PDA

View Full Version : 3.P DMing one off. Advice, thoughts?

johnnyripper
2013-11-19, 08:28 PM
Hey, I will be DMing a one off (obviously) over the thanksgiving break. I think there will be 4-5 PCs, who will be level 12 and who are not big optimizers (hardly bother to look at handbooks I link them to). I had an idea for the final battle to be against a typical adventuring party such as themselves. I was thinking a sorcerer focused on cold spells, an oracle (probably haunted and battle perhaps?), Barbarian (Intimidating Glare, Terrifying Howl, Superstitious and Eater of Spells), and a swordsage (focused in setting sun). Probably make them all human for the ease of it. None of the party really has decided what they are making and I do not want the final encounter to be their exact weakness, just some other adventuring party.

I was wondering if anyone has a builds they would share that might fill these character, other suggestions the enemies, any interesting puzzles (they really enjoy logic puzzles, we had the 9 queens problem and they really liked it), or anything to chime in with. I will likely scale the enemy team to match the state of the PCs in terms of spells remaining and health. Was considering doing an off table roll, it is 20, the enemy group has a surprise round, roll a 1, party gets a surprise round and anything else they start on equal footing.

This will be railroaded due to the nature of the one off, but I am likely going to roll with creativity they can come up with. The sequence I was thinking was:
1. encounter with random person struggling on the side of the road. It will be a god in disguise and if they help him, he will give them some nice item.

2. Sneak into a cave past some lower level guards. Was thinking an enchanting sorcerer, a sunder monkey and some random fighter mooks. I will have the sunder to mess with them, but will present them the opportunity to get some even better gear to replace it before long.

3. Some lever based puzzle I have made. (I have some alternate ways around it just in case)

4. I am going to have a part to really let a skill monkey shine, with a lot of climb, swim, and balance check and rewarding them with some good loot if someone makes it.

5. Fight with a glass wyrm and some mook undead.

6. PCs vs. NPCs