Wisdom for Bluff and Intimidate, lets you rerolls stealth checks, and Curse foes for a time. A really great thematic Inquisition, and some debuff power to boot.
Illumination , not the best of inquisitions. You light yourself (as a 2nd level ability, so Deeper Darkness can still go over you), and gives you a bonus on certain skills and Will.
Imprisonment While Hold monster once a day certainly is interesting, the entangling while confirming criticials also is intriguing. Use a scimitar and a falchion often.
Justice Quite honestly, not the best of choices, and a lot of the things can be easily replicated several times. Pass.
Oblivion Healing works best, and quite honestly, this is not your job. But it does help to avoid a TPK.
Order
Persistence
Possession
Recovery
Redemption
Reformation
Revelation
Sin
Spellkiller
Tactics
Torture
True Death
Truth
Valor
Vengeance
Zeal

UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Monster Lore: This nifty ability helps you to use Wisdom to identify critters, pretty useful when you're thrown in something unfamiliar.

Stern Gaze: There's no one better to help intimidate someone to spill the beans -and know if said beans are not rotten- than inquisitor. Adding 1/2 your level on Intimidate and Sense Motive checks helps a lot. In a half-orc this turns him into a veritable Intimidating machine.

Judgement: The bread and butter of this class. Judgement gives him powerful combat choices against a particular foe, either making him more effective to hit, more monstrous in damage, more resilient, or more slippery, depending on what kind of Inquisitor you want.

Judgements:
Destruction
Healing
Justice
Piercing
Protection
Purity
Resiliency
Resistance
Smiting

UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Cunning Intiative: Adds Wis to Initiative. Nothing fancy, but useful.

Teamwork Feats and Solo Tactics: At certain levels you get teamwork feats, but, with solo tactics, you might only benefit from them if the rest of the party doesn't bother. Also, some of the archetypes do away with these features.

Track: You can search for tracks. Goes well with the class, though.

Detect Alignment: Step aside, paladin!

Bane: A really destructive ability that lets you turn your weapon into a destructive tool against your chosen foe... Of that fight :smallamused:.

Discern Lies: While magical means to bring the truth to light can be impared by mundane ways and a really creative GM, this is a really good tool for mooks and fools with little social skills.

Stalwart: Helps you resist effects of Fortitude and Will, but not entirely against save and suck effects.

Exploit Weakness: Good against enemies with damage reduction, but at this level, you might already have a series of weapons for this, but always good to know this ability is there when you need it.

Slayer: Up the ante for about 5 more levels with one judgement.

True Judgement: You become the Judge, Jury and Executioner of your chosen god/ideal/pantheon.

ArqArturo
2013-11-19, 02:14 PM
Ordo Xeno: Races for the Inquisition
Chaos claims the unwary or the incomplete. A true man may flinch away its embrace, if he is stalwart, and he girds his soul with the armour of contempt.
-from The Spheres of Longing

All races play the Inquisitor differently. A human Inquisitor feels different from a dwarf, elf, even duergar or strix, even if they share the same deity. Each race brings something different to the table, and offers different possibilities.

Core Races:

Dwarves make pretty decent Inquisitors, being resilient and wise. And while they may not have a lot of spell choices like the Humans, they can increase the effect of their Judgements, and they become brutal when paired with the Spellbreaker archetype, thanks to their resiliency against spells.

Elves make a interesting choice, but their hit on Con makes them rather frail, but can work well with a ranged combat build since they gain extra weapon proficiencies. [

Gnomes are really not fit to become inquisitors. Even their favored class option is sub-par, when comparing them to the other core races.

Half-Elves make extremely good Inquisitors, especially when multiclassing. And, if you take into account that they count as Humans (including for favored class options), choosing them can be Really great.

Half-Orcs are, as stated above, great intimidating Inquisitors. Their Ferocity race feature makes certain that they can attack one turn before collapsing (therefore, they can cure themselves and thus avoiding any unnecessary casualties), as well as getting extra weapon proficiencies. Also, if you take it into account that they also count as human, they get up a notch.

Humans are the quintessential Inquisitors. With their extra feat and skill rank they're pretty flexible, as well as extra spells.

Halflings are slightly above the gnomes, only because they have relevant ranged combat capabilities, but other than that, if you're going for a ranged Inquisitor, there are far better choices.

Other Races:

Aasimars make for interesting Inquisitors, especially if you pair them up with a Paladin with the Oath of Vengeance archetype, but other than that, only their stats on Wisdom help out.

Cat-Folk get a hit on Wisdom, do not have anything to give to the Inquisitor, and have abilities that can be replicated with spells. Nothing to look here.

Following such archetypical characters like Blade and D (From Vampire Hunter D), Dhampirs make for interesting Inquisitors. My problem is their hit to Constitution and their Negative Energy Affinity (You'll have to supply yourself with healing in most cases), but they can attack heretics like the best of-'em.

The Drow make for interesting Inquisitors thanks to their racial atributes (minus their stat bonuses, which are sort of lackluster), and it makes for the archetypal skulky Inquisitor, hiding in the shadows and waiting for the time to strike.

Despite having a hit in Wisdom, Fetchlings can be good stealthy Inquisitors alongside the Drow.

Goblins can be, strangely, one of the best small-sized Inquisitors, especially for ranged combat. And if you have the black powder inquisition, and pair him up with the goblin gunslinger feat, they become awesome. Also, their love if fire is adorable, but just for fluff :smallbiggrin:.

Despite their awful favored class option, Hobgoblins make good ranged combatants due to the fact that they don't take a hit in Constitution, and they can become the bane of spellcasters everywhere.

Ifrits don't make the best Inquisitors, not just because of their hit to wisdom, and their lousy favored class option, but also because there's very little fire spells in the spell list. So if you really, really like fire. Perhaps they can be a good choice, but even their archetype falls short.

Kobolds have nothing to give to make the Inquisitor great. So much for the progenitors of Pun-Pun.

Orcs fall short on the Inquisitor race option, making Half-Orcs even a better choice.

Oreads make excellent Inquisitors, despite them not having a favored class option, but the fact that they have a bonus on both Wisdom and Strength makes them excellent melee inquisitors.

Ratfolk are meh, all things considered. Even if you want a small-sized ranged combatant, the goblin with black powder makes for a better race than ratfolk.

Sylphs take a hit in Constitution, but their favored class option helps them to be more stealthy, but, to be honest, it takes a while to be effective.

Tengus are the better choice for ranged combat, and even with their hit to Constitution, their Swordplay proficiency can be effective when needed. If you don't mind swordplay, switch it to be proficient with exotic ranged weapons.

Tieflings work well with the class, since they don't get a hit in their wisdom, and not only are they stealthy when needed, but also help identifying their enemies with Monster Lore.

Undines, like Tengus, make interesting ranged choices, unlike Tengus, they take a hit in Strength; also unlike Tengus, they lack an option to get weapon proficiencies.

Changelings get a few interesting things due to their hag heritage, also, depending on their type of hag, changelings can either be good with natural weapons, seducers, or good swimmers.

Duergar are just as great as dwarves, but, while their favored class option leaves much to be desired, Enlarge person, plus their race abilities can be useful. Funny enough, you can change a few things for dwarf traits, so maybe you could get things (namely their favored class options) for dwarves if your GM allows it, if you can, then it becomes insanely good.

Gillmen are probably not the best of choices for Inquisitor.

It's not easy being green, unless you're a Gripplis Inquisitor, then he becomes a really good ranged Inquisitor. Also, Toxic skin goes well with the theme of questioning people.

Kitsune don't give much to Inquisitors, other than shapeshifting, and quite honestly, I just don't see them as inquisitors.

If gillmen are bad, Merfolk are definitely worse to to the fact they're legless, unless you're in a water-based campaign, then they turn... Just as bad, really.

Nagaji aren't really bad, but they offer little in the shape of abilities to use for Inquisitors. However, their hypnotic gaze can be a welcome boon in certain situations.

While Samsarans get a hit in Constitution, their boon to Wisdom and Intelligence can be useful into making a skill-monkey Inquisitor, as well as a spellcasting one.

Not only the fluff helps somewhat, but the abilities of the Strix make them a very nice choice for any kind of Inquisitor. Plus, they can fly at any level, giving them superb mobility.

If adding Bane can be a powerful thing for a combat Inquisitor, The Elemental Assault of the Sulis makes for superb combat capabilities. Other than that, they are adept negotiators and rival Aasimars when thinking of multiclassing with the Paladin.

If Gnomes are bad, Svirfneblin are worse. They may make great clerics, but they have really bad stats for Inquisitors.

Vanaras are...Weird. But, they do have great racial stats, and a hit in a usually dump stat, and can be a good inquisitor.

Vishkanyas don't make the best of Inquisitors, since their abilities favor Charisma over Wisdom.

There seems a general rule that most of the small races aren't reallt cut out for the Inquisitor, with the exception of goblins. In the case of the Wayangs is more or less the same, and it's a shame, considering that beings from the plane of Shadow focus on stealth, but their abilities are not really great on them.

ArqArturo
2013-11-19, 02:17 PM
Officio Assassinorum: Archetypes of the Inquisition
Foul sorcery shall not lay low the servants of the Emperor! The power of the Emperor compels thee and the radiant light of faith abjures thee! Cast thyself before the Emperor's mercy that he might absolve you of your sins, even as he drains you of your very soul!
– to a rogue psyker on Epsilon Regalis

The Inquisitor in general is already a really good class, but sometimes -especially in a thematic game- you need something a little more focused. It's not gonna be very good when your Iconoclast inquisitor doesn't get to break things, or a Spellbreaker facing down only a bunch of non-magical mooks. Sure, you can still survive, but you're not gonna be that useful. So, see how the game is played out, and take a good look at the archetypes you have available.

General Archetypes:

UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Race-related Archetypes:

Immolator: The Ifrit-specific archetype. The problem with fire is, that fire is like Justin Beiber: It's popular. And therefore, there's plenty of critters with resistance or immune to it. And while the class lowers resistances it does little on its own against immunity. Also, it goes away with Bane and adds the Flaming Property to your weapon, and it goes away with the Smite judgement, and adds a judgement for fire. However, if you can convince the DM that the Fervor Inquisition ability counts as either the Fire Domain or one of its associated subdomains, then it turns into a more impressive choice.

UNDER CONSTRUCTION

ArqArturo
2013-11-19, 02:19 PM
Ordo Militum: Feats for the Inquisitor.
Do not presume to judge me or the methods I choose to employ, petty-minded fool. You cannot comprehend the magnitude of the task I have undertaken nor the consequences of my failure.

Inquisitor.

UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Combat-Related Feats.

UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Weapon Proficiencies that are worth it to use the feat.

UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Spell-related Feats.

UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Multiclassing feats.

UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Others.

UNDER CONSTRUCTION

ArqArturo
2013-11-19, 02:22 PM
Ordo Hereticus: Spells for the Inquisition.
But this place is infected by Chaos' taint... And where such infection lies, I have all the authority I need.
– Inquisitor Silas Hand, when his authority on Ophelia VII was questioned

Reserved.

ArqArturo
2013-11-19, 02:23 PM
Ordo Malleus: The Tools of the Inquisitor
Trust in the God-Emperor. But trust your blade, too.
-Inquisitor Atellus Thrax

Reserved

ArqArturo
2013-11-19, 02:25 PM
Ordo Hydra: Prestige classes, and which class serves better for the Inquisitor.
Grinn is a Brother Inquisitor. I would spare him the agonies of an Ordo Malleus interrogation chamber if I could. Tell your brethren to shoot to kill.

Reserved

ArqArturo
2013-11-20, 06:24 PM
Any tips, help, and suggestions to help make this guidebook better are highly appreciated :smallwink:.

EDIT: Yes, this is a Work in Progress, so far.

MonochromeTiger
2013-11-20, 06:38 PM
Any tips, help, and suggestions to help make this guidebook better are highly appreciated :smallwink:.

EDIT: Yes, this is a Work in Progress, so far.

you, sir, have far more patience than I in helping to increase the appeal of a liked class. about the only inquisitor advice I have is what my players have done...which is begging to get a morale bonus on rolls as long as they precede an action with "no one expects the *blank* inquisition!"

Amphetryon
2013-11-20, 07:02 PM
Please consider a different color from "Eyebleed Yellow" to denote Best In Show. Thanks.

avr
2013-11-20, 07:08 PM
On a similar note to Amphetyron's - medium turquoise is fine, but the cyan you used under Other Races is not.

Spore
2013-11-20, 07:21 PM
Please consider a different color from "Eyebleed Yellow" to denote Best In Show. Thanks.

Yeah. Also color wise this doesn't make sense. In the Treantesque guide style "more blue" means better and gold/yellow is certainly closer to the red and orange spectrum (meaning bad). Please consider using "standard" colors for your readers since we often compare several guides and do not like to change thinking when changing from one tab to another.

ArqArturo
2013-11-20, 08:52 PM
Yup, I just went on and eliminated gold as a color (added DeepSkyBlue), and the sky-blue description, since it's seemed rather silly.

you, sir, have far more patience than I in helping to increase the appeal of a liked class. about the only inquisitor advice I have is what my players have done...which is begging to get a morale bonus on rolls as long as they precede an action with "no one expects the *blank* inquisition!"

Your pining for the Monty Python Quotes, huh? :smallamused:.

ArqArturo
2013-12-13, 03:33 PM
Added a few more choices on the subject of subdomains. Man is that a loooong list of choices... And not all of them good :smallfurious:.

Reinkai
2013-12-13, 04:20 PM
I was actually torn between Inquis and Wiz for a character to be used in a rescue party, so this is interesting. Can't wait to see it complete.

Mygicmeen
2013-12-13, 04:34 PM
I feel like traveling domain should be sky blue, especially for dwarves. Get ten feet of movement back, and have no trouble using your teamwork feats by porting up to 80ft at level 8

Greenish
2013-12-13, 04:46 PM
Huh, you've rated Strength domain and Drow sky blue?! This requires an explanation.

avr
2013-12-13, 06:12 PM
Animal domain; you can't make other players take teamwork feats, you can make an animal companion do so. It's better than red IMO.

Greenish
2013-12-13, 06:18 PM
Animal domain; you can't make other players take teamwork feats, you can make an animal companion do so. It's better than red IMO.Well, you don't really need the others to have Teamwork feats, with Solo Tactics.

Still, getting a pet should be at least black (and probably at least blue for Feather sub domain thanks to Perception boost).

ArqArturo
2013-12-13, 09:39 PM
I feel like traveling domain should be sky blue, especially for dwarves. Get ten feet of movement back, and have no trouble using your teamwork feats by porting up to 80ft at level 8

Heh, you're right :smallamused:.

Huh, you've rated Strength domain and Drow sky blue?! This requires an explanation.

The Strength Domain's effect is pretty simple, effective when it's needed (combat), and both effects are pretty solid unlike, say, most alignment domains.

The drow are sky blue because of their stat abilities, and they don't seem to lose class advancement, as previously done in the beastiaries (I could be wrong, though).

Well, you don't really need the others to have Teamwork feats, with Solo Tactics.

Still, getting a pet should be at least black (and probably at least blue for Feather sub domain thanks to Perception boost).

I had not thought about this. I'll see it done.

Greenish
2013-12-14, 04:04 AM
The Strength Domain's effect is pretty simple, effective when it's needed (combat), and both effects are pretty solid unlike, say, most alignment domains.The first effect, you can't really make use yourself (standard to activate, and last just a round). Okay, if making an ally do better is the best use of your standard action, it works, but that probably shouldn't be the case. The second ability just isn't for combat at all.

The drow are sky blue because of their stat abilities, and they don't seem to lose class advancement, as previously done in the beastiaries (I could be wrong, though).Their stats? Are we talking about the same drow (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races/featured-races/arg-drow)? What is it about Con penalty and Cha bonus that makes them great inquisitors?

ArqArturo
2013-12-14, 12:42 PM
Crap, I saw other stats. Corrected.

I started working on of the Inquisitions, as seeing the subdomains might take forever to finish.