PDA

View Full Version : Gender, Race, Class, & Sexuality in OoTS

Zmeoaice
2013-11-19, 05:17 PM
This topic (notably gender and sexuality) has been cluttering a few threads on the forum, and I think it's best to keep it all here.

Hopefully we can follow the rules this time so it won't turn out like the last thread.

First things first, can someone remake this table (I don't know how). It needs to be updated, since Nale is dead, and the introduction of Mirion and Laurin (I think we should list their race as "brown").

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15047804&postcount=239

Flame of Anor
2013-11-19, 05:20 PM
Didn't we have this thread a few months ago and get it locked?

oppyu
2013-11-19, 05:28 PM
As much as I've been contributing to the proliferation of this discussion around the boards and consider this to be one of the few major problems with OOTS, I have to say any thread on this topic seems doomed to be locked at some point. But since you started the thread and all, here's my two cents.

OOTS has few women and almost zero homosexual characters, and that lowers my enjoyment of the strip. If The Giant had included more woman and homosexuals, I would enjoy the strip more. But as it stands, it's a total heterosexual sausage party.

EDIT: May as well go all the way with this. And furthermore, as OOTS is not helping with equal gender or sexuality representation, it is therefore opposing it by reinforcing the heterosexual and male dominance of media and perpetuating the social conditions necessary to keep those nasty women and gays behind the curtain where they belong.

DaggerPen
2013-11-19, 05:30 PM
As much as I've been contributing to the proliferation of this discussion around the boards and consider this to be one of the few major problems with OOTS, I have to say any thread on this topic seems doomed to be locked at some point. But since you started the thread and all, here's my two cents.

OOTS has few women and almost zero homosexual characters, and that lowers my enjoyment of the strip. If The Giant had included more woman and homosexuals, I would enjoy the strip more. But as it stands, it's a total heterosexual sausage party.

Agreed. It's a very good strip, and I really love the effort to have diverse races and cultures amongst the humans instead of doing the usual "allegory for racism with white people and various nonhuman races" story, but I do rather wish there was a bit more diversity on the gender and sexuality front.

orrion
2013-11-19, 05:47 PM
It's a double edged sword.

If he includes the diversity you want, he'll get flack from you guys for any mistakes he makes on that portrayal.

If he doesn't, he gets flack from you guys because the comic isn't diverse enough.

DaggerPen
2013-11-19, 05:52 PM
It's a double edged sword.

If he includes the diversity you want, he'll get flack from you guys for any mistakes he makes on that portrayal.

If he doesn't, he gets flack from you guys because the comic isn't diverse enough.

Then I guess it's a good thing that he has a stated goal of wanting to be diverse because of his own belief in it, not to please readers.

I find it quite likely that Giant will probably make mistakes at some point in the future, because he is human. I also find it likely that readers will then point it out and he will give thought to valid criticism and improve his writing, just as he has been doing over the past 10 years to great effect. You can't learn without trying, and you can't improve without being willing to try and fail.

Roland St. Jude
2013-11-19, 06:03 PM
Sheriff: The thread the OP links to was locked and shouldn't be restarted. If The Giant wants to reopen this or if some moderator for this section wants to do so and closely supervise it, that's their prerogative. But please don't restart locked threads just because you think or hope it'll go better this time.